ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Maximum Headlight Projector Length

Anybody know how long of a projector will fit inside the headlight housing? I'm looking at Morimoto projectors, wondering which ones will fit.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm not sure what your plans are, but consider the Profile BiLED 2. The threaded shaft can be removed from the the projector, making it smaller if you plan to make a plate out of ABS to replace your reflector bowl. Also, it's LED, so even though you still have to mount with a voltage regulator, it can be powered straight off the headlight circuit instead of wiring direct to the battery.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...-lens-led.html

I'm running the first version of their profile biLED projectors in my Miata and it's really impressive, even though it's not quite as good as a D2S projector. No complaints so far. The bolt pattern is the same as any of their D2S offerings.

Are you planning a projector in both sides of the housing? or one on the low beam side without out on the high beam side? (I love this asymmetric aesthetic, but not everyone shares my feelings). A single LED projector would make your wiring very easy. Wire direct to your low beam, add a splitter on the high beam; single low, dual high, done.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

I don't have a real plan yet. My low beam burned out and got me pondering options, thanks for the ideas!

Those LEDs you linked look pretty sweet. Do they use a shroud for high beams like bi-xenon do?

Old May 4th, 2019, 06:17 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yepp. Same retrofit and mounting method as HID projectors, but it's an LED source instead of HID source. and the high beam has a solenoid and cutoff gate, just like HID.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2019, 09:09 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

In 2011 I put a Morimoto Mini H1 in the 250 housing (low beam side). I did end up cutting quite a bit of the reflector to get it to fit, though.

TRS has a 7.0 version of the Mini H1, but I can't imagine the size has gotten any larger at this point.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...universal.html
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2019, 05:15 AM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Hm ok thanks.

Old May 5th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here’s a DIY guide with pictures using kit that fits.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111916
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2019, 06:44 PM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I bought a Koito biLED projector out of a Prius. It looks pretty similar, though it's obviously made to fit the Prius headlight, not for a retrofit. It's a little chunky on the bottom.

Here are a couple pics comparing it to other projectors.

I never actually got around to modding it into my housing. Just playing around with it, it seemed to have a pretty good projection area with nice even light. It has the standard bi- operation, but it also has another wire to trigger a low-power fanless DRL mode too.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2019, 07:16 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Koito Prius LED projector is rated as best light in market from any manufacturer! It gets most light on road, with furthest penetration with lowest glare to oncoming traffic. This is partly due to offset-parabola design to capture most of light output and not waste +50% of it with shutter cut-off like most projectors.

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/3...ing-top-grade/

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 17th, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote