ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Join.me screen sharing / web conferencing

Hi folks -

Just came across join.me, and felt it was worth a mention here. It's a spinoff/new service from logmein.com, but it's unique enough and cool enough that it stands on its own. I can't be the only one here who has to support friends and family from time to time with their computer problems. In the past I've tried all types of remote desktop viewing and control, from Timbuktoo to VNC to Remote Desktop / Remote Help, etc, with varying amounts of success. They all work, of course, but sometimes they are clunky enough to set up, that even that becomes an issue before you get to the real problem at hand anyway.

join.me is dirt-simple. And free. And when you're done using it, it goes away completely by default. Basically, the person who wants to share their screen goes to the site, clicks "share", and it downloads a tiny app (mac or PC). They run that app, and they are immediately logged in to the service and are available for screen sharing. At the top of the screen, it shows them a 9 digit code. The person who wants to view the screen goes to the website, enters that code, and they are immediately viewing the presenters screen. Takes only seconds; no install, no fuss, no muss, no fee. When the presenter quits out, it deletes the app from wherever it was downloaded to (though there is an option to keep it there if you choose, but there's little advantage with a high-speed internet connection that can pull down the latest version in < 5 seconds anyway). Once you are viewing the shared screen you can request mouse control, etc.

Nothing earthshattering about the capabilities themselves, gotomeeting, logmein, dimdim, and even the old standby's like webex and livemeeting have had similar features for years. What's new is that it is free (not a trial, but completely free), no account to sign up, and dirt simple to operate on either side of the connection. Definitely worth checking out if you do any remote support and really need to see someone's screen quickly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Sounds about like Team Viewer. Team Viewer has a portable version, which I keep on my USB sticks for when I am not using a computer of my own that I can install applications and plugins on.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's similar to teamviewer, but one difference is that the viewer in join.me has to install nothing; everything is viewed within a browser with flash. Teamviewer also has a whole bunch more clicking and configuring on both sides before the screensharing actually starts.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Thank you Alex. I've spent several hours this month trying to help my parents troubleshoot the computer I built for them more than a decade ago from the other side of the state.

Old December 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

This is awesome, thanks for sharing alex!

I've used logmein but people I helped seemed reluctant to install it. This is one less step (which is important because you should be doing ALL the steps for them!).
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Bump for a great tool. Was able to use it a few days ago to quickly help out a fellow ninjette user, and it worked a treat.

Old October 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My twin brother uses this all the time (tech support).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote