ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 9th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #41
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
There is no prime on a pregen petcock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The Petcock was completely disassembled and cleaned with carburetor cleaner. The Petcock intake screens were falling apart. It's gnarly how nasty the fuel system gets..
Don't use carb cleaner to clean stuff containing rubber. It can cause the rubber to dry up and/or swell.

Old January 9th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #42
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post

Don't use carb cleaner to clean stuff containing rubber. It can cause the rubber to dry up and/or swell.
got it

Had to look up the difference between Prime and On.. for the Petcock...

I still need to do a few things to this motor. (I don't how many miles it had or the history)

1. Change or check spark plug)
2. Valve Clearance
3. Timing Chain Tension
4 Fresh Oil new filter
5. Wash the motor
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #43
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......Had to look up the difference between Prime and On.. for the Petcock...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #44
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Had to look up the difference between Prime and On.. for the Petcock...
Prime would free flow. ON only flows with a vacuum.

Old January 10th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #45
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Thanks !

I must of effed up the rubber gasket with carb cleaner

Old January 10th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #46
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You are welcome

Old January 10th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #47
n4mwd

Maybe not bad. If the membrane is torn, you'll see one or two things. First, you might see a leak from the air hole on the side. Second, when you suck on the vacuum line, you get a mouthful of gas.

If you have gas in the tank and you suck on the vacuum line and gas doesn't flow, it either means the screens are clogged or you aren't sucking hard enough.

If it takes a lot of suction to open the valve, it could be that the carb cleaner "glued" the o-ring in place (the one around the metal thing attached to the membrane). If that is true, a trip to the local hardware store will fix the problem.

Also, the screens need to be intact because if debris gets in there, it will jam in there. If they are bad, I don't think you can buy new ones so its time for a new petcock.

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #48
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Maybe not bad. If the membrane is torn, you'll see one or two things. First, you might see a leak from the air hole on the side. Second, when you suck on the vacuum line, you get a mouthful of gas.

If you have gas in the tank and you suck on the vacuum line and gas doesn't flow, it either means the screens are clogged or you aren't sucking hard enough.

If it takes a lot of suction to open the valve, it could be that the carb cleaner "glued" the o-ring in place (the one around the metal thing attached to the membrane). If that is true, a trip to the local hardware store will fix the problem.

Also, the screens need to be intact because if debris gets in there, it will jam in there. If they are bad, I don't think you can buy new ones so its time for a new petcock.
Thanks for your help! I have the California version of the bike so i have a CA emission magic box and 3 hoses that attach to my tank.

I had the vacuum hose wrong and now i get good fuel deliver.

Did a 30 mile ride with the replacement motor and it seems to ride nice.

I did keep the RPMS below 10,000 tho just to be safe.

I am not sure how long this motor has sat around for.

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #49
Ish
ninjette.org member

Here is a picture of her.

ALLL DONE this nightmare is over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja2002Motor.jpg (111.7 KB, 3 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #50
n4mwd

Glad to hear it.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #51
Ish
ninjette.org member

Today I hit 400 miles since the motor swap.

Old January 16th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #52
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........ALLL DONE this nightmare is over

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Yes after the pop the oil light came on..

I did a pre ride inspection and didn't notice an oil leak or it runing low on oil
I had a similar experience with my 250, I had a slow oil leak and didn't notice because when I washed the bike (every other week, along with other regular maintenance i.e. cleaning the chain) I washed away the oil trail. The only real way to know you have a leak other than checking the oil as part of your pre-ride (a good thing to do) is to take the fairings off before you wash your bike, you'll see it almost immediately if you do that. That way you'll know if anything is up and you can avoid redoing this whole fiasco, it sucks and I have mad respect for you being able to fix it up. I've had my engine opened up for a while debating if its worth it for me to get a connecting rod and a piston to try to rebuild it or just junk it and keep a few parts as a memento (the tank (has a decal that I really like on it) and keys are the only thing that really strike me as being worth it to keep)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #54
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I had a similar experience with my 250, I had a slow oil leak and didn't notice because when I washed the bike (every other week, along with other regular maintenance i.e. cleaning the chain) I washed away the oil trail. The only real way to know you have a leak other than checking the oil as part of your pre-ride (a good thing to do) is to take the fairings off before you wash your bike, you'll see it almost immediately if you do that. That way you'll know if anything is up and you can avoid redoing this whole fiasco, it sucks and I have mad respect for you being able to fix it up. I've had my engine opened up for a while debating if its worth it for me to get a connecting rod and a piston to try to rebuild it or just junk it and keep a few parts as a memento (the tank (has a decal that I really like on it) and keys are the only thing that really strike me as being worth it to keep)
Thanks for the tip.

My post may show that it was a piece of cake finding the motor and doing the swap.

The most difficult aspect is finding a donor motor that won't break the bank.

I hope you are able to get your bike up and running.

If i get my old motor to run you'll be the first to know

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #55
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Really it's for financial reasons that I would prefer to rebuild rather than replace, at least for now. If/when I get it running again it'll either become a track bike or I'll give it to my older brother as a gift since he's interested in riding motorcycles but doesn't really have the budget to go out and get one himself. As it is there are other things that would also need to be fixed and while none of it is really that big of a deal replacement parts are a lot easier to get when you don't drop $3-500 on an engine. Thankfully this thread has shown me that it is reasonably possible to do when I have the budget free for it down the line so long as I don't junk the bike to free up shed space.

Old January 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #56
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Really it's for financial reasons that I would prefer to rebuild rather than replace, at least for now. If/when I get it running again it'll either become a track bike or I'll give it to my older brother as a gift since he's interested in riding motorcycles but doesn't really have the budget to go out and get one himself. As it is there are other things that would also need to be fixed and while none of it is really that big of a deal replacement parts are a lot easier to get when you don't drop $3-500 on an engine. Thankfully this thread has shown me that it is reasonably possible to do when I have the budget free for it down the line so long as I don't junk the bike to free up shed space.
I just read your sig.. You have a Ninja 300 lol i would not have finished my project if i had that.

Old January 16th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #57
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I just read your sig.. You have a Ninja 300 lol i would not have finished my project if i had that.
yep, funny thing is that I would probably have fixed my 250 by now if I hadn't gotten it, but it should all work out someday down the road. My 300 is my main bike now and my 250 would either make a sick track bike or an amazing birthday gift to my brother. I keep getting hung up on things that I want for my 300 and continuously getting more gear with my free money though hahaha

Old January 16th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #58
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
yep, funny thing is that I would probably have fixed my 250 by now if I hadn't gotten it, but it should all work out someday down the road. My 300 is my main bike now and my 250 would either make a sick track bike or an amazing birthday gift to my brother. I keep getting hung up on things that I want for my 300 and continuously getting more gear with my free money though hahaha
Not riding for a while makes you become resourceful.

how is the upgrade? Are the 50cc worth it? I am thinking of buying a Ninja 300 myself.

Old January 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #59
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
The power upgrade isn't that big up top, with my gearing altered my 250 was topping out at higher speeds than my 300. Then again I haven't really pushed my 300 nearly as long for a top speed. The extra power is felt with a passenger and when cruising around you can pull a bit more to pass people, it's much better but it's not night and day power difference like a 600 would be. What I noticed was the better stock suspension and fuel injection. Those two things make it a massive improvement over the pregen 250, the tire sizes are much better too (140 rear and can fit 150 so you have easy access to some very sticky rubber) I love the modern feel of the bike and with riding 2up from time to time the extra 50cc is great. I'd change out the front brake pads pretty quickly though for better braking feel. Also having abs is so convenient when you tend to smash the rear brake pedal a bit too hard. The tank feels better (it's a bit bigger) but stomp grip puts them fairly even in that respect. Really the biggest reason to get a 300 after owning a 250 is for the fuel injection, being able to start right up regardless of the weather is awesome.

Old January 16th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #60
Ish
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The power upgrade isn't that big up top, with my gearing altered my 250 was topping out at higher speeds than my 300. Then again I haven't really pushed my 300 nearly as long for a top speed. The extra power is felt with a passenger and when cruising around you can pull a bit more to pass people, it's much better but it's not night and day power difference like a 600 would be. What I noticed was the better stock suspension and fuel injection. Those two things make it a massive improvement over the pregen 250, the tire sizes are much better too (140 rear and can fit 150 so you have easy access to some very sticky rubber) I love the modern feel of the bike and with riding 2up from time to time the extra 50cc is great. I'd change out the front brake pads pretty quickly though for better braking feel. Also having abs is so convenient when you tend to smash the rear brake pedal a bit too hard. The tank feels better (it's a bit bigger) but stomp grip puts them fairly even in that respect. Really the biggest reason to get a 300 after owning a 250 is for the fuel injection, being able to start right up regardless of the weather is awesome.

Thanks! Its nice hearing a review from someone who actually upgraded from the exact same bike as mine.