ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[topix.net] - Dan Hartzell: Are kids safe as motorcycle passengers?

Motorcyclists enjoyed this fund-raising benefit ride in Northampton last summer.

Click here for full story...

Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Saw a biker tonight with a little girl as his passenger. She was so small that she couldn't even get her arms around her dad (I'm guessing). The helmet she was wearing (the only gear she was wearing of course) definitely was not hers since it was too big and made her look like a bobble head doll.

I'm sure the ride was a special time for them both, but I just couldn't do something like that. I accept the risk of riding and take the necessary precautions. I think it's an unnecessary risk to put a child, at that age, through.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I took my daughter for a ride on my Ninjette earlier this year before I sold it. We didn't have street gear for her then, so the ride was very short. I made her wear all of her dirt bike gear which was fine for the speeds we saw. We rode to and then around a subdivision about a half-mile down the road.

I probably won't ever give her a ride on the ZX even though she has asked. And she won't get a ride on my wife's TU until after she gets proper gear, which will more than likely be next summer.

Old September 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I see people riding their kids on bikes ... My 15yr old wants a ride and I won't give him one a) no gear for him b) he has never ridden before.
I don't think my brand new bike (and sole mode of transport to work) would be a good idea for both him and I to learn 2 up riding on.

Besides that, I see no reason not to take kids on rides...me and my wife both where passengers on bikes for far longer than either of us ridden our own.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

What I saw last night made me fear for that little girl. She looked like she was no more than eight years old.

I kept thinking of everything that could go wrong... she could lose her grip, they could hit a deer, her dad could lose it in a turn, they could get hit by a car...

Her dad is supposed to protect her from all the bad in the world, not offer her up on a silver platter.

If he really wanted to share his love of riding with her then get her proper gear and take her on a ride in optimum conditions. Why risk it? Isn't this sport dangerous enough?
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote