ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Thumbs up Growler Exhaust Review '08 ninja250!

Hey, so I assume most of you have heard about the MGP HotBodies Growler for the ninja250! I bought one last week for $220 GST included. I decided to write up a review after seeing one for clutch levers made by our fellow DaBlue1.

For all those wondering my bike is all stock, so NO REJETTING done for this.
And it runs well! No problems.

So I will copy DaBlue1's style for the review since it's well organized

Styling When I first got the exhaust I was right away very surprised about the exhaust itself; it was small, looked clean and well designed, the carbon fibre finish isn't ricey and over the top. And the metal (sorry I don't know whether its aluminum or what) is a nice bronze finish, looks very solid.
The thing that surprised me even more was the weight! It honestly weighs about 1/20 of what the stock weighs in at. It is so light that I thought there was nothing in the box when I first got it.

Installation So installing this thing is probably as easy as any other slip-on, but I will quickly run through it just incase people have doubts! When you stick it onto the header pipes, fit is nice and snug like it should be and honestly it would probably stay on like that, but lets all be smart and properly install it with hardware so we don't lose it You use the stock metal strap looking thing that attatches that silver plate around your stock exhaust and just tighten it over the header pipe. This will nicely hold the exhaust in place. Next is the hoop type metal brace which comes along with it. You just slip it over...under the pipe and line the holes up with the holes under the passenger pegs. Push the stock screw through and bam!
Simple as that. Everything fitted nicely and the exhaust is held tightly in place.

Looks on the bike As far as the exhaust on the bike, it looks very good. It compliments the black colours of the newgen ninja's and also the paint which ever colour you may have. It hangs nice and tight against the bike without being any hazard to your passenger. It is a nice and small exhaust so it doesn't look like your riding with some oversized steel pipe. The moto MGP sticker which comes on it is easily removable with hardly any glue residue for those who like a clean fibre look.

Sound This exhaust is loud and that's a fact, but not loud like annoying ear breaking Harley's. My best description of tone is a great bass idle sound, with good balanced bass throughout rpms'. When you revv 8+ it gives a nice sounding scream, but not screechy so don't worry, it won't sound like some off-pitch sound. When your down shifting, the sound is amazing, it gives a type of backfiring noise if you revv match it and release the clutch slow. This exhaust does NOT come with a dB killer/silencer though. But since the installation process is less than 5 minutes, if you really need a quieter exhaust for lets say a once in awhile night time cruise and you don't wanna wake people up, switching to stock is more than easy.

Performance?! Well someone is bound to ask so I will answer! If you like taking off right away after turning the bike on, with this exhaust you will want to let it run for literally 10 seconds maximum more, just to warm it up so it doesn't have issues with running SLIGHTLY lean if your engine is cold. I did NOT REJET! And there are no problems. Not much noticeable difference in power, maybe 5% more aggressive when you hit the 6-7+ rpm range. Although as mentioned previously the weight makes a HUGE noticeable difference with the bike. You can feel that something is missing which for once is a good thing! So technically speaking you will save maybe 1 penny of gas so to speak

Overall I am impressed with the overall quality of the exhaust. It looks good and sounds great! It's less expensive than A LOT of others while it sounds amazing. So highly reccomended if you aren't against a loud exhaust, but for all those who hate loud ones, please remember it's not a ****** exhaust JUST for loudness, it actually has great loudness to it!

Hope this helps to anyone who was thinking about the Growler!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I shimmed my bike because i had some popping durning decel. If it was a tad quieter it would be perfect
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to newgen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #4
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Hey, so I assume most of you have heard about the MGP HotBodies Growler for the ninja250! I bought one last week for $220 GST included. I decided to write up a review after seeing one for clutch levers made by our fellow DaBlue1.

For all those wondering my bike is all stock, so NO REJETTING done for this.
And it runs well! No problems.

So I will copy DaBlue1's style for the review since it's well organized

Styling When I first got the exhaust I was right away very surprised about the exhaust itself; it was small, looked clean and well designed, the carbon fibre finish isn't ricey and over the top. And the metal (sorry I don't know whether its aluminum or what) is a nice bronze finish, looks very solid.
The thing that surprised me even more was the weight! It honestly weighs about 1/20 of what the stock weighs in at. It is so light that I thought there was nothing in the box when I first got it.

Installation So installing this thing is probably as easy as any other slip-on, but I will quickly run through it just incase people have doubts! When you stick it onto the header pipes, fit is nice and snug like it should be and honestly it would probably stay on like that, but lets all be smart and properly install it with hardware so we don't lose it You use the stock metal strap looking thing that attatches that silver plate around your stock exhaust and just tighten it over the header pipe. This will nicely hold the exhaust in place. Next is the hoop type metal brace which comes along with it. You just slip it over...under the pipe and line the holes up with the holes under the passenger pegs. Push the stock screw through and bam!
Simple as that. Everything fitted nicely and the exhaust is held tightly in place.

Looks on the bike As far as the exhaust on the bike, it looks very good. It compliments the black colours of the newgen ninja's and also the paint which ever colour you may have. It hangs nice and tight against the bike without being any hazard to your passenger. It is a nice and small exhaust so it doesn't look like your riding with some oversized steel pipe. The moto MGP sticker which comes on it is easily removable with hardly any glue residue for those who like a clean fibre look.

Sound This exhaust is loud and that's a fact, but not loud like annoying ear breaking Harley's. My best description of tone is a great bass idle sound, with good balanced bass throughout rpms'. When you revv 8+ it gives a nice sounding scream, but not screechy so don't worry, it won't sound like some off-pitch sound. When your down shifting, the sound is amazing, it gives a type of backfiring noise if you revv match it and release the clutch slow. This exhaust does NOT come with a dB killer/silencer though. But since the installation process is less than 5 minutes, if you really need a quieter exhaust for lets say a once in awhile night time cruise and you don't wanna wake people up, switching to stock is more than easy.

Performance?! Well someone is bound to ask so I will answer! If you like taking off right away after turning the bike on, with this exhaust you will want to let it run for literally 10 seconds maximum more, just to warm it up so it doesn't have issues with running SLIGHTLY lean if your engine is cold. I did NOT REJET! And there are no problems. Not much noticeable difference in power, maybe 5% more aggressive when you hit the 6-7+ rpm range. Although as mentioned previously the weight makes a HUGE noticeable difference with the bike. You can feel that something is missing which for once is a good thing! So technically speaking you will save maybe 1 penny of gas so to speak

Overall I am impressed with the overall quality of the exhaust. It looks good and sounds great! It's less expensive than A LOT of others while it sounds amazing. So highly reccomended if you aren't against a loud exhaust, but for all those who hate loud ones, please remember it's not a ****** exhaust JUST for loudness, it actually has great loudness to it!

Hope this helps to anyone who was thinking about the Growler!
+1. I Like the Growler too. A lil on the loud side but definitely lets people hear that you are around them.

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Nice review. Got any pics?

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Cloud Strife
Hot Wheels

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawi Ninja 250R

Agreed. This threading is useless without pics :P
Cloud Strife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
Nice review. Got any pics?

Yeah, I'll go take a few quick ones! It'll be nothing out of the ordinary until after Monday since that's when I get my licence

I'm going to need help putting them up though!!!!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #8
YouSnooze
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Pics of same exhaust on my wife's bike. She hated the sound [far too loud for her] so I had to sell it. Replaced with Yoshi. I loved the look of the Growler, however & I agree it is crazy light - I weighed it at 2 lbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Growler1.jpg (90.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Growler3.jpg (81.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Growler2.jpg (74.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Growler4.jpg (82.1 KB, 18 views)
YouSnooze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #9
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #10
caps
Sexy Beast

and yes, mine does need to be polished

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #11
BlackBeauty2010
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Grant

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Black

Can I ask where you got the exhaust from? I want one but the cheapest I've found is 300 before tax!
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackBeauty2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #12
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

motorcycle-superstore. $269 w/free shipping
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #13
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Caps. How did you mount your plate like that?
beqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #14
caps
Sexy Beast

"L" Brackets, but im gonna change it soon. lemme know if you want more info on it and ill take the passenger peg off and get you some pics one of these days

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #15
kawboyCAFE
im a NinFo!....

Name: 00000000000

Motorcycle(s): 00000000000000000

i always thought the growler was just a little too loud. or maybe its because i am getting older.
kawboyCAFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #16
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I want to show off my Growler too:

Will be selling it to HypnoKhaos in a week or 2 though in lieu of getting a Yoshi Full CF exhaust
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #17
HypnoKhaos
Deep inside...your mind..

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja Zx6r 636

Old March 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #18
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I want to show off my Growler too:

Will be selling it to HypnoKhaos in a week or 2 though in lieu of getting a Yoshi Full CF exhaust
hey! where did you get that carbonfiber hugger??

Old March 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #19
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
hey! where did you get that carbonfiber hugger??
It's a sportisi hugger... got it from the group buy that happened on here a long time ago... it took forever to get, but it's a great looking piece!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #20
ProdigyRacingLA
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r Red

i have that exhaust as well. i ride with ear plugs on.
when i was installing that slip on, the black round cover that is supposed to secure it into place is so difficult to mount. any suggetions?

i noticed you did not have it on also. thats how ive been riding but i feel like i did the install half-Ars lol
thanks!

PRLA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg growler exhaust.jpg (64.6 KB, 1 views)

Last futzed with by ProdigyRacingLA; March 12th, 2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added picture
ProdigyRacingLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #21
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

I also have the Growler and I love it!!!
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote