ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 5th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #1
mikecoscia
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black Ninja @50r

Battery Tender or Run Bike Once in Awhile?

So it is starting to get too cold to ride the bike. In order to keep the battery healthy, can I just let it run for 10-15 minutes once a week or so? Or is a battery tender a better idea?
mikecoscia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #2
W8INLINE
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

The idea is to not run the bike at all during winter months because they say moisture buildup is created and you want to avoid this. Ideally you want to store your battery somewhere heated and check the voltage once in a while. If it dips low charge it but don't leave it on the charger all winter. If you have a battery tender which shuts off if the batter is fully charged, then you can leave it on always

Having said that, I know people who have had their bikes for over 5 years, start it them every couple of weeks and they are still fine and never owned a battery tender
W8INLINE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #3
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Once you winterize the bike properly, leave it 'till you start riding it again in the Spring. Check the battery at least once a month and charge it when needed, don't let it get discharged and possibly freeze. Running the bike for 10 min at idle will not recharge the battery and you may actually be using more of it's charge to start it than you replace, discharging it even faster than if you let it sit.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #4
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

A nice write-up on winterizing your bike:

Part 1:
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/11128...our-motorcycle

Part 2:
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/11159...cycle-part-two
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Eric, I don't know about you but I just winterized my bike by changing the oil (and filter) and I put new brakes and tires on it. Being a badass biker, I ride all winter long. As a matter of fact, it is my favorite time to ride. I might even do a track day in December just to prove how tough I am.

Old November 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #6
mikecoscia
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Thanks, I always put stabilzer in my gas at every fill up as I only use my bike every two weeks or so. I have stands, just need to get the battery tender! Now to do a search and find out how to remove the seat and access the battery terminals...lol.

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #7
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

My bike is always ON the battery tender, when I'm not riding it. It is now 3 years old and still on the original battery. I use Marine Sta-Bil in every tank and ride during the winter!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #8
expat
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

I have done both. If you run it, I always make sure it gets hot enough to evaporate any condensation.
These days I keep mine on a tender over the winter but still run them occasionally.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #9
mikecoscia
ninjette.org member

Okay, bought the Battery Tender Jr. I have my seat off and am looking at the battery and just had one quick question before I hook it up. Do I just match the colors? Red to red, black to black? The directions made sure to make sure as some vehicles have a postive and ground and others a negative. Thanks!

Old November 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecoscia View Post
Do I just match the colors? Red to red, black to black?
Yup.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecoscia View Post
Okay, bought the Battery Tender Jr. I have my seat off and am looking at the battery and just had one quick question before I hook it up. Do I just match the colors? Red to red, black to black? The directions made sure to make sure as some vehicles have a postive and ground and others a negative. Thanks!
If the bike is in an unheated space, I'd remove the battery and bring it indoors.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #12
mikecoscia
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
If the bike is in an unheated space, I'd remove the battery and bring it indoors.
Really? I called up the company that makes the Battery Tender and asked if I could leave it in an unheated space while the battery is charging and they said it was okay. Hmm. Well I hope to ride if a few more times before winter really kicks in. What temps do you consider unhealthy for the battery that it should be brought indoors to charge?

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #13
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): '03 ZX9R, '03 ZX7R & wife's '09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Eric, I don't know about you but I just winterized my bike by changing the oil (and filter) and I put new brakes and tires on it. Being a badass biker, I ride all winter long. As a matter of fact, it is my favorite time to ride. I might even do a track day in December just to prove how tough I am.

Hahahaha come to MT. I will buy your hot chocolate. Got snows?