ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #41
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Scott, I would like to answer your question first: A bungee cargo net will secure your daughter`s helmet fine on the pillion seat. Parking: I usually try to park with other bikes or in motorcycle specific parking spaces (we have those in Maine but they are few) Backpacks: Never, unless I was carrying camera gear. I like a good expandable Tank Bag like a Cortech and a Tailbag. That handles everything. My riding pants, if I wear the Icons fit fine in the tail bag since I wear them over jeans. If I wear the River Road leathers--which is most of the time--they are the jeans and stay on. Helmet and Jacket: Too expensive to leave unattended. Don`t mind carrying the helmet into a restaurant, bar, etc. Alcohol: One beer or one glass of wine--no more. I have found that most people think it is pretty cool to be a biker, so I don`t feel self conscious. As for boots---you guys will be all over me on that one--I like the River Road traditional pull on square toed boot and the Dingo square toed boot. They are a harness type boot not necessarily motorcycle specific. I have worn them for 50 years and really don`t want to change--something to do with tradition.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #42
travis5018
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
When I drive to work in the morning, I have to drop my daughter off at school on the way (she's in 2nd grade). I'd like to start taking the ninja to work more, but I'm not sure what options I have with the passenger helmet. Is there a rear bag that can hold the helmet that may be able to be folded up into a tank bag? Should I try a bungee net or something? Does anyone else ever have to deal with this issue?

And before you ask, I don't want her to take the helmet into school with her.
use the helmet locks, there is 2.
travis5018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #43
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Scott, I would like to answer your question first: A bungee cargo net will secure your daughter`s helmet fine on the pillion seat.
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis5018 View Post
use the helmet locks, there is 2.
I have no problem using these while parked, but I'm not sure I like the idea of riding with the helmet hanging there.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #44
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

My advice:

1) Park with the back end of your bike even with the surrounding cars. This makes your bike visible to people searching too quickly for a parking spot. I've never had a parked car next to my parked bike clip it pulling out in 17 years of riding.

2) If you take a spill while riding, do you really want a backpack full of hard objects next to your spine..?

I never wear a backpack while riding. If you think saddlebags look 'gay', try getting a tank bag or a tail bag. There are plenty of threads on those; do a search for more info.

3) Depends on your neighborhood. Personally I'd rather lug my helmet around, rather than take a chance on some jerk hawking a luggy (or worse) into my exposed helmet....

Old August 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #45
Redskins Rule
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Is it proper etiquette to join a group ride when your are riding single?

Example: I was riding solo the other day, and a group of 5 bikes was ahead of me. I caught up to them...got into group position for a little bit...then passed the group.

Old August 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #46
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins Rule View Post
Is it proper etiquette to join a group ride when your are riding single?
this was asked before in some other thread... short answer was "no".
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #47
Redskins Rule
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
this was asked before in some other thread... short answer was "no".
Oops! Well at least I didn't stay in the group long...lol

Old August 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #48
Skidro
ninjette.org member

Name: Troy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 & 1988 Honda Shadow VTwin 800

I have a magnetic Tourmaster tank bag & love it, wouldn't go anywhere without it. I keep all kind of handy stuff in it that i might need & stuff that i purchase at stores fit securely inside, and i ride 60 miles of interstate each day & it won't blow off.

The 09 Ninjas only have a really secure hook under the back seat, so i usually carry my helmet with me unless I'm in a trust worthy place & then i just place it on the non-lockable hook at the rear of the bike. Don't like taking that seat off & on unless i have to.

I have some Nelson Rigg mini saddlebags that i put on for longer weekend rides, and they actually don't look that bad.

Thanks & Have A Fantastic Day!
Skidro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #49
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

So im going to have to ride my bike to work tomorrow (car needs to be elsewhere). Going to keep it locked up to the bike, but not on the helmet lock. I put my bicycle cable lock through the handlebar area of the bike and then through the visor area in my helmet. Sits there nice, doesnt move around much nobody is going to take that thing without some bolt cutters.

I would leave it in the employee locker room but to be honest i dont know everyone there well enough to just leave my stuff lying around without being locked up in or to something (the lockers are too small to put stuff in). Even if i thought someone wouldnt steal it i'd be afraid of someone picking it up, accidentally drop it and then not tell me.

Old August 26th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #50
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

When I started riding I lived in Newnan, GA and worked in Peachtree City, GA. Peachtree City is a golf-cart community with golf cart paths all over the city including bridge crossings and over major highways. As such, many of the local businesses cater to the golf cart customers. Parents can send their kids to the grocery store on a golf cart and the stores have designated golf cart parking.

On the other hand, some businesses (usually restaurants) have areas that aren't big enough for cars designated as being for "Golf carts only." They are plenty big enough for motorcycles. Would you park there in direct defiance of the "golf carts only" sign, knowing the true intention was simply to restrict larger vehicles from parking there (where they would not properly fit)?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #51
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I'd totally park in the cart spaces - if they have a problem with it, they'll let you know

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #52
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
When I drive to work in the morning, I have to drop my daughter off at school on the way (she's in 2nd grade). I'd like to start taking the ninja to work more, but I'm not sure what options I have with the passenger helmet. Is there a rear bag that can hold the helmet that may be able to be folded up into a tank bag? Should I try a bungee net or something? Does anyone else ever have to deal with this issue?

And before you ask, I don't want her to take the helmet into school with her.
There are 2 hooks under the rear seat that you can hook the d rings to and lock the seat. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...ml#post1723745
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #53
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Those D-ring hooks aren't meant for riding though, just parking. What about a bungee net over the rear seat? The bungee net hooks to the bungee hooks behind the licence plate. Please ask others before you go that route though i dont wanna be the idiot responsible for you loosing your helmet off the back of the bike and causing a pileup.

Old August 26th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #54
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
Those D-ring hooks aren't meant for riding though, just parking. What about a bungee net over the rear seat? The bungee net hooks to the bungee hooks behind the licence plate. Please ask others before you go that route though i dont wanna be the idiot responsible for you loosing your helmet off the back of the bike and causing a pileup.
I do have a cargo net, but I need to get some bungees to go with it as it doesn't really secure very well. I will probably get a bag that I can put the helmet in, and then net/bungee it to the passenger seat. Probably not the prettiest option, but still better than having to take the car.

Also, I ordered the Cortech Tour Master Sport Bag for the tail and the Cortech Mini Tank bag. I didn't order these for the helmet issue, but maybe I can figure out something with the tail bag.

Old August 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #55
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

I have to be honest, letting your daughter bring the helmet into school isn't a bad idea, so long as she knows that if she drops it she must tell you, and not fear that she'll be in any sort of trouble, and that safety is first. Don't worry about what the faculty will think if that's the issue. I'm sure there is a shelf in the closet in class where she can place it in the morning. I know you didn't wanna go that route, but is it really that bad of an option?

Old August 27th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #56
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
I have to be honest, letting your daughter bring the helmet into school isn't a bad idea, so long as she knows that if she drops it she must tell you, and not fear that she'll be in any sort of trouble, and that safety is first. Don't worry about what the faculty will think if that's the issue. I'm sure there is a shelf in the closet in class where she can place it in the morning. I know you didn't wanna go that route, but is it really that bad of an option?
That would be a last resort. I know her locker is tiny and she could not fit her book bag and her helmet in there very well. The other issue is that she attends a before school and an after school program (my wife and I both work). She does not have access to her locker or her classroom first thing in the morning or after school gets out which means she would have to carry it around with her. And last year, at least once a week she would forget to get her lunch bag from her locker prior to heading to the after school program. Not a big deal with the bag, but if she forgets her helmet at the end of the day, and I have to pick her up, well, that won't be a happy situation.

Anyway, I think the net on the back might work. I'm going to play with it tonight to be sure. If it works, I'll try it out for real tomorrow.

Old August 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #57
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I saw an article today about a guy who brought his son to his first day of school in a helecopter.... they didn't have to worry about the helmet issue, but the school was not amused (I was, I always wanted to do that as a kid... still do). The FAA seems to be shrugging it off too because he apparently followed all their rules.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #58
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I saw an article today about a guy who brought his son to his first day of school in a helecopter.... they didn't have to worry about the helmet issue, but the school was not amused (I was, I always wanted to do that as a kid... still do). The FAA seems to be shrugging it off too because he apparently followed all their rules.
Well I didn't think about that! Maybe I'll take the helicopter instead.

I wonder if it was a public school?

Old August 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #59
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:

I wonder if it was a public school?
I THINK it was because the person who called the FAA was one of those cops that are assigned to the school.

Here is a link to the origional article.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2243370.story
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #60
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Pretty cool. I would prefer an airplane though.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #61
PinkRyder
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bryanna

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

Oh my God!! I HAVE to know where you got that! I have been searching everywhere for a pink backpack and all my gear is pink and Icon and this is PERFECT!!! Please help!!
PinkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #62
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRyder View Post
Oh my God!! I HAVE to know where you got that! I have been searching everywhere for a pink backpack and all my gear is pink and Icon and this is PERFECT!!! Please help!!
Bryanna!

Looks like the pink Icon urban tank bag was an old ('09ish) model that they don't make anymore. All the ones i could find were black on black. Anything that listed the pink one was marked as sold out.

Probably best bet is going to be ebay or craigslist.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #63
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Bryanna!

Looks like the pink Icon urban tank bag was an old ('09ish) model that they don't make anymore. All the ones i could find were black on black. Anything that listed the pink one was marked as sold out.

Probably best bet is going to be ebay or craigslist.
I had the same results when searching too. No luck with ebay either. The closest thing I could find was a pink/black Fox backpack at Motorcycle Superstore.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #64
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Woo! Zombie Thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png zombie-thread.png (290.6 KB, 0 views)
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote