Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old January 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Taking turns

Hey everyone!! It seems like when I am taking turns I always lean in a little too hard and end up having to straighten out when I get midway through the turn. I like carving corners but I don't do it at like 90mph. I'm thinking I need to roll on the throttle more as I hit the apex, but I'm not quite sure what I am doing wrong. It feels good going into the turn, just not good coming out. I try to follow my lines, high in - high out and hit the apex, but like I said I end up having to back off a little to keep from taking the corner too tight. Any suggestions? Besides go read a book...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
It seems like when I am taking turns I always lean in a little too hard and end up having to straighten out when I get midway through the turn.
Dont lean in so hard on turn in.......
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

You may also be early-apexing a bit, turning in just a little earlier than you shoud, bringing you closer to the inside of the turn than you expected. Pushing the bars confidently will get you to the proper lean angle sooner than pressing them too gently, and getting to the proper lean angle sooner actually means that you will need less maximum lean angle for any given turn, and that's a good thing!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

yes, you should be rolling on the throttle around the apex. that will naturally begin to pick the bike up as you finish the rest of your turn.

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I tend to agree with you, but Keith Code just wrote up an article in Motorcyclist where he said that on a properly functioning sportbike, rolling on the throttle by itself while exiting a turn does nothing to lift the bike back up. His view is that riders are unconsciously providing bar pressure to lift the bike back up while they are also rolling on the throttle.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Broom
Track Junkie

yeah, he might be right. physics say that the bike wants to stand up when its in motion. rolling on the throttle might not make a big enough difference to matter, but it will change your exit line at least. keep going the same speed and you'll just keep circling with no bar inputs. get on the gas and centrifugal force pushes your turn wider.... in theory anyways. i really don't know what i'm talking about

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #7
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Practice!

I'd say, find a safe place and practice! Try different things and find what works for you...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Hey thanks guys!! I noticed it and I wanted to get rid of any bad habits before they started to become a problem. I talked to my boss (races go carts) and he said it sounds like I'm hitting the apex too early so I need to turn in a little later. I guess I just get so excited to get into the turn I forget what I'm supposed to do during it. Anyways, we'll see what happens. No riding for a while. Friday it's supposed to be 9 degrees. That's unheard of around here.

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #9
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Besides go read a book...
Yes, this is a book recommendation

Keith Code's Total Control changed my cornering forever. I didn't know what I was doing wrong till I read the book. Vastly improved my cornering. There's a great section on when to initiate the turn and how to hit the apex...

Out of all the MC books out there, I think this is the best for cornering.

Old January 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #10
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowuff View Post
Keith Code's Total Control
Actually, you're getting the book and author mixed up. Lee Parks wrote "Total Control" and Keith Code wrote "Twist of the Wrist". I have Parks' book and want to get Keith Code's second book "Twist of the Wrist 2"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg total_control.jpg (142.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg twist_wrist.jpg (33.6 KB, 837 views)
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

So which one has the good article on cornering then? I'm confused.

Old January 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #12
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Your totally right... Lee Parks... He's the man! I haven't actually read "A Twist of the Wrist" yet. It's on my list of books to look for next time I go to Half Price Books...

Total Control is the book I was talking about. Just had the author wrong.

Last futzed with by beowuff; January 14th, 2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Adding clarification for book recommendation.

Old January 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #13
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

TnNinjaGirl..Total Control by Lee Parks is the book you want for cornering. One of Park's 10 rules that he wants you to "engrain in the brain" ha ha, I just made that up, is always keep the center of your body on the inside of the turn. Between the bike and the turn. His principles apply whether you are on a Harley or a Ninja of any kind. Look for it used at http://www.alibris.com/

beowuff..Twist of the Wrist2 is Keith Code's best book, according to a review I saw. I don't have any of his books, yet. I'm leaning (no pun intended) toward Wrist2. The reviewer said Code didn't completely grasp what he was trying to convey to the reader in the original "Wrist", but really made up for it in Wrist2.

Of course, everyone should read "Proficient Motorcycling" 2nd Edition by Hough, before any other book!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Broom
Track Junkie

twist of the wrist is pretty good, but if i remember right it might be a little advanced for novice street use.

Old January 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

If it feels like you're falling over in a turn, go faster. >:]
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #16
KnoxNinja
BRKDWN.

Name: Jimi

Motorcycle(s): 89 GPX250R, 89 GPZ500S

Step one: Don't follow my lines - they don't know where they're going.

I agree with Alex... definitely sounds like you're early apexing. Don't focus so much on leaning the bike. Just throttle smoothly through the turn. Let your speed dictate how much you lean, not the other way around.

I like to practice on the 90 degree turn out in Hardin Valley. It's a nice, predictable turn with lots of room and visibility. There's a subdivision right down the road where you can turn around to hit it again the other way.
KnoxNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #17
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Thumbs up

i read twist of the wrist when it first came out, and it made me a much better rider instantly. countersteering especially made the difference for me, but other information such as how the bike's suspension works, to road conditions...all good stuff. it IS abit advanced for the early rider, but it definately changed the way i operated my motorcycle, and probably saved my life!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #18
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
i read twist of the wrist when it first came out, and it made me a much better rider instantly.
After a few drinks........... Taking Turns took on a whole new meaning
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i got a turning question as well...

how about a long left turn that tightens up later on? there is this one stretch of road that i rode. it is a two-lane road on a decline. it is a moderate arc that turns left, but halfway down the hill, unexpectedly tightened up. when i hit it that section of road, i was going at about 50-60 mph so i was afraid to get off of the throttle. my line was messed up and i was barely able to stay within my lane. i am just glad that there was no one in the lane next to me.

are there any easy techniques for that sort of condition? thanks in advance.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #20
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

I always leave enough lean left in reserve for decreasing radius turns.

IMO, you shouldn't be going very fast coming into any given turn if you don't know what the whole turn is like or can't see it. Meaning, if a decreasing radius turn is coming up you should know it so you know not to be blasting through the first part of the turn only to meet the 2nd part of the turn and be in trouble. And if you don't know it's there, be going slow enough that you can just lean more when you hit the tighter part.

There's a few of these on the road I ride. I know it well enough that I can carry decent speed through the first part and know when I need to brake a little to bleed off speed for the tighter part. But I took it very slow until I remembered.

Old January 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #21
Doug
Husband of Nijette Owner

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Lots of them

hang out by the white line a little longer and try to maintain a constant radius around the turn. I always try to stay a constant distance from the right hand edge of the road. Forget about apexing and just follow the road.

Old January 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #22
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Hey everyone!! It seems like when I am taking turns I always lean in a little too hard and end up having to straighten out when I get midway through the turn.
was thinking about this and wanted to add that you might be fixating on the apex of the turn. we tend to go where we look, so you may wanna try looking through the turn. probably easier to do with corners you're familiar with of course, but this may be why you're coming in too...'steep'.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #23
SV-Mark
Never enough time

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 690sm, ex250, kdx200, nc50, z50

Twist of the wrist II, get on the brakes later, get on the gas sooner, hang to the outside till you can see through the corner, tip it in and get on the gas

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #24
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

this may help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound wave View Post
i got a turning question as well...

How about a long left turn that tightens up later on? There is this one stretch of road that i rode. It is a two-lane road on a decline. It is a moderate arc that turns left, but halfway down the hill, unexpectedly tightened up. When i hit it that section of road, i was going at about 50-60 mph so i was afraid to get off of the throttle. My line was messed up and i was barely able to stay within my lane. I am just glad that there was no one in the lane next to me.

Are there any easy techniques for that sort of condition? Thanks in advance.
decreasing radius.JPG
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #25
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
IMO, you shouldn't be going very fast coming into any given turn if you don't know what the whole turn is like or can't see it.
++++++1000

If you are on unfamiliar roads, slow down! If you find the road has fun curves when you've been on it a few times, THEN speed up.

Better alive and slow then fast and dead...

Old February 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #26
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowuff View Post
++++++1000

If you are on unfamiliar roads, slow down! If you find the road has fun curves when you've been on it a few times, THEN speed up.

Better alive and slow then fast and dead...
+1 ^ Take the first run on an unfamiliar road easy to get used to the turns and also to check for road hazards. According to Kieth codes suggestions, he states to try and picture your favorite track or even road in your head and use different reference points etc. to see where you can make a change to improve time.
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #27
Jane Honda
ninjette.org member

Name: Kris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Hey thanks guys!! I noticed it and I wanted to get rid of any bad habits before they started to become a problem. I talked to my boss (races go carts) and he said it sounds like I'm hitting the apex too early so I need to turn in a little later. I guess I just get so excited to get into the turn I forget what I'm supposed to do during it. Anyways, we'll see what happens. No riding for a while. Friday it's supposed to be 9 degrees. That's unheard of around here.

I had the same problem of hitting an apex too early. Although, I wasn't leaning in enough. If you view a corner, think of your lines, and try to go a little straighter, then make your turn a little later. (am I making sense? Maybe one of the other riders here can put it into a better perspective) This is where you can get a little more lean angle.

Also, how are you leaning into the corner? Are you shifting your bottom to the inside, or are you shifting your upper body, or both?
Jane Honda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #28
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

The thing about the 250 and corners is that you have to aim well. If you turn in too fast and find yourself drifting to the inside faster than you like, on a bigger bike you can just pick up the throttle a little bit and increase your corner speed to match. Not so much on the 250. You either hit your mark or you didn't. And if you didn't hit your mark, your drive is lost.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #29
kkim

I agree... and that's what makes the 250 such a great learning tool! excellent observations.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #30
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I'm going to try lane positioning more. I usually find myself taking corners and choosing a line that is least likely to hit any gravel, even if there isnt any gravel in the road.

Another problem I have sometimes is taking sharp corners (about 90 degrees) too wide and getting too close to the edge of my lane before the turn is complete.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #31
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
Another problem I have sometimes is taking sharp corners (about 90 degrees) too wide...
There are 3 things that I think would normally cause this...

1) Entering the corner too fast.
2) Not leaning the bike over enough.
3) Incorrect body position.

Again, the books above might help you figure out what's going wrong and give good suggestions on how to correct it.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM   #32
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I feel kind of stupid... The problem wasn't my riding style, it was the shock preload. It was set on 1 from the factory and that's where it stayed. Until the other day that is. Set it on 3 and wow is she a different bike. Seems like all my turning problems are gone. Weird.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #33
Jane Honda
ninjette.org member

Name: Kris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Yay! It's not you!
Jane Honda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM   #34
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
I feel kind of stupid... The problem wasn't my riding style, it was the shock preload. It was set on 1 from the factory and that's where it stayed. Until the other day that is. Set it on 3 and wow is she a different bike. Seems like all my turning problems are gone. Weird.
can anyone explain this alittle?
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM   #35
kkim

setting the rear shock to a higher number makes it stiffer and as a result raises the back end of the bike a bit. In doing that, the front end (forks) get steeper and that allows the bike to turn a bit quicker.

I'm assuming TNG was feeling like the bike wouldn't turn, so raising the rear end preload helped her bike turn quicker and resulted in it being a bit more responsive to rider input in the turns.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #36
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

It feels alot less "sloshy" in the turns. It's like it'd sink down and I felt like I needed to correct it by leaning in the turn less. I can now enter and exit the turns more aggressively because my suspension isn't sinking in and it's staying tight and firm. I think...

Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #37
KnoxNinja
BRKDWN.

Name: Jimi

Motorcycle(s): 89 GPX250R, 89 GPZ500S

Quote:
It feels alot less "sloshy" in the turns. It's like it'd sink down and I felt like I needed to correct it by leaning in the turn less. I can now enter and exit the turns more aggressively because my suspension isn't sinking in and it's staying tight and firm. I think...
Them's fightin' words! Dragooon
KnoxNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #38
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Taking curves with gravel

I have read the posts and I do not have a lot of experience I was practicing my curves (getting much better ) and on my last semi-tight curve BAM! gravel -- I kept looking ahead and hoped for the best, but I really was not too sure at the moment if I was going to make it. I knew brakes would have been a major NO, I just eased off the throttle a hair and passed thru the gravel then went on my way -- I was not going fast since I am new with curves and I know later I will be going faster than 35 (I know I have to go faster), what do you do when you are going faster with gravel?
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #39
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Does your foot pressure go light on the outside peg?
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #40
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I don't think so, but remember I am new at this so I am not too sure what this has to do with it. I am not trying to be a smart*&* about it, I am just don't understand, so please do not be offended.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote