ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Name: First Name

Motorcycle(s): Honda RC46 VFR800, 2009 Ninjette

New Ninjette for the wife

Just picked up a 2009 last night for the wife. It's her first, although she's ridden as my pillion forever. This season, she decided that she no longer wants to ride behind me, she just wants to ride. Music to my ears, so the search began. Even though I'm a long time rider, there was no way in HELL i was going to let her first be a supersport (which she REALLY wanted) or a big heavy bike like my RC46. She's tall and could reach flat footed on damn near anything, but that's not the point.

Went back and forth between the little Ninjette, CBR250, Buell Blast, SV650, EX500, all of the normal players that's on new rider's lists.

We zeroed in on the little Ninja and the CBR. Seems like Craigslist Ninja 250s disappear in exactly 48 hours, so I knew we had to move fast. Found a local one, that was owned by a young lady, college student. I went to look at it, but took my motorcycle, when I did. As I'm looking it over, and pointing out the issues with it (it did need some work), another potential buyer shows up with a box truck. He stands there quietly, while I go over the bike. I decided to give it a little thought, and decide if I wanted a project bike. When I did that, he takes his shot, and bought it out from under me. I knew then that the next one I see, that I believe is the one, I would not hesitate.

That brings me to yesterday. There were two for sale, one of them CHERRY condition, brand new tires, (Blue in color) but high mileage. Never dropped, garage kept, and owned by a college student in a family of gear heads. The other was a black one, had been dropped, had minor body damage, missing mirrors but was 3 hundred less. Both were about 2 hours away from us, but oddly enough, both of the bikes were within 20 mins of each other, so we scheduled an hour each to see them, back to back.

The blue one was closest to us, so we saw that one first. The wife and I looked it over, and the damn thing looked new. However you can see where the brake master cylinder was opened, and some must have spilled on the handlebars, removing just a little of the black paint there. Checked everything else, and it showed no sign of paint damage. How this thing has 20-some-thousand miles on it, I'll never know....

The owner had no issues tossing me the keys for a test ride, without showing them even 1 dollar....

Now, I know the little 250 isn't very powerful, and I wasn't expecting much from it. But I gotta tell you, I really couldn't have been more wrong. What it lacks in power, it makes up for in what I call the SMILE factor. I can't quite put my finger on it, but wringing that little suckers neck up over 9K RPM is just.....well..... fun. Especially coming from my big bike, I thought it'd feel like a moped. Nope. Wrong.... I really liked it....

I told her that it was mechanically sound but 100% up to her if she wanted this one, or continue on and look at the black one, which had less miles, was cheaper, but not as cosmetically sound. It took her exactly 15 seconds to decide. We never saw the black one.

I rode it the 2 hours back home, in the dark, and it couldn't have been easier. The little thing is completely capable of triple digit speeds (ummmmm, hypothetically of course) and I was much more comfortable on my wrists, than my RC46. Not even close....

So, with all that said..... here she is. Wifey's new ride.

Ride safe.

His and Hers:

Trinja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #2
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinja View Post
Just picked up a 2009 last night for the wife. It's her first, although she's ridden as my pillion forever. This season, she decided that she no longer wants to ride behind me, she just wants to ride. Music to my ears, so the search began. Even though I'm a long time rider, there was no way in HELL i was going to let her first be a supersport (which she REALLY wanted) or a big heavy bike like my RC46. She's tall and could reach flat footed on damn near anything, but that's not the point.

Went back and forth between the little Ninjette, CBR250, Buell Blast, SV650, EX500, all of the normal players that's on new rider's lists.

We zeroed in on the little Ninja and the CBR. Seems like Craigslist Ninja 250s disappear in exactly 48 hours, so I knew we had to move fast. Found a local one, that was owned by a young lady, college student. I went to look at it, but took my motorcycle, when I did. As I'm looking it over, and pointing out the issues with it (it did need some work), another potential buyer shows up with a box truck. He stands there quietly, while I go over the bike. I decided to give it a little thought, and decide if I wanted a project bike. When I did that, he takes his shot, and bought it out from under me. I knew then that the next one I see, that I believe is the one, I would not hesitate.

That brings me to yesterday. There were two for sale, one of them CHERRY condition, brand new tires, (Blue in color) but high mileage. Never dropped, garage kept, and owned by a college student in a family of gear heads. The other was a black one, had been dropped, had minor body damage, missing mirrors but was 3 hundred less. Both were about 2 hours away from us, but oddly enough, both of the bikes were within 20 mins of each other, so we scheduled an hour each to see them, back to back.

The blue one was closest to us, so we saw that one first. The wife and I looked it over, and the damn thing looked new. However you can see where the brake master cylinder was opened, and some must have spilled on the handlebars, removing just a little of the black paint there. Checked everything else, and it showed no sign of paint damage. How this thing has 20-some-thousand miles on it, I'll never know....

The owner had no issues tossing me the keys for a test ride, without showing them even 1 dollar....

Now, I know the little 250 isn't very powerful, and I wasn't expecting much from it. But I gotta tell you, I really couldn't have been more wrong. What it lacks in power, it makes up for in what I call the SMILE factor. I can't quite put my finger on it, but wringing that little suckers neck up over 9K RPM is just.....well..... fun. Especially coming from my big bike, I thought it'd feel like a moped. Nope. Wrong.... I really liked it....

I told her that it was mechanically sound but 100% up to her if she wanted this one, or continue on and look at the black one, which had less miles, was cheaper, but not as cosmetically sound. It took her exactly 15 seconds to decide. We never saw the black one.

I rode it the 2 hours back home, in the dark, and it couldn't have been easier. The little thing is completely capable of triple digit speeds (ummmmm, hypothetically of course) and I was much more comfortable on my wrists, than my RC46. Not even close....

So, with all that said..... here she is. Wifey's new ride.

Ride safe.

His and Hers:

Welcome to the family, or welcome the ol' lady, which ever!

Hell, welcome to the both of ya's! If she's really interested, there is definitely a plethora of information on this site!

Ride safe! Hope to see you around the forums!
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

Gratz!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #4
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That's a great story. I had the same experience last year when I bought an '05 to fix up so my daughter would have a motorcycle to ride. Like your wife, she's been on the back of my motorcycles for years. As soon as I brought it home, I realized it wasn't going to be just my daughter's motorcycle. I've put more miles on it than she has, and had a blast on it when we attended the 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap this spring. The Dragon doesn't require any more power than the 250 has, but the excellent handling is just what that road needs.

20,000 doesn't sound like high miles to me at all. Most of my motorcycles have twice that on them or more.

My daughter took the MSF beginner's course, and based on what she learned in 2 days, I recommend it for your wife, if she hasn't already taken it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #6
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Thank ya kindly. There is no debate, she will not throw a leg over this thing on public roads without taking the class. She knows this, she agrees with it, and understands it's not up for discussion.

We take safety very seriously under my roof. We don't dress for the ride, we dress for the crash, as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I just need to search on here and find out why the gas tank whistles at me, when I shut it down.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Now I just need to search on here and find out why the gas tank whistles at me, when I shut it down.
Completely normal, it's the tank venting. There is a mod that can possibly quiet the sound, but if it's not broke... don't fix it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #8
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Completely normal, it's the tank venting. There is a mod that can possibly quiet the sound, but if it's not broke... don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Got this from another forum:

Takes about 10-15 mins to do.
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #9
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I can see why it only took 15 seconds to decide. What an awsome looking motorcycle! Welcome.

Old September 16th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Since you had so much fun on her bike - go back and buy the black one for you. Win Win for the both of ya!

20k really isn't that much for an '09. Sweet that the owner took such good care of the bike, it looks fantastic.

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. Now I just need to search on here and find out why the gas tank whistles at me, when I shut it down.
It's a cat. I heard salami will lure it out. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27828
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #11
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

That's exactly what the PO said. Not a big deal at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDfromBC View Post
Takes about 10-15 mins to do.
Thanks for that breakdown. Honestly, unless she complains, I reckon we'll just let it whistle. Probably make my wife feel better about herself. Even her bike whistles at her

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent_too_much View Post
I can see why it only took 15 seconds to decide. What an awsome looking motorcycle! Welcome.
If i REALLY wanted to pick it apart, the front windscreen was missing 1 screw. Junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Since you had so much fun on her bike - go back and buy the black one for you. Win Win for the both of ya!

20k really isn't that much for an '09. Sweet that the owner took such good care of the bike, it looks fantastic.

It's a cat. I heard salami will lure it out. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27828
Funny you should mention that. I literally JUST texted the guy, thinking that I may pick it up to ride around town with my wife. It really is so much easier, to ride at newbie speeds, than my 600lb torque monster VFR. Not to put down the Viffer, it's brilliant. But the little 250 would be easier to ride slowly, with her. Anyway, that guy says two people are looking at it tomorrow. It's priced very aggressively, it won't last.

Here's the lucky gal geared up on my RC

and here's the lucky gal not so geared up..

I'll end up turning this account over to her for this forum, and she'll probably do a proper introduction. While I'm comfortable wrenching on almost anything, I'm gonna make sure she wrenches on hers and comes here for the knowledge rather than just having me do it all. More fun that way....

Old September 16th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #12
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Riding fast bikes slow < Riding slow bikes fast

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Riding fast bikes slow < Riding slow bikes fast
Troof.

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Welcome!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
these bikes sure do have a smile factor that's hard to beat... Legally anyhow

Old September 16th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #16
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Great bikes and welcome to the forum!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #17
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #18
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

Ninjas do tend to go fast, unless there's something seriously wrong with them
Glad to hear you have a partner who's at least as interested in bikes as you are
It was a year long battle to get my wife to let me by mine
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #19
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old September 19th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #20
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Ah, the whistle! After I bought my wife her race bike I was out in the shop tinkering and heard a noise. Couldn't find it. A bit later I heard it again....still couldn't find it. Started listening to anything and everything in my shop that had a tire with air in it....nothing.

Just so happened to stand right next to the Green Meanie and AHA!!!

Welcome!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #21
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Welcome from the other side of the river.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #22
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Was for sure an impulse buy and she's still on the fence about it. Then I made it clear:

If she could figure out how to change oil and filter, she could keep it. Walked in on this...

Lol. We'lol see how this plays out.

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:18 AM   #23
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Welcome from the other side of the river.
Hey hey....

Yup, we're just off 15 north from ya, most likely. We try to stay away from Northern Virginia, when we're on the bike. Sooooooo many cars and congestion. We live pretty close to Catoctin State Park, and the riding up through there is sublime. People trailor their bikes hours just to get here, and it's right there for us. Spoiled for sure.

Last futzed with by Trinja; September 20th, 2016 at 11:15 AM.

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #24
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Welcome
One of the best screen names I've seen. Nice.

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #25
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Ah, the whistle! After I bought my wife her race bike I was out in the shop tinkering and heard a noise. Couldn't find it. A bit later I heard it again....still couldn't find it. Started listening to anything and everything in my shop that had a tire with air in it....nothing.

Just so happened to stand right next to the Green Meanie and AHA!!!

Welcome!
It happens anytime I even stand the bike upright off the kickstand. Basically any time fuel vapors move around in there. Gives it character

Old September 20th, 2016, 06:06 AM   #26
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Welcome, the saying goes "Whistle while you work it" the 250 just took it a lil too literal.

Glad to see your getting the wife to take the responsibilities/maintenance of the bike into her own hands.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #27
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
We live pretty close to Catoctin State Park, and the riding up through there is sublime.
There are some really good mountain bike trails in that park. They're the real thing.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #28
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Hey hey....

Yup, we're just off 15 north from ya, most likely. We try to stay away from Northern Virginia, when we're on the bike. Sooooooo many cars and Clayton congestion. We live pretty close to Catoctin State Park, and the riding up through there is sublime. People trailor their bikes hours just to get here, and it's right there for us. Spoiled for sure.
Yeah I'm just south of you a bit in the Fairfax area. Lots of nice roads when you get out of the city and head west and/or north. I've never really ridden the bikes up in your area, usually just head north on 15 to get someplace else.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote