ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old February 25th, 2019, 06:38 AM   #41
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Alpha 13-SP $100/set MotoAmerica take-offs

Q3+ $100/set MotoAmerica take-offs

Other Dunlops from http://stores.racetireservice.com . They seem to have monopoly on Dunlop race tyres, no one else sells them

R11 $250/set Bridgestone vendor @ track w/racer discount.
R11 Ducati of Omaha

Mitas MC-50 $200/set eBay
Race Tire Service was dropped by Dunlop as their exclusive race tire vendor for the USA. There are now three or four regional vendors instead. Roadracingworld.com has some press releases talking about it.
The Dunlop and Pirelli slicks are going to be your best tires in dry conditions. Forget about thinking you need a 150 width tire. Think about it. Neither company thought that was necessary to go wider for getting the best performance out of the small bikes.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2019, 02:40 PM   #42
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome news!!!
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...t-end-of-2018/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
The Dunlop and Pirelli slicks are going to be your best tires in dry conditions. Forget about thinking you need a 150 width tire. Think about it. Neither company thought that was necessary to go wider for getting the best performance out of the small bikes.
Yup, at our level, bigger differences in rider than tyres.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...the-racetrack/

My main gripe with RTS was Alpha 13-SPs were available in 130 & 140mm rear sizes, but they refused to sell them. With 150mm rear, I could never break rear-end loose, even with whacking open full-throttle in middle of corners. It would just push front-end and tuck it.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2020, 06:49 PM   #43
yuengling910
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): 09 R6, 14 Ninja 300

I've been doing some research on race tires for a Ninja 300. I currently race an R6 but have decided to give the little bike a try this year. I'll be racing with WERA and maybe a few CCS rounds.

The bike currently has Pirelli Rosso Corsa II's with a 150/60 rear. I rode the bike this weekend (the bike is my Wife's, this is the first time I've really spent much time on it) at Jennings and was not very happy with the rear tire/setup. The bike has a GSXR shock swap. The bike would slide a lot mid corner when I would start applying throttle. I played around with the damping settings on the shock and nothing really helped. I tried changing rear tire pressure from ~28 - 31 PSI hot off the track. I left the track assuming it was a setup/suspension issue.

While searching today, I found an old post on this forum saying that the Corsa II in a 150 had a W speed rating and was not a good choice for a 300. Has anyone had any similar experience with this tire?

I'm leaning towards trying a set of Supercorsa SC's (I run Pirelli's on my R6 and like them) or possibly the Bridgestone R11's with the hope of getting some more rear traction (I felt pretty good with the Rosso II front). If I'm still having similar issues I guess I'll start looking a little closer at the suspension set up.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
yuengling910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2020, 07:10 PM   #44
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

I ran Pirelli Supercorsa SC's last year on my Ninja 300, 150/60 on the rear (I think front was a 110), both tires were SC1 compound i.e. a bit softer. The chart I put aside for tire pressure says hot pressure should be 25-28. I don't know how this compares to the Corsa II's but maybe you're still a little high?

I used to use the Dunlop Alpha 13's and the Pirelli are much better (for me anyway). Supposedly they recommend SC1 for fronts and SC2's for the back but the only thing available was the SC1's and I don't think wear was an issue. This is for riding in Nova Scotia so warmer climates might require the SC2.
Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2020, 07:11 PM   #45
Kowalski
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I’ve read that the gsxr shock is shorter than the stock ninja shock. If you still have the stock dog bones your swing arm angle might be too flat. That leads leads to running wide exit and wheel spin.
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2020, 07:32 PM   #46
yuengling910
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the info. I'll contact my Pirelli dealer tomorrow and see what he thinks. It does get pretty hot down here, on my r6 I usually run a rear SC2 in cooler weather and SC1 when it gets hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
I’ve read that the gsxr shock is shorter than the stock ninja shock. If you still have the stock dog bones your swing arm angle might be too flat. That leads leads to running wide exit and wheel spin.
The stock dog bones have been drilled slightly shorter to accommodate the GSXR shock. Overall the handling of the bike was pretty good. It ran pretty true on corner exit, the problems I was having were at midcorner when I start to add some throttle.

I think I'll try some new tires for the first race weekend and see how it performs. If I'm still having issues, it will be time to start re-evaluating the shock setup.

Old February 8th, 2020, 03:55 AM   #47
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

How much do you weigh?
Rear 28-31psi seems really high.
I prefer around 26-27psi hot in rear and I weigh about 80kg.

Old February 9th, 2020, 06:32 PM   #48
DannoXYZ

You may also want to consider pure racing tyres rather than DOT-R tyres. Something like Pirelli Diablo Superbike or Dunlop KR series tyres.

Old February 28th, 2020, 03:39 PM   #49
yuengling910
ninjette.org newbie

I threw on a set of Diablo Superbike slicks in 1110/140 and had a great time. No more sliding and ran a full Track day and 4 races on the same set and still have plenty of tire left. Great tires.

Thanks for your input.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.