ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Buzz, buzz, buzz . . . (handlebar vibration)

. . . is the feeling (or lack thereof) in my hands after a decent length ride. Nice ride along the coast today, could barely work my keys to get into the house afterwards.

So I'm thinking of switching out stock grips with a gel-grip to cut down on vibration. 1) Does it actually help? 2) Any recommendations for grips? I see much talk about Pro Grips - any particular model recommended?

I'd also love to see a pic of anyone with some colored grips installed, just to see how it looks before I do the conservative thing and order black.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM   #2
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Hmmm, thinking maybe heavier bar ends would help, too. Also, anyone used the GripPuppies grip jackets? Advice welcome on getting feeling back into my hands.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Heavier bar ends could help, and I know some folks swear by filling up the bars with some type of lead shot to make them even heavier (and lower the frequency of any vibration). You might try and find other sources for the vibration as well, has it changed recently? One place to look is to make sure all of the motor mounts are tight; if one of them has rattled loose it can cause significantly more vibration throughout the entire bike.

Also, don't overlook the improvement that's possible by changing up your riding position and your grip itself. Try and consciously hold the bars looser, barely resting your hands on them. The grips do not have to be held tightly to provide proper bar input, you only have to hold on well enough to be able to work the levers, and that's about it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM   #4
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Heavier bar ends could help, and I know some folks swear by filling up the bars with some type of lead shot to make them even heavier (and lower the frequency of any vibration). You might try and find other sources for the vibration as well, has it changed recently? One place to look is to make sure all of the motor mounts are tight; if one of them has rattled loose it can cause significantly more vibration throughout the entire bike.

Also, don't overlook the improvement that's possible by changing up your riding position and your grip itself. Try and consciously hold the bars looser, barely resting your hands on them. The grips do not have to be held tightly to provide proper bar input, you only have to hold on well enough to be able to work the levers, and that's about it.
Good advice. Motor mounts are fine, but riding style almost certainly a part of the issue - the only time I've made it out to the track, my pro racer friend was harping on me needing to loosen my arms to allow better body shift and bike control. I ride, well, er, a bit clenched up.

That said, still considering compensating for bad habits and dampening the vibration a bit with a farkle.

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have a set of Gel Pro Grips. They are much better than the stock grips, that's for sure. As far as reducing vibration goes they do a little, but after a a long ride you really can't tell. Loosening up the grip on the handlebars helps alot along with a pair of gloves that have some kind of cushion or padding in the palm area. My winter gloves make rides real nice because of their thickness.
These are some things that have helped reduce some of the buzzing for me;

* Better tires w/ proper balancing
* Gel Pro Grips
* Relaxed riding style ( loose arms, shoulders, thighs & hands)
* Sprocket change (15/42)
* 20w 50 semi synthetic oil
* Recovered seat w/extra padding and and extra cushion for long rides
* Ear Plugs (yes reducing sound can contribute to reducing the fatigue that comes with buzzing vibrations)
Attached Images
File Type: png grips.jpg_thumb.png (481.6 KB, 13 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I tend to agree with what Alex stated above... I noticed the same thing the first long ride I went on that my hands would get numb. I was a very spirited ride through the canyon and I was a little nervous so holding on pretty tight. Since then I've made a conscious effort not to grip the grips so tightly and it's made a huge difference. I have swapped out bar ends twice... different weighted ends make a difference as well. I also have Pro-Grips and love them... you can see pictures in my profile. Good luck and ride safe!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Might I also suggest if you havent already, lowering the clutch and brake levers as that may cause subconscious adjustment of the riding position to compensate for it. I found that a combination of changing these angles to a lowered position and loosening the grip goes a long way in terms of long term comfort.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Yeah I'd say the biggest thing that will help is loosening your grip on the bars.

Also, taller sprockets reduced highway vibration significantly, though mostly in the pegs.

Old January 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM   #9
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I've just put in an order for some gel grips. I agree on more relaxed riding position, but I'm not that bad really. The local roads here are pretty cut up, so I think that is probably the biggest factor in the bike jarring around. Here is a standard road:

And one that is worse than usual but not uncommon:

Old January 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

gfloyd,
How's the motorcycle community in Barbados? I got a chance a few years ago to ride on some of the rural roads in Jamaica. Those roads you show remind me of some of those roads in Jamaica and Okinawa, Japan. Those roads don't help the ride of the Ninja at all. They are suited for some Enduros.

