ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Shopping for mesh pants.

I just want to get some opinion from the gearheads here at my fav forum.

I'm getting new pants for my summer back road, spirited riding and stuff kind of thing.(where I'm gonna be going over my limits, not just cruising around) any suggestions?

I'm looking at http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...mesh-overpants but I don't really know anything about their fighter mesh chassis, they're claiming that it provides excellent abrasion resistance.

also looking at http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1..._BLM4-BZ-028_G

Also If you can suggest a much better pant, that's gonna be comfortable please do, my budget is gonna be $100 - $200

BTW I already have my Dainese hard shorts and Dainese Knee V Guard. so I guess I'll be okay in the armor department.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Your choices will not do. You need leather for when its play time. Say no to mesh when you're gettin busy

I see these people all meshed up with all their cute little armor vests, knee pads and stuff go down at speed and everything moves away from where the owner thought it would be. Everything melts and is ruined. Its a mess. Get leathers with a back protector and be done with it.

These would be more better http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...70086-001-28_G

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM   #3
kaiserz

^ I really like shift as a brand but unfortunately they don't have my size ): do you think this one will work? http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...SEDL2-BZ-028_G

or these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-dakar-pants

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
^ I really like shift as a brand but unfortunately they don't have my size ): do you think this one will work? http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...SEDL2-BZ-028_G

or these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-dakar-pants
The first ones look ok, the second not so ok. When looking at pants, look to see if the company sells a jacket that can zip to your pants too

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM   #5
kaiserz

Thanks! I was thinking that the second one was gonna be okay because it had all this 1,682 denier ballistic, nylon, 840 denier, Cordura®, TNP heat and abrasion, resistant leather, mini rib knit fabric and all the jargon that I don't understand.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking that the second one was gonna be okay because it had all this 1,682 denier ballistic, nylon, 840 denier, Cordura®, TNP heat and abrasion, resistant leather, mini rib knit fabric and all the jargon that I don't understand.

You have to read...the second pair are motocross pants. They are likely more oriented towards impact than abrasion and designed for a different riding position. The seams are likely not going to be as strong. Leather is good...but if you are dewling with a lot of heat, leather gets hot.

Here is my recommendation...

http://motoport.com/_product_35443/C...an_1000_Denier
Strong as leather but much cooler. Custom sized. Opt for the zipper. Wear your hard shorts, use their armor.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM   #7
kaiserz

^ I WANT THISS !!!!! Why didn't i see this before I got my other stuff... D: I like the quad armor thing too... (Thanks for letting me know that an awesome product like this exists)

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:28 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Leather is great, but in the heat of summer in some places, it just sucks to wear. Honestly, I'd rather not ride in 100 degree heat in leather. Mesh remains a good option for riders in hot weather provided you get well constructed, thoughtful gear. So often people think mesh = cheap crap, including some of the manufacturers, like Joe Rocket or Shift, and some automatically think mesh gear is no good in a getoff. Not necessarily.

Take a look at the REV'IT Turbine Mesh Pants, for example. They have Superfabric (woven ceramic) and 1000D in impact areas, CEII rated ProLife armor in knee and shin (foam at hips though), and kevlar stiching. (Please note, however, that the woven ceramic isn't great for paint long term - you'll need tank protection.) I own these pants, and they are amazing. Built to be bombproof, they feel very safe, while being lightweight and cool.

Another high quality vented option is the Dianese Drake Air. I looked at these very closely when I went with my REV'ITs, and tried on a pair when I was in U.S. last month. They have vents instead of mesh panels, and didn't seem to vent as well as my Turbines, but still seemed very protective - I'd be completely okay wearing these outside of track use. If you must have leather in the heat, you might try pants with detachable venting panels with mesh behind them, like you'd find with the REV'IT Gear Leather/Mesh Pants.

A less expensive, but still high quality, protective mesh pant is the A* A-10, which is on sale right now. My friend wears these, and they are 1200D in impact areas, 600D elsewhere with good padding. I'd feel protected going down in them in normal street riding. Styling is aggressive (knee sliders for street riding?), and not my cup of tea, but he says they are comfortable and cool.

Good luck with the shopping.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:24 AM   #9
rockNroll

I only own one piece of plastic gear, its a Joe Rocket textile jacket that I don't use often. I base my suggestions on what I've seen in person, out on the roads, not "tests" that I've read. Guys go down in leather and many times get back on the bike and go. No need to even replace the riding gear. Often times when I've seen someone go down wearing textile, its oh f@ck, that looks painful! It's your ass, literally. Perforated leathers will ventilate just fine. Also, go for light colors. Black stuff get hot! I'm in hot, humid south carolina, I ride when its 95-100 degrees. My leathers are perforated.

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

I'd be remiss if I didn't point these out...
http://motoport.com/_product_35442/G...sh_Kevlar_Pant

The stretch Kevlar version, which is what I wear, is pretty good up to about 85-90 degrees. It really doesn't get any hotter than that where I live (THANK GOD, I HATE THE HEAT!). They are custom made to your measurements. The armor coverage is awesome.

The Rev-It looks good...like the fact it is available in white...better visability.

Remember, at some point, it is just not worth it. It you have the option, take the cage and fire up the AC. For me, that point is 90 degrees, usually about 2-3 days a year up here.

Old June 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #11
kaiserz

^ That's expensive. . .

Old June 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
^ That's expensive. . .
It is all relative. Soon as you have a serious off, you change your thinking as to what is expensive. Trust me, THIS is expensive...

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #13
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
It is all relative. Soon as you have a serious off, you change your thinking as to what is expensive. Trust me, THIS is expensive...
True story. I've had Icon mesh pants (the $110 ones - hooligan or what you call it). They're ok if you want disposable pants. I fell with them on before (not on my bike, tripped in the garage LOL), they have a pretty nice starter hole in the knee from my 1/4 MPH forward walk spill. I wear them w/ no armor to cut the lawn now because they are really airy and keep me cool. lol
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #14
kaiserz

^ from motorcycle pants to lawn pants D: aww

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #15
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...her-Pants.aspx

these are ones i am thinking of >.>
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #16
kaiserz

Good find!

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #17
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Any riding intended to be fun or to test/expand your limits should be done with the best gear you can afford. Typically, leathers but I've seen people go down with high quality textile suits and do very well. That said, separate your riding from typical commutes to school/work and "fun" rides.

Leathers personally, are considered almost 1 time expenses since they tend to hold up fairly well so save up for another month or so and just spend the cash. You'll be glad you did.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #18
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Okay, to recap...

Perf leather isn't going to be quite as cool as textile, but better than non perf leather. Seeing as how you folks back east are BAKING right now , cool is relevant. Here in the Pacific Northwest? A nice comfy 63 degrees today.

Looks to me like the best buys are the Motoport 1000D Street Jeans, the AGV Willow Perf leather pants and the Rev-it Turbine pants. On the premium $$ side are the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants with Safety Tzar Paranoid Level 2 armor coverage available.

The Dianese mentioned...not sure why you would opt for them over the heavier Denier custom built Motoports (my understanding is that the heavier Denier material is also cooler and that is what you'll find in the Motoport and the Rev-It), but Dianese does make good gear. The Rev-It IS available in a light color... I wish it had slider patches.

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #19
kaiserz

I'm saving up for the motoport's (: but I might get the willow too... mmmm so many choices

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm saving up for the motoport's (: but I might get the willow too... mmmm so many choices
The thing that sealed the deal for me with Motoport was the custom sizing and their crash warranty. If you ever crash their gear...at any speed...send them in. If they can't repair them, they will replace them...for free....forever. Me likey!

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #21
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
True story. I've had Icon mesh pants (the $110 ones - hooligan or what you call it). They're ok if you want disposable pants. I fell with them on before (not on my bike, tripped in the garage LOL), they have a pretty nice starter hole in the knee from my 1/4 MPH forward walk spill. I wear them w/ no armor to cut the lawn now because they are really airy and keep me cool. lol
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
Okay, to recap...

Perf leather isn't going to be quite as cool as textile, but better than non perf leather. Seeing as how you folks back east are BAKING right now , cool is relevant. Here in the Pacific Northwest? A nice comfy 63 degrees today.

Looks to me like the best buys are the Motoport 1000D Street Jeans, the AGV Willow Perf leather pants and the Rev-it Turbine pants. On the premium $$ side are the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants with Safety Tzar Paranoid Level 2 armor coverage available.

The Dianese mentioned...not sure why you would opt for them over the heavier Denier custom built Motoports (my understanding is that the heavier Denier material is also cooler and that is what you'll find in the Motoport and the Rev-It), but Dianese does make good gear. The Rev-It IS available in a light color... I wish it had slider patches.
Pffft 95 degree heat with 90% humidity? Sounds like great weather to me
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
Pffft 95 degree heat with 90% humidity? Sounds like great weather to me
No, that sounds like call a real estate agent immediately weather to me. Air shouldn't be drinkable. Any temperature over 85 calls for an air conditioned Cage, riding just ceased to be enjoyable. Thsnk GOD we don't get humidity here in the Pacific Northwest. Been back east once during the summer...you people need your heads examined!

Old June 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #24
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Dang, Kevin, you'd never get onto the bike down here. Average year round temp here is 86 degrees with 80 percent humidity. That includes January at 2 a.m., too. Not hard to figure out while I always post about mesh gear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote