ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #321
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

I want to order some oil, and the website gives me 2 categories: 4 Stroke Oil and 2 Stroke Oil - what's the difference?
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #322
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Your ninja is a 4 stroke twin inline engine.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #323
drdoug99
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Another newbie question.....

I don't have a rear stand for the bike, so if I do an oil change, it will have to be done using the side stand, unless anyone has any other recommendations on how to support the bike when doing an oil change.

Does the procedure remain the same whether the bike is on the side stand or centerstand/rear stand?

Thanks for any advice.
drdoug99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #324
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post

Does the procedure remain the same whether the bike is on the side stand or centerstand/rear stand?
yes
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM   #325
Rafalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Raf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 08

what exactly is "After the oil has completely drained out, install the engine oil drain plug with a new gasket" the new gasket.. Is that another peice u need to purchase, is it ok to reuse your old one?

Also, do I have to use a torque wrench, I cant seem to find a cheap one localy, the only one I find is like 89.99 the cheap one is this one and dont know how effective it would be http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en which doesnt even go to 145 lb -ft

Can i do it sans-torque wrench or is that a necessity?
Rafalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM   #326
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafalski View Post
what exactly is "After the oil has completely drained out, install the engine oil drain plug with a new gasket" the new gasket.. Is that another peice u need to purchase, is it ok to reuse your old one?

Also, do I have to use a torque wrench, I cant seem to find a cheap one localy, the only one I find is like 89.99 the cheap one is this one and dont know how effective it would be http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en which doesnt even go to 145 lb -ft

I have changed mine several times without replacing the drain plug gasket. Although after about 4 changes, you should probably replace it. as far as a torque wrench, it's not absolutely necessary, but does make sure that the plug doesn't get overtightened. It only requires 14 lb/ft for the drain plug and the oil filter bolt. Just make sure it doesn't get overtightened or you could damage the drain plug gasket. Then you'll have a leak.

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM   #327
rage42
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

the gasket is basically a washer that is slightly softer metal than your average washer so it will mold between your drain plug bolt and the oil pan. They are cheap, and supposed to be changed every oil change, but I've changed mine maybe once a year so far.

Last futzed with by rage42; October 21st, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: how about i fix the words so it makes sense :)
rage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM   #328
joyinc
ninjette.org member

Name: Joyce

Motorcycle(s): black 2010 ninja250

thats the torque wrench i use. I have a better more expensive one, but it doesnt have a low enough setting for the bolts. I would use it if you arent sure of the right amount of pressure. If you are like me and only use a rear stand, the wrench is too long to tighten the drain plug anyhow... I torque up the oil filter to spec, and then go by how that felt to do the drain plug.

As for the washer, you will be able to tell by looking at it. My first change I didnt bother, because I did the oil early so it still looked fine. After having the oil done at a shop when I took her in for her first check up, everything was overtightened, my o rings hadnt been changed and were squished, and I could tell that the washer needed replacing (and I need to find a new shop!)

good luck!
joyinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM   #329
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:

Also, do I have to use a torque wrench...
A torque wrench is undoubtedly the right way to go. That being said - I've never used one on my bike or car. I'm too cheap.

I usually get that baby nice and snug with the wrench and then give it one more firm tug.

This has always worked for me.

YMMV.

Old October 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM   #330
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:

Disclaimer: I'm anal and have OCD.

To me torque wrenches are a must. The last thing you want is to strip the threads on the crankcase (too tight) or spill oil while riding (too loose). I'm not sure if you have a Harbor Freight Tools around your area but I've found them to have the cheapest (though not the best) torque wrenches. Most say they are fine.

Lastly, I recommend replacing the washer each time. They should be less than a buck for each. I suggest buying a few at one time so you always have some handy whenever you need to do an oil change.

Good luck!
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM   #331
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Totaled 2010 Ninja 250r :(

I always buy Wix oil filters (thanks to kkim advising...)
Anyway they always include 2 new gaskets (o-rings for both the plug screw and filter itself)
harlumjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #332
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

those 2 o-rings are both for the oil filter. it doesn't come with a drain plug gasket. I know this because I use Wix filters as well. The drain plug gasket is an aluminum crush washer.

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM   #333
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
Disclaimer: I'm anal and have OCD.

I'm not sure if you have a Harbor Freight Tools around your area but I've found them to have the cheapest (though not the best) torque wrenches.
Wow - those are inexpensive.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...rce=googlebase

I was about to order one but noticed that they handle a range of 20-200 ft/lbs.

The plug only requires 14.5 ft/lbs.

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM   #334
kkim

Brian,

That wrench specs are in inch/pounds, not foot/pounds. To get the conversion, multiply the ft/lb spec by 12 to get in/lbs.

14.5 ft/lbs =174 in/lbs

Those HF wrenches are so cheap, I bought 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive torque wrenches for less than what you would pay for one 3/8" drive wrench from the "name" brand companies.

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM   #335
onetruevibe
Love Rival

"Thanks Kim. Wrench ordered" said Brian, walking to the cupboard for a double dose of vitamin C.

Old October 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #336
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Totaled 2010 Ninja 250r :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth250 View Post
those 2 o-rings are both for the oil filter. it doesn't come with a drain plug gasket. I know this because I use Wix filters as well. The drain plug gasket is an aluminum crush washer.
yes you are right I forgot lol!. So no I've never replaced the drain plug gasket...
harlumjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM   #337
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlumjp View Post
yes you are right I forgot lol!. So no I've never replaced the drain plug gasket...

I don't think I've ever replaced a sealing washer on a motorcycle oil drain plug. If it doesn't look deformed just reuse it.

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #338
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

I've only put a little under 1,500 miles on my bike this summer ( ), do you guys think I need to change my oil as part of the winterization process or will I be ok leaving it as is until I get a bit closer to 3k miles on the current oil?
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #339
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Anyone notice that the larger O-ring included with the Wix and KN filters are too big? In both thickness and circumference. I end up paying $4 at the dealership for a crappy little piece of rubber that actually fits. :P
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #340
setasai

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Anyone notice that the larger O-ring included with the Wix and KN filters are too big? In both thickness and circumference. I end up paying $4 at the dealership for a crappy little piece of rubber that actually fits. :P
Really? the KN-401 filters? I've used 1 wix and 1 KN (only done 2 oil changes so far) and havent found too much of a problem. They are slightly larger but if you oil it and wedge them into the grooves, they sit perfectly. I think they're designed to be slightly thicker so that they compress when tight.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #341
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Really? the KN-401 filters? I've used 1 wix and 1 KN (only done 2 oil changes so far) and havent found too much of a problem. They are slightly larger but if you oil it and wedge them into the grooves, they sit perfectly. I think they're designed to be slightly thicker so that they compress when tight.
Yes, I've used the KN-401 (this year) and the Wix 24941 (last year). Comparing the O-rings that came with these filters with the one I got from the dealership, they were definitely visibly different!

Squeezing in a thicker O-ring can be done, but how do you manage to cram in the extra length?
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #342
setasai

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Strange because the extra length wasn't noticeably difficult to squeeze in. Maybe the O-rings are different from the ones you were supposed to get. Did you take it back to the store and see if all were like that?

When I said there was more length, I didnt mean alot. It was maybe bulging just a little and if you keep pushing, it just works itself out. If you cant squeeze it in, I suspect a defective batch.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #343
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiegy2010 View Post
I've only put a little under 1,500 miles on my bike this summer ( ), do you guys think I need to change my oil as part of the winterization process or will I be ok leaving it as is until I get a bit closer to 3k miles on the current oil?
I would change it just before the bike was winterized.

Old October 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #344
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Link to original page on YouTube.

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #345
airmax
ninjette.org member

Name: airmax

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Hey guys how's it going - I'm new to the forums =)

I'm currently doing an oil change and accidentally unscrewed that bolt and some oil leaked out. Thinking it was the filter bolt, doh! (what a dummy) This is my first oil change on a motorcycle. Could someone please explain to me what that bolt is? Urgent! I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks guys
airmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #346
airmax
ninjette.org member

Anyone out there? Probably all out partying at Halloween parties! I am also trying to get my bike running so that I can get to a party

Please anyone that knows what that bolt holds please let me know Apparently I loosen that bolt and a some oil flushed out. I need to know what kind of oil it is so that I can top it off with some more.

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #347
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I don't have a clue - but I'm pretty sure it was just motor oil. I can't think of what other type of fluid would come out from that location.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #348
airmax
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input austxjg. I just went for a ride and everything seems fine. When that bolt was taken off, I remember a clear fluid. Think it can be transmission oil, clutch?

Ninjetta has a mobile site. This is pretty cool :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #349
kkim

James,

That's an oil drain location that was used on the previous gen ninjas. When they designed the new gens, they kept that oil drain plug location and then added another where they tell you to drain from. The problem with the old drain location is that if you strip the oil drain hole threads, you end up having to replace your engine cases to fix the drain hole.

I suggest you use the proper oil drain plug location provided on the new gens in the future.

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #350
airmax
ninjette.org member

So the neww gen has two oil drain plugs? Thank you so much. I'm currently at the gas station typing this. Have it on the back of my mind that something is not right.have a sick Feeling that something terrible is going to go wrong. I can now rest assure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #351
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNinja View Post
im due for my 300 mile inspection at the dealership tomorrow. wanted to get an oil change with it but they charge $87 for it. screw that ill do it myself with this thread as reference.
First inspection is at 600 miles, according to the factory service manual.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #352
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

This is a great oil change write up, probably one of the best I've seen for the 250r . I will be doing my first oil change in the next couple of weeks as I prep it for winter storage. I bought some Castrol Grand Prix 10w-40 motorcycle oil. I didn't feel like shelling out the bucks for synthetic when it's just going to be sitting in my garage during winter. Perhaps I'll switch to synthetic after the first couple of rides in the spring and switch to another filter brand like K&N as my local store only had Fram. Has anyone obtained good results with the Castrol oil? I've used Castrol in my cars and they've always worked well.

As it's already been mentioned and confirmed, the gasket is 12mm. According to this website, http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/25892, the exact dimensions of the gasket is 12x22x2 and the oil drain plug is 12x15mm. O rings are 16mm and 90mm. It's a good website to refer to if you need odd parts and want to know the dimensions and sizes. There are diagrams of the entire bike and every part it seems with the part #s.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #353
Cuongism

Have you tried cycle gear? I get k&n's from them.

Old November 10th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #354
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Amazon.com
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #355
Cuongism

K&n 401

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #356
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Yes. KN 401 fits as does the WIX 24941. I've used them and they are both very good. However, since I modified my set up with a Bergman adaptor I now use spin-on filters. Sooo much easier.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #357
Cuongism

So it looks like I'm missing a couple of parts from the filter.

My filter doesn't have that top cap and I also don't have a washer for the spring. I checked cheapcycleparts.com, but can't find replacement parts for it. Is it something generic I can get at any motorcycle shop? Anyone know the size to the washer? I also want to replace the bolt to the oil filter since it looks very rounded. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I hope it's not harmful not having that top cap. I've already done two oil changes without it so far

Old November 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #358
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Were you looking at the right diagram on cheapcycleparts.com?: http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/25892.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #359
kkim

Cuong,

those are bike specific parts and should be installed when you do your next oil change or sooner.

Old November 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #360
Cuongism

Haha thanks guys, I feel like an idiot now. I've been searching that site from my phone (about 99% of my web use is from my phone) and touchscreens are not able to scroll. I just went on my laptop and lo and behold, just scroll right for the oil filter diagram. Thanks again!