Old January 1st, 2011, 03:57 PM   #11
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
gfloyd,
How's the motorcycle community in Barbados? I got a chance a few years ago to ride on some of the rural roads in Jamaica. Those roads you show remind me of some of those roads in Jamaica and Okinawa, Japan. Those roads don't help the ride of the Ninja at all. They are suited for some Enduros.
I may be the only responsible street bike rider on the island. There are a bunch of rasta guys who ride - shirtless and helmetless - often pulling wheelies around the island and inbetween lanes of traffic. There is a decent MX community though, and a nice little track. A friend of mine just imported his Yamaha YZF600, so there will be two of us once he gets it running - I can't wait.

For street, there is some really good riding if you pick the right roads, not many cars in the countryside and the views and weather are amazing. But there isn't a ton of real estate, so rides are short, and if you are riding to get somewhere rather than riding by choosing the good roads, the roads - as you see below - aren't so great.

So weather , scenery , roads and good company .

Old January 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM   #12
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

It isn't necessarily about relaxing your riding position, but instead only relaxing your grip on the bars. It is the firm grip applied by your fingers which causes the numbness and soreness in your hands. You might try riding with your fingers not touching the bars (covering the levers would accomplish this also, but you might not want to to that), so that only your palms are resting on the bars. If necessary, add your pinky and maybe your ring finger for throttle manipulation, but otherwise keep your fingers loose and off the bars. This will help you develop the feel for manuevering the bike without squeezing the grips. I don't imagine it will take more than a couple of rides like this to start making into habit.

Indeed, it is a difficult habit to break, especially when already focused on the million other factors of riding. Because of this, it is difficult to even realize you are doing it until, as you said, you get off the bike and can barely put your keys in the door :P . But, with a conscious effort, you should be able to break the habit in only a couple of rides. It's been a little bit, but I think it only took me maybe a day or two of riding to relax my grip once I knew to actually think about it.

Old January 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
...There are a bunch of rasta guys who ride - shirtless and helmetless - often pulling wheelies around the island and in between lanes of traffic.
I saw some of those same type of riders in Jamaica. They spotted me right off because I had on a helmet. They ride very dangerously sometimes and too close to you. Like Barbados the roads were small and narrow many, except for the main hwys are in need of repair. Scenery and weather was excellent.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #14
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Agree with the above...
1. I have the ProGrip 719's and they do help a little. (mine are all black)
2. Lighter grip on the bars.
3. I have the heavy Throttlemeister bar ends and they do help as well.
4. I have bar risers, this will raise your arms a bit which changes the 3 point position of your seating/lean on the bike... so not as much weight/pressure on your hands/wrists.
5. Gloves with padded palms, wearing good gear may make you more comfortable.

These are all really personal preferences and may not work for everyone but some food for thought and ideas that may help you.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM   #15
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Hmmmm, I don't have a buzzing problem. Maybe at 12-13k they vibrate a little, but it does not happen/bother me at all.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM   #16
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

I use my ninja to commute mon-fri to work. It's between 2 and 2 1/2 hours one way so I ride for a total of 4 1/2 hours a day, 5 days a week. I live in Japan so the traffic is pretty crazy at times. Because I drive so much every day I noticed very quickly my bad posture giving me incredible discomfort, especially in my hands, back, and my butt. A lot was solved when I ordered a Buttbuffer seat pad which in turn helped correct my posture because I was more comfortable. I still had a little problems with my hands and gripping too tight but not as much. I finally solved my problems with my hands when I did some fine tunning on the angle of my clutch and brake levers which forced my hands into a better position that was more comfortable.

Another trick is (if they have them in the states) to wear a super thin pair of white cotton gloves as inserts, the same as what taxi drivers wear.

I recommend starting from your center (spine) and working your way to your extremities (hands and feet) when it's dealing with fatigue or pain.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #17
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I switched to gel grips shortly after I started riding, that helped some. For my 824 mile ride to GA last fall I installed foam grips, intending to switch back to the gels when I got back. I liked the foam grips so much I left them on. Foams hold water and don't last as long, but at less than $10 delivered off of ebay I'll just replace them as needed. Holding water isn't an issue because I wear waterproof gloves.

Using compressed air it only takes a minute to swap grips.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #18
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Hmm, I have this problem and have those Shogun rubber bar ends on. Would changing back to stock help?
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #19
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Probably. Weights at the ends of the bars help dampen vibration.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #20
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Hmm, I have this problem and have those Shogun rubber bar ends on. Would changing back to stock help?
yes
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #21
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Long ride with new Progrip 719s, stayed on mostly good roads. Also tightened up the bolts on the bars, which were a bit loose. Worked, buzz countered.

Old February 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM   #22
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Good stuff, glad you figured it out
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #23
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): '03 ZX9R, '03 ZX7R & wife's '09 250R

Too lazy to walk 10 ft into the garage to check, but are the bars on the ninjette's hollow? If so, a bar snake would probably do the trick.