ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old October 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Droid bionic vs iphone, which one?

I'm in the market for one of those. I currently have a Motorola Droid, the old verison and would like to replace it.
I'm aiming more towards the bionic because is 4g and it has HDMI so I can hook it up to my car TV and watch movies.
I would love to give iPhone a try but doesn't have any of this, but their is tons of accessories for them and apps.

Loves how the iPhone looks.

So what do you think is a better option between those two?

I went to Verizon today and saw a lapdock which is like a PC but use the bionic as a operating system. Looks pretty cool.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Android ftw
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #3
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
Android ftw
Why do you prefer the Droid over the iPhone?

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #4
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

theres not even a comparison IMO .. android FTW! the screen alone on the iphone kills it for me, its just too small. my sprint galaxy s II has a 4.5" screen and is extremely thin, cant beat it!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
theres not even a comparison IMO .. android FTW! the screen alone on the iphone kills it for me, its just too small. my sprint galaxy s II has a 4.5" screen and is extremely thin, cant beat it!
http://www.redmondpie.com/ever-wonde...Redmond+Pie%29

I need to be able to drive and use my phone at the same time
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #6
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

needs to be a min of 4" .. 5" is a little too large as thats what the dell streaks are and when i had that phone it was like carrying around a tablet..loL!

Old October 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
I'm in the market for one of those. I currently have a Motorola Droid, the old verison and would like to replace it.
I'm aiming more towards the bionic because is 4g and it has HDMI so I can hook it up to my car TV and watch movies.
I would love to give iPhone a try but doesn't have any of this, but their is tons of accessories for them and apps.

Loves how the iPhone looks.

So what do you think is a better option between those two?

I went to Verizon today and saw a lapdock which is like a PC but use the bionic as a operating system. Looks pretty cool.
I upgraded to the Droid Bionic from the Original Droid on launch day. It's a night and day difference if you're in a 4G area.

My Droid was getting around 0.7-1.0 Mbps download speeds while the Bionic gets around 28 Mbps.

The dual core CPU helps the phone perform most actions very fast. There are still a few bugs but that's to be expected for any brand new phone.

With the Bionic you get Android and all the customization it comes with. With iPhone you get iOS.

The thing I love most about Android over the iOS is Widgets. I don't have to open any apps to get information. I have the current weather displayed right on my home screen instead of having to open an app. Lots of other Widgets too, 2 music players, one for online streaming and the other for local playback. I have all of my current cell state, battery status, storage space, and WiFi signal information available without pushing any buttons.

The only thing Apple is really selling the iPhone 4s with is Siri. An app that was available to iOS4 devices before the 4s. Apple decided that they wanted it as a feature so they removed it form the app store and put it on the 4s only. That's the kind of environment you have with iOS.

Overall, if you live in a 4G area, get a 4G device. Especially if you browse the web often from your phone. If you are an Original Droid user then you likely have the Unlimited Data plan witch applies to 4G as well. That way you don't ever have to worry about the faster speed internet going over any caps.

I would also consider getting the extended battery if you plan on using the phone for 4G data a lot. I can kill the extended battery in 8 hours while streaming music and using IRC over 4G. It makes the phone a little thicker but it's more than double the battery. The nice part is that the Motorola designers thought ahead and made it so that all of the docks for the phone and compatible with the extended battery. Just be aware that the phone uses a lot of power. Unlike the iOS devices though you can always just keep a spare battery around and swap it out at any time. You are going to want to make sure that all chargers you use for the phone are putting out at least 850mA. That is the maximum input the phone can take for charging. Anything less and the phone will actually discharge while plugged in.

Also, by staying with Android all of the settings and personal information form your Droid will automatically download to the Bionic within the first few hours. It will also re-sync all your contacts from the Google Cloud and even pull your wallpaper from your Droid (Was surprised to see my CM7 wallpaper appear on my Bionic when I first synced it.

I have the WebTop Adapter for the Bionic. It uses and HDMI cable to attach to any HDMI screen and allows me to use the phone as a touch pad mouse. You can then connect a Bluetooth keyboard to the phone and use it like a computer. It doesn't have much use outside of web browsing right now. I wouldn't invest in the LapDock unless you really want a $300 web browser. You'd be better off buying a $300 Windows 7 Netbook.

In the end I'm going to Choose Bionic. I have one and love it. Best phone I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
http://www.redmondpie.com/ever-wonde...Redmond+Pie%29

I need to be able to drive and use my phone at the same time
Either I have absurdly large hands or they used a midget for that article.

I have a Droid Bionic and can easily reach all 4 corners of the screen with my thumb using either hand. Yes, I do have to tilt the phone a little bit to reach but it's not that difficult.
Mazakawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #8
ruben
ninjette.org member

Name: ruben

Motorcycle(s): Civic SI / future 250r

loooove my ip4s. bought an apple tv too. its seamless. i love it. i only owned an android for a month and i had to babysit it to much. had to make sure quit apps or they'd run in the background and kill my battery. 4g was bascially hot spots at the time so wasnt worth the premium. had the epic 4g on sprint. now have my iphone on sprint, and it gets better reception than my blackberry on the same network.

i couldnt recommend the iphone enough.
ruben is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

i'm biased, and i say iphone. :0
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Why do you prefer the Droid over the iPhone?
-I can change my battery if it dies...or get a longer lasting one...iphone cant do that

-I can choose how much GB storage i want. my phone comes with 8 or 16GB..i forget...but my SD card has 32GB storage space...Iphone dont. you pay and arm and leg to get more storage space..and you have to get a whole new phone

-screen size pwns iPhones screen

-app market is the same, if not, bigger than iphone...and better free apps...i have iTouch so i did a small comparison

...thats just a few things...
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #11
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

if your going to get a smartphone go with an HTC. there on android OS and in my opinion they are better than any other phone i have used

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #12
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I was going to be getting a Droid Bionic to replace my original Droid. I'm going to end up waiting for the Nexus Prime. It's got a slightly faster processor and should be coming out beginning/middle of November.

Downloading paid apps for free is also really easy on Android. Just download the .apk installer and install it. No need to "Jailbreak" it or anything like that.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #13
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

You don't even need a .apk installer.. almos all apps are out there somewhere in google land..lol find the one you want , if your on a pc once downloaded email it to yourself and just download it. Once downloaded you hit install.. done! If you root it then you open up the speed possibilities of custom roms and overclocking.. free wifi tether ! All that fun stuff

Old October 25th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I recently returned my bionic to wait for the new set of androids coming out the first half of November. Android is nicer than iOS in my opinion but both have their pros and cons. It just depends on how you use your device. iOS is simpler to operate, no force close, apps tend to run smoother, and if your and apple user they will sync to everything. On the other hand if you get android you get 4gLTE, faster proccessors, swapable bat, hdmi out, TONS more customizations, hd screens and cameras, ect. but again you must be a bit more tech savvy to operate them.

Might want to look at the droid razr, htc rezound, and the samsung Galaxy if you going to go with android.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #15
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
I recently returned my bionic to wait for the new set of androids coming out the first half of November. Android is nicer than iOS in my opinion but both have their pros and cons. It just depends on how you use your device. iOS is simpler to operate, no force close, apps tend to run smoother, and if your and apple user they will sync to everything. On the other hand if you get android you get 4gLTE, faster proccessors, swapable bat, hdmi out, TONS more customizations, hd screens and cameras, ect. but again you must be a bit more tech savvy to operate them.

Might want to look at the droid razr, htc rezound, and the samsung Galaxy if you going to go with android.
I learned about the razr a couple of days ago and most probably I'm getting that one instead of the iPhone since the razr has all the gathered I want. I to hate the force close on my current Droid.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I will take a Jailbroken iPhone over any android phone any day. However I will also take any good android phone over a non-jailbroken iPhone any day.

As for being on Verizon, I wouldn't get a phone unless it was 4G. So that is another influencing factor for the Droid. The only thing that kills it is you have to be in a 4G area, otherwise your speed drops from 30Mbps to 1Mbps. Stuff like that would really bother me so I stick with AT&T
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

He isnt going to have 4g, not in that part of GA. he will get a few spots of 3g there but not much more, unless he travels.

I like the razr too, but Im a huge HTC fan. their UI makes the phone much nicer in my opinion. The only possible chance of me going with another manufacture at this point is the new android OS, I think scalable widgets will be great, and a micro usb adepter to let you plug usb sticks straight into the phone is handy.

the unofficial dates are the middle of nov. probably worth the extra month to see what is out and how they stack up.

And Sean is correct a jail broken iphone is right up near the top of the list too, if you want to spend the time customizing it and downloading apps from other sources.

just my two cents, good luck
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #18
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'm 100% on the android boat. I just got an LG G2x on T-Mobile a few weeks ago... amazing phone for the most part. On the official version of Android 2.3.3 it sucked pretty bad thanks to LG not really caring, but with Cyanogen mod 7.1/Android 2.3.7 its extremely awesome. I prefer android over ios for a lot of reasons... I like to play around and mess with stuff on my phone, hence rooting it and flashing a custom (WAY BETTER) rom, I love the customization that ios just doesn't have, widgets are a big thing for me. The android market is still smaller than the iphone app market but android has way more free apps, and with android you have so many choices, I prefer the stock android layout over any of the manufacturer overlays which is why I got the G2x. Dual cores are worth it imo, at first I thought whatever they're just going to suck battery but I can underclock my phone to 500mhz (half its clock speed) and its still performs better than my buddies single core galaxy S..... also a 3.5" screen is more hand friendly but honestly not big enough now that I'm used to a 4". Of course I'm a bit nerdy which is why I like all this stuff android can do lol, I think any apple fan/user who appreciates apples ecosystem would be far better off with an iphone
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #19
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

iPhone handsdown. I used the google nexus one for about a year. It was neat at first, but on my phone I prefer a more polished package.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote