ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Question New Years Day Ride

When all my riding was on a road bike there was a group of us that used to take a New Years Day ride no matter the weather, unless there was ice. Here in Nebraska New Years is in the teens or low 20's and even at 15 mph that gave you a 6 degree wind chill to deal with.

With the Huskers winning the Gator Bowl and some sunshine still out there I decided to start myself a new tradition and take the Ninja for a ride to start the new year. Besides what better way to keep the battery topped off?

It may have been 40 degrees out but at 45 - 60 mph the wind chill is still in the low 20's. Use cycling clothing as a base layer and good to go.

Not counting SoCal, the south, and Kelly where it is reasonably warm, did anybody else get a ride in?

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
kkim

Good for you, Don! Nothing like perseverance to get off the ole' butt. My congratulations!! So, how was the ride?

I've been stuck behind the TV all day installing a new AV receiver. I should go for a ride, though... the rain has stopped for now (but threatening) and it's 78 degrees.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

No ride today, or the last three days...... We have been clearing the land out back for a pool.

When we lived in San Diego. The Harley guys & sportbike guys got together for the "Dead Bird Run". We all rode up to Mt Palomar for a chicken cook out, Was totally awesome

Who knows if they still do it ??????

Here's an old pic from one them. I had some tread before we left for the day, we went on one run (up/down the Mt.)..... Thought the road was wet on the way back up < just lost some tread LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dead bird.jpg (139.4 KB, 6 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
So, how was the ride?
At this point in my riding life I would say there is no such thing as a bad ride, just some are better than others. This one was a great one since it had been two weeks since I had been able to ride because of the weather. Re-traced a 30 mile route I used to ride on the rode bike. Very different doing it at 60 mph vs 18-20 mph. Also first time I have been able to get out on the back roads and get some speed. Verrrrry different wind pressure from the 45 on the commute to the 60 out on the back road. Just need to do more of that to be comfortable. At least I didn't have a death grip.

By the way oh wise one, spedo check - 7500 rpm for 60 mph?

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
...speedo check - 7500 rpm for 60 mph?
Sounds in the ballpark, but both the tach and the speedo have pretty wide tolerances, so it's never going to be calibrated perfectly with another bike. Easiest way to confirm true speed is to use a GPS, but there are certainly lower-tech ways as well, like holding a constant speed for a mile between the highway markers while keeping track of how long it took to travel that measured mile.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #6
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I took my first real ( not including my 2 rides to the gas station previously :P ) street ride today. Took the street route from my home ( in the Mission/Bernal Heights district ) to work ( Sunset district ) and it was awesome fun. I guess for a n00b like me I am way easy to please. Traffic was light today and I rode in the morning. I'll probably ride during the weekends until I get comfortable enough to ride during morning rush hour traffic to work.

Last futzed with by SF-Dug; January 2nd, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Have fun Dug - I love commuting to work on the Ninja. I have found that the focus required really clears the head both on the way in and on the way home at night. Keep the radar in the search mode at all times and you will be fine.

Now when you start being able to start up on the SF hills we will know that you are getting the hang of things.

Old January 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I blew 45 minutes today.

Scraped up the finish on the side of my boots. This bike handles wonderfully.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM   #9
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Rode it all around yesterday (NYeve) and then home early this morning (2am NYday), so I guess that counts. It was cold, but fun! Just had to watch out for the crazies!!!

Oh wait, nevermind, you said SoCal didn't count...

Travis

Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post
It was cold, but fun! Just had to watch out for the crazies!!!

Oh wait, nevermind, you said SoCal didn't count...

Travis
OK Travis first define "cold" then depending upon that answer, the fact that you had to watch out for crazies (but isn't that the norm for SoCal) maybe we'll count the ride

Don