ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Miscellaneous

Notices

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

do you normally take a car to an independent mechanic before buying it?

Hi

I have been in San Diego for about two weeks, and need to buy a family car (before a bike).
Thinking about a 15 year old Toyota Sienna. Would you normally take a used car like that to an independent mechanic when considering to buy it?
Any recommendations? Thanks..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Last 2 of 3 cars my family bought were from my independent mechanic. The third one my son bought without taking to a mechanic. It keeps throwing check engine light codes for transmission problems.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

When buying a used car always take it to your trusted mechanic before thinking about purchasing. While some people know how to take care of a car there are more who neglect them. Even if a car fax checks out always get it looked over, most don't report all their vehicle repairs/issues.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Norway
ninjette.org member

Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
When buying a used car always take it to your trusted mechanic before thinking about purchasing. While some people know how to take care of a car there are more who neglect them. Even if a car fax checks out always get it looked over, most don't report all their vehicle repairs/issues.
Thanks for your advice.

Are there any special companies that are operating nationwide or in California (stay in SD) that anyone would recommend?
Also, I got a quote regarding insurance on a Toyota Sienna, 2001.
It was slightly in excess of 600 USD for 6 months, or around 100 USD / Month.
It includes liability, property damage liability, uninsured motorist bodily injury, collision deductible waiver, comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance and rental car benefit.

Does it sound like a reasonable insurance?

(I have no driving history in the US, but a very good driving record in Norway, with no serious accidents. Anyway, that might not help much here)

Thanks for your advice, and best regards.

Old August 19th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #5
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Get multiple quotes, from various sources. I only go with progressive since they were the only ones who would insured me during my hellion stage, so that's just me. Most likely they are viewing you as a new driver, however if your above 25 years of age then you get viewed as less risk. I don't do car rental or roadside because I have AAA, no need to pay twice for something I don't use enough. $600 for 6 months sounds ok to me, I would have had around $500 for 6 months if I kept my car, new truck now gives me around $800 but when I renew it should get lower since my record should be finally clear lol.

Spoiler for topic:

Old August 19th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #6
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
$600 a month sounds ok to me, I would have had around $500 a month if I kept my car, new truck now gives me around $800 but when I renew it should get lower since my record should be finally clear lol.
Per month or per year? We pay around $650 per year per car with full-blown coverage.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #7
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Per month or per year? We pay around $650 per year per car with full-blown coverage.
edited post, per 6 months bud. That's what I get around here for full coverage. I pay about 225 for the year for my motorcycle, that's only for collision.

Spoiler for topic:

Old August 19th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #8
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
edited post, per 6 months bud.
Whew! You had me worried there... Glad to hear it's only expensive instead of totally outrageous.

Old August 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #9
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Whew! You had me worried there... Glad to hear it's only expensive instead of totally outrageous.
No way would I do $600 per month on insurance, insurance is a stiff as is. Gosh forbid if I had to get them to actually payout. I wish I could only pay $600 for full coverage a year, then I might think my insurance was worth it.

Spoiler for topic:

Old August 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

For a 15 year old car, it might not make sense to carry full insurance, and go with liability only. If the book value of the car is $3K, and you have a $1000 deductible, the expected payout of the insurance wouldn't be that much if it were to ever be needed anyway. Saving the extra cost of the premiums might be a better bet.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #11
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
Thanks for your advice.

Are there any special companies that are operating nationwide or in California (stay in SD) that anyone would recommend?
Also, I got a quote regarding insurance on a Toyota Sienna, 2001.
It was slightly in excess of 600 USD for 6 months, or around 100 USD / Month.
It includes liability, property damage liability, uninsured motorist bodily injury, collision deductible waiver, comprehensive, collision, roadside assistance and rental car benefit.

Does it sound like a reasonable insurance?

(I have no driving history in the US, but a very good driving record in Norway, with no serious accidents. Anyway, that might not help much here)

Thanks for your advice, and best regards.
What is probably raising your insurance rates is the fact that you have no driving history in the US.

I know when I went overseas as an expat I got a letter from my insurance company to the new insurance company stating how long I had been insured and that I had no claims filed. It reduced my insurance rates in the new country. When I came back here to the states after 6 years overseas I needed a similar letter for my insurance company.

You may want to check with the insurance companies and see if they would give you a good driver discount for a similar letter.

And do check with several insurance companies, prices vary considerably. Just recently I got insurance for my 2 bikes. My current insurance company with whom I had homeowners and 6 vehicles insured (6 drivers in the family) wanted $26 per month for liability only on one Ninja 250 with me as the driver ($312 per year). I found another insurance company that was $96 per year for both bikes, liability only, with me and my 16 year old daughter as drivers.

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
In my case, 100 + USD for 6 months, or approximately 100 USD / Month.
car: Toyota Sienna. Seems to be about twice your costs.

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #13
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Another thing to consider when talking with all of us is that car insurance rates vary quite a bit state to state and city to city.

Here is a site that ranks insurance costs by state.

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...nce-rates.html

As you can see California is #9 Where I live in Virginia is #43 and the same fictional car insurance is $600 cheaper.

So while your insurance may seem high to me, it may be about right for California.

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #14
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I would only go liability for a car like that. no reason for collision since they probably wont fix it anyway.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #15
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
For a 15 year old car, it might not make sense to carry full insurance, and go with liability only. If the book value of the car is $3K, and you have a $1000 deductible, the expected payout of the insurance wouldn't be that much if it were to ever be needed anyway. Saving the extra cost of the premiums might be a better bet.
Depends on lien, if he has one.

Spoiler for topic:

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Yup. Was assuming no lien on a car of that age/value. YMMV.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #17
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
What is probably raising your insurance rates is the fact that you have no driving history in the US.

I know when I went overseas as an expat I got a letter from my insurance company to the new insurance company stating how long I had been insured and that I had no claims filed. It reduced my insurance rates in the new country. When I came back here to the states after 6 years overseas I needed a similar letter for my insurance company.

You may want to check with the insurance companies and see if they would give you a good driver discount for a similar letter.

And do check with several insurance companies, prices vary considerably. Just recently I got insurance for my 2 bikes. My current insurance company with whom I had homeowners and 6 vehicles insured (6 drivers in the family) wanted $26 per month for liability only on one Ninja 250 with me as the driver ($312 per year). I found another insurance company that was $96 per year for both bikes, liability only, with me and my 16 year old daughter as drivers.
Thanks for your information and advice! I have mentioned "no claim letters" from Norway, here in California, and got 3 different offers, all around 100 USD per month, or slightly above.
Since I'm in a hurry, I will probably accept one of the offers. Hopefully I can get a relatively cheaper insurance when buying a motorcycle. I really long for a bike in such a wonderful climate as I experience in California. Hope to be able to buy one soon.
San Diego seems to have warmer winter months than the average summer in Norway..
Great to be in the US!

Old August 20th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #18
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Another thing to consider when talking with all of us is that car insurance rates vary quite a bit state to state and city to city.

Here is a site that ranks insurance costs by state.

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/...nce-rates.html

As you can see California is #9 Where I live in Virginia is #43 and the same fictional car insurance is $600 cheaper.

So while your insurance may seem high to me, it may be about right for California.
Useful. Thanks!

Old August 20th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #19
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hi

I have been in San Diego for about two weeks, and need to buy a family car (before a bike).
Thinking about a 15 year old Toyota Sienna. Would you normally take a used car like that to an independent mechanic when considering to buy it?
Got a lot of useful advice and viewpoints. Thanks, everyone!

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #20
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hi

I'm about to buy a Toyota Sequoia, 2003. The out of the door price is about 7700 USD, from the Toyota dealership.
I have been offered a vehicle service ontract (UnitedAuto Care) for 2300 USD, lasting for 24 months. I aim at sellling the car in June 2016, but such a deal was said to be transferrable. From what i understood, it will cover many major repairs (engine, transmission, wheel drives, steering, suspension, brakes, seals and gaskets) , should they be needed, for an additional USD 100 per workshop visit.
If I use the car for 10 months, money from the remaining period (14 months) may be returned to me.

Do you think it would be a good idea to make such a deal, or would you just
take the car without such a deal, drive away and "hope for the best".
I'm aware that important facts may be missing here, but some of you might have heard about similar arrangements.
Thanks for any advice.

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #21
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

They are offering you an aftermarket warranty, I took it on my last car but opted out for the truck. I have been told you can purchase an aftermarket warranty for less than the dealer gives. Plus I had my car for 3 years and only used it once, it was a 2009 though.

Spoiler for topic:

Old August 20th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #22
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
I would not buy the extended warrantee.

Old August 20th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #23
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
No. Do not buy. If you change your mind one week later and want to buy, you can always go back to the dealership and buy.

But if you buy right now, and in a week, if you change your mind, you cannot get a refund.