ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Winter gear

Unfortunately it's starting to get cold where I live; however, barring snow Im hoping to ride all year long.

1) What are some winter jackets and gloves you recommend?

2) I currently own a Dianese jacket, size 52 and it fits like a glove. So would it make sense to buy a size 54 to stuff extra layers in it? I don't want to do the same to the 52 because I feel like that's too tight but I know the more room for friction, the greater potential for roadrash.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Heated gear.

/end thread

(check out the Gerbing stuff)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

could always throw a large hoody over your jacket.

Old September 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Gerbring electric gloves are a must for under 40 riding and i mention Gerbring because if a problem occurs....they send you a new set ( exchange) the same day. Used sno-mo suits are well under $100 on e-bay....get a 2 piece suit...much warmer. Cheap-o $8 spandex hoods work better than felt or wool becuase they block the breeze. Basic gloves are about $160+.....If that's too pricey....cheack Barre Army Navy online and see if they have cold weather trigger finger leather palm mittens. I got mine for about $12....for me...theyre good to about 40 degrees.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Brian,

My advice is to put the bike away once we get a forecast that involves snow. Once it snows, road crews use a metric butt-ton of salt and such. This salt stays on the roads long after the snow leaves.

I went for a ride when I was home for spring break last year. It was salty and gross on the roads still. I thought I cleaned up my bike well enough when I put it away, but apparently I didn't. When I got home for summer break, I had lots of rusted/oxidized bolt heads and a brand new chain that was covered in rust. Lots of time that I could have spent riding was then spent... on cleaning

Basically, as soon as it starts snowing, plan on not riding. That's always been my plan. I'm on a bicycle year round, but the ninja stays in the garage.

Just my If you decide to ride on days that the roads are clear, there's some really pretty places to take some pictures in our area. Get some good ones with the ninja.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #6
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

I ride 30 minutes to work each day before dawn. Leather gloves get me there OK at 50F and above. This year I did come into some A* textile gloves and they seem a whole lot warmer in the mornings. It was 53 the other morning and I rode 2 hours to another city and it A* gloves worked great. I had a $10 balaclava on that cut out the breeze on my neck wonderfully.

Never the less, when it gets down below 50°, I have a set of ATV muffs I put on. It looks nerdy as hell, but it works. I did take some 1" thick foam and cut it into a 2x4" oval with holes in the middle for handlebar and cables. These foam cutouts let me seal the updraft in the mitts out. http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-92185-B.../dp/B001Q4YMXA What makes these so great is that they have a ring sewn in the cuff that fits my jacket sleeve perfectly. I can literally ride with no gloves.

Below 40, I have no interest in riding.

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #7
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

I'm also interested in some cold weather gear/accessories. I'm looking at Gerbing products and was wondering what you guys actually have/use. I want the heated gloves and maybe the jacket liner(or an actual jacket), but then you need a connection to your battery and what not. My questions are:

Have any of you guys mounted these yet? If so, what? Pics?

What other electrical accessories have you added without draining the battery? (LEDs, Accessory plug, GPS...)

What's your take on heated liners vs heated clothing?

I guess that's all the questions I have(remember) for now. Thanks in advanced.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

I'm going to attempt the same.
The salt isn't so bad, as long as you keep your bike washed every week if possible. The same goes for cars.

I usually take the nice wheels off my car for the winter so they don't get too messed up by the road salt, in case I can't make it to a car wash quickly.

Just curious, what do you guys use to keep the breeze off your neck when the temperatures are a little cooler? I find that this is the coldest part of my body usually.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #9
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

I picked up the freeze out balaclava from cycle gear. Their stuffs on sale right now I spent like $10 or so I think.
It works wonders, I did have to modify with some scissors to have it for just right though.
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
What other electrical accessories have you added without draining the battery? (LEDs, Accessory plug, GPS...)
Wiring your bike for a 12v connection is easy! You can buy a 12v car outlet socket on EBay, or at Advance Auto parts for like $3. And it's a simple matter of connecting the leads to the battery and to ground. Takes 5 minutes on the '08 Ninette. I actually wired the positive wire into the taillight fuse on the fusebox (just slip the wire on the fuse and put it back in the fusebox), so that it only works when the bike is on.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the bike's battery can't supply as much current as a car's can, and the fusebox fuse is only 10 amp I believe. It's unlikely you're going to melt anything with just cellphones and a GPS, but don't go plugging an air compressor into it :P

I have my 12v outlet under the rear seat; alternatively you can get a waterproof socket and put it up front by the handlebars somewhere.

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
I picked up the freeze out balaclava from cycle gear. Their stuffs on sale right now I spent like $10 or so I think.
It works wonders, I did have to modify with some scissors to have it for just right though.
This one right? http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ava/web1008338

Can you see out of that thing ok? It does look warm though.

Old October 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

i'd LOVE some heated gloves. i wear a compression shirt, thermal, hoodie, then my icon motorhead leather jacket. i feel no wind except for my neck, hands, and feet
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #13
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Brian,

My advice is to put the bike away once we get a forecast that involves snow. Once it snows, road crews use a metric butt-ton of salt and such. This salt stays on the roads long after the snow leaves.

I went for a ride when I was home for spring break last year. It was salty and gross on the roads still. I thought I cleaned up my bike well enough when I put it away, but apparently I didn't. When I got home for summer break, I had lots of rusted/oxidized bolt heads and a brand new chain that was covered in rust. Lots of time that I could have spent riding was then spent... on cleaning

Basically, as soon as it starts snowing, plan on not riding. That's always been my plan. I'm on a bicycle year round, but the ninja stays in the garage.

Just my If you decide to ride on days that the roads are clear, there's some really pretty places to take some pictures in our area. Get some good ones with the ninja.
REALLY appreciate the advice! I didn't think about how miserable the roads will be with the salt. Thanks a ton! I'm going to ride with my brother out to 536 and into West Virginia. I'll get some pics up stat!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #14
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Rev'it makes some awesome triple-layer textile jackets. Outer layer (which I wear alone in the summer), waterproof/windproof layer, and a thermal quilting layer. You can put together whatever layers you want to suit the weather conditions.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote