ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 6th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

Name: Kaci

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Carb Issues...? HELP

I'm having a little trouble with my bike. I put it away one day and the next day it wouldn't idle and eventually wouldn't accelerate. So i cleaned out the carbs, thinking it could be some dirt and replaced all the parts, put it back together and it would accelerate, but it still won't idle. Thought it could be a vacuum leak, but I replaced all the hoses, but still no luck with the idle. The air filter is brand new, changed the spark plugs, and adjusted the valves prior to these issues. Carbs are also synched. Not really sure what is left to do. Clean them out again?
Any help is appreciated!
DaNinjaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Perhaps a tear in one of the rubber adapter tubes between the carbs and the head?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

When I took it all apart it didn't seem to have any tears, but I'll have to check it out again

Old November 6th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Sounds like the idle jet is still dirty, I thought I had mine clean a couple of times before it dawned on me that they can be unscrewed and given a real cleaning. Mine were so dirty you couldn't see that there was a screwdriver slot in it. Takes a fairly small screwdriver to fit into the hole.

http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/

scroll down the page to see pics of carbs

Last futzed with by Z1R rider; November 6th, 2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #5
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

I didn't even think about that the first time, but I'll try that next. After doing that were your idle issues resolved? I think that's the only thing I haven't tried yet so I'm hoping that will be a success and I can get back to riding!

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws (generally 2 1/2 turns out is close) and then set the hot idle to 1300? Is the fuel fresh?

There's a fair amount of work needed to really get the carbs clean.

Look over this section and see if you did everything that needs to be done - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #7
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

Yep I did all that when I put the carbs back together. I cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner, sprayed carb cleaner in all ports & blew all the jets out with air. Fuel is fresh. Been running seafoam in the tank since I got it also

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
What about the idle mixture screws and the hot idle speed?

Old November 6th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #9
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

Yes I adjusted both of those

Old November 7th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #10
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNinjaDragon View Post
I didn't even think about that the first time, but I'll try that next. After doing that were your idle issues resolved? I think that's the only thing I haven't tried yet so I'm hoping that will be a success and I can get back to riding!
Quote:
Yep I did all that when I put the carbs back together. I cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner, sprayed carb cleaner in all ports & blew all the jets out with air. Fuel is fresh. Been running seafoam in the tank since I got it also
yep, I tried the Seafoam and carb cleaner in the ports and it wasn't until I used an ultrasonic cleaner that it was clean enough to even see the screwdriver slot. After pulling the jet and cleaning it and the port in the carb, put it back together and resynced them and it ran like a new bike. If only one is plugged it idles a different kind of weird at different engine temps, have to run part enrichener (choke), won't return to idle, (when you slow it down with idle speed adjustment it dies), poor throttle response, but runs good once it gets off the idle circuit and catches at full honk or even with a load at half throttle or so.
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Spray some carb cleaner around the intake boots to confirm you don't have a vacuum leak.

You said you adjusted the idle mixture screws (2 1/2 out?) and set the hot idle to 1300. So when won't it idle?

Can you post a video of it?

Old November 8th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Midnight_tinkerer
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): GPX250, ZZR250, CT90

Perhaps do a compression check?
Midnight_tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

My pregen was doing the same thing...
Bike had a sputtering/hesitation issue when you twisted the throttle, cleaned carbs, still there, cleaned again, now bike wouldn't idle, cleaned again, sputtering returned, cleaned once more following a detailed video on youtube and everything ran great and I sold her before she had a chance to mess up on me again hahaha

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #14
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
What solvent did you use in the sonic cleaner? Was the cleaner large enough to submerge the entire carb? The sonic cleaner alone should have cleaned the carbs completely. IMO, spray carb cleaner ranks a little better than urinating on the carbs in cleaning effectiveness.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #15
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

I haven't had a chance to take the carbs apart yet, I got my wisdom teeth out a couple days ago haha. But when I cleaned them out the first time they were fully submerged in simple green and a little distilled water.

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #16
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

When this happens to me it usually the pilot jet. You have to unscrew it and check those tiny holes are all clear. It generally only happens when I run the tank low and some crud from the bottom gets in the carbs.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #17
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to take the carbs apart yet, I got my wisdom teeth out a couple days ago haha. But when I cleaned them out the first time they were fully submerged in simple green and a little distilled water.
Not sure how aggressive Simple Green is in removing varnish and other deposits. I use Berryman's Chem Dip, which is designed to clean carbs and have had very good results. After about 45 minutes to an hour or so, vapors begin to come off the Chem Dip and I shut it off. If you go this route, be aware that Chem Dip is flammable and monitor the process closely. You don't want to burn anything up! The Chem Dip can be used multiple times until it becomes too contaminated with crud from dirty carbs.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #18
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

PINESOL!!!!

PINESOL! Use Pinesol! Chemdip, and any other dedicated carb dip will kill any rubber or plastic parts it comes in contact with.

Please Mods, make a carb cleaning sticky!

Old November 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I've had good luck with using old school Carb Dip for about an hour, then rinse, then into the ultrasonic cleaning solution for about 20 minutes in a few different positions. Then I rinse with D.I. water and coat with a Zirconium-based "Nano Coating" inside and out to prevent corrosion.

You can't use Carb Dip unless all gaskets, seals, and o-rings are removed, but you aren't going to get a good job unless you have it completely disassembled anyway.

http://www.apexcustomcoating.com/ultrasonic-cleaning/

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #20
DaNinjaDragon
DaNinjaDragon

Well I finally got a chance to take them apart again. Used some chem dip this time and took apart the choke mechanism inside the carbs. Put it together and it seems to run great. Started ride up and it idles normal It's a little touchy but it was before I had issues.