ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Do You Lock Your Helmet on Your Bike?

I know that the backseat has a thing that you can lock your helmet to it, but I usually don't do so. I'm kind of paranoid, especially with all the scooters around me that like to squeeze into the tiniest of openings in the motorcycle parking lot.

It's kind of inconvenient to carry my helmet everywhere, but I'd figure a guy who sees a Shoei RF-1100 would simple take scissors and cut it off and there's a free $500 helmet that needs a new strap.

Do you guys lock your helmets to your bikes? Do you use other methods to lock the helmet to the bike?
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
I know that the backseat has a thing that you can lock your helmet to it, but I usually don't do so. I'm kind of paranoid, especially with all the scooters around me that like to squeeze into the tiniest of openings in the motorcycle parking lot.

It's kind of inconvenient to carry my helmet everywhere, but I'd figure a guy who sees a Shoei RF-1100 would simple take scissors and cut it off and there's a free $500 helmet that needs a new strap.

Do you guys lock your helmets to your bikes? Do you use other methods to lock the helmet to the bike?
Get a bag that has a helmet carrier.

I always carry my helmet with me wherever im going. Regardless of inconvenience.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I take my helmet with me. Even if I was convinced it wouldn't be stolen, I didn't pay $400 for some bird to crap on it or have some kid walk by with their jacket button and scrape it. Plus, then I get to show everyone in the store/work/etc. my cool helmet.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I lock mine to my bike sometimes.

You were saying about someone coming along and snipping the helmet strap to steal it. What's to stop someone coming along with a screw driver and stealing your fairings? Wouldn't take long and you'd make a tidy profit.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I take my helmet with me. Even if I was convinced it wouldn't be stolen, I didn't pay $400 for some bird to crap on it or have some kid walk by with their jacket button and scrape it. Plus, then I get to show everyone in the store/work/etc. my cool helmet.
Totally didn't think about the birds. And you know what's worse than jacket buttons? The thousands of 50cc scooters out here. Convenient parking with none of the commitment of buying a larger scooter or a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I lock mine to my bike sometimes.

You were saying about someone coming along and snipping the helmet strap to steal it. What's to stop someone coming along with a screw driver and stealing your fairings? Wouldn't take long and you'd make a tidy profit.
You attract more attention if you're taking fairings with you.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #6
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

If I'm going to work or something I'll take the helmet inside. If I'm going to the store or parking the bike while I walk around while on a ride, I lock the helmet to the bike.

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

If I'm not going to be gone for very long I usually just lock it on my helmet but if I know I'm going to be away from my bike for more than 10 minutes (like at school or at the store) I carry it with me
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #8
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I use this to lock my helmet to the bike. I would have used the strap locks but the cutting of the straps is too easy and also stretches out the material. The cable feels much more secure.

http://www.rei.com/product/736400/on...cable-lock-5mm

I just secure one end of the cable to the frame of the bike and then thread the other end around the chin bar and hook it to the same helmet hook lock. Put the passenger seat on and you're good to go.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

I lock and leave mine if I'm gonna be less than 2 hours or so. I used to run a chain around chin bar and lock it into the helmet lock on my pre-gen, but I thought that was too inconvenient. However I also didn't like how the stock helmet lock left the helmet resting on the exhaust pipe unless you propped it just right against the footpegs. So I made my own helmet lock by tapping a bolt into the frame. I can loop the D rings on the helmet onto it and then lock the seat in place.

When I put the seat back on it completely covers the strap. I'm sure a determined thief could get it, but it'd sure be a lot more difficult than if it was just hanging in the open.
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

That's not a bad idea either. You can make it even more secure and still easy to do if you did something like I did with the cable. Secure it to that hole to the right of your bolt, loop it through the chin bar and hook it on the bolt like you have now. Put the seat back on and voila!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTopher View Post
So I made my own helmet lock by tapping a bolt into the frame.
I'm no structural engineer, but... wont that have weakened the frame?

Also: that's the first time I've seen under the pre-gen seat: is there much space in there? More than the new gen?

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Also: that's the first time I've seen under the pre-gen seat: is there much space in there? More than the new gen?
It is the result of that really ugly, big banana seat. I'll now be hiding from the pre-gen folks

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #13
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
aww, the pre-gens are lovely! I prefer the new-gens, but I'd be happy with a pre-gen if that was all I could afford.

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #14
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm no structural engineer, but... wont that have weakened the frame?

I think there's less space, but I've never actually seen the new-gens in person. I have enough room to muscle down the waterproof liner for my riding jacket in the front section if I take storage tray out and in the back I have just enough room for a 4oz bottle of sta-bil and a pair of sunglasses.

As far as weakening the frame, it's only a 6mm hole in a 1" tube, which would be a circumference of 77mm, meaning I removed 7% of the frame in that one section.

My logic is that If I do happen to crash the bike hard enough for that little hole to make a difference, I have a hunch that the frame failing behind where I'm sitting will be the least of my worries.

Old October 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #15
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I never leave my helmet locked to the bike. I carry it into stores, sometimes leave it at the customer service desk but usually carry it with. Bad things happen to unattended helmets locked to bikes.

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:27 AM   #16
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

No way in hell im going to walk away from a $600 helmet. I'll leave the ladies HJC on there but not my nexx lol

Old November 29th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #17
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Kawasaki ninja 250r 08

Is the only way to use the helmet lock is to have a helmet with a D ring? my helmet just has a buckle ( i think thats the term for it ) and i cant see an obvious way of attaching it. would just be useful to know.
jack_bm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #18
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_bm View Post
Is the only way to use the helmet lock is to have a helmet with a D ring? my helmet just has a buckle ( i think thats the term for it ) and i cant see an obvious way of attaching it. would just be useful to know.
I'm pretty sure it's only designed for a D-ring, but maybe you can figure out a way of attaching your buckle strap.

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #19
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I usually carry mine where ever I go, but if it is a quick in and out then I'll lock it.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #20
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

When I am at school I lock my helmet with a nice bike lock and loop it through the grab bar thing and through the helmet where the visor is. No way I would use the stock helmet lock. Just cut the helmet strap with any scissors or pocket knife. It isn't quite as easy to cut through a bike lock with a pocket knife. I have a cheap helmet too, so only idiots are going to go to the trouble to take it. And if they do they will be on camera. I always park in the parking garage at campus. If I am just running errands I will walk around with the helmet.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #21
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Thread's back from the dead, I guess that indicates people using the search button.

If you've got buckles instead of D-rings you can try what I did before I tapped the bolt into my frame. As explained in my previous post, I ran a chain through my chin bar and used the helmet lock as a mounting point on the bike.

Let me see if I still have that picture...

The ends of the chain loop right into the factory helmet lock and the plastic tubing keeps the paint from getting scratched, the whole thing wraps up neatly under the seat for storage. Cost me about $3

Old November 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just walk around with mine. It makes me more attractive to the
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #23
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

@TheTopher that is intense right thuuuuur.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #24
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I just walk around with mine. It makes me more attractive to the
In my case it just makes it more apparently how clumsy I am.

Old November 30th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #25
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Use a pistol lock then through the full face front bar to the grab bar at the rear of the 250. Usually free from the local police.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #26
G-Ride
ninjette.org newbie

Name: G

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Thread's back from the dead, I guess that indicates people using the search button.

If you've got buckles instead of D-rings you can try what I did before I tapped the bolt into my frame. As explained in my previous post, I ran a chain through my chin bar and used the helmet lock as a mounting point on the bike.

Let me see if I still have that picture...

[IMG][/IMG]

The ends of the chain loop right into the factory helmet lock and the plastic tubing keeps the paint from getting scratched, the whole thing wraps up neatly under the seat for storage. Cost me about $3

Where do you store your chain? Could you just loop the lower part through the spokes of the rear wheel?

I must say that setup draws alot of attention.
G-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #27
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I just put my helmet in my GIVI top box and lock it.
Same with the passenger helmet--actually, I sometimes leave one helmet in there in case I happen to pick up chicks. Well, a chick. It only hold two helmets. And, of course, my bike only takes one passenger.

If I'm using my smaller topbox, or if the topbox has stuff in it, I often just put one strap from the helmet inside the box and lock it down, leaving the helmet hanging from the box. The D-rings cannot be pulled through the case, so it's safe.

I took the helmet lock off the side a while ago while doing some maintenance, and I...um...misplaced it.

Always thought that helmet lock was a terrible idea anyway, since it lets the helmet rest against the hot muffler.

Old December 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Always thought that helmet lock was a terrible idea anyway, since it lets the helmet rest against the hot muffler.
2008+ models fixed that problem.

Old December 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #29
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I just put my helmet in my GIVI top box and lock it.
Same with the passenger helmet--actually, I sometimes leave one helmet in there in case I happen to pick up chicks. Well, a chick. It only hold two helmets. And, of course, my bike only takes one passenger.

If I'm using my smaller topbox, or if the topbox has stuff in it, I often just put one strap from the helmet inside the box and lock it down, leaving the helmet hanging from the box. The D-rings cannot be pulled through the case, so it's safe.

I took the helmet lock off the side a while ago while doing some maintenance, and I...um...misplaced it.

The helmet lock is (as far as I know) the only place on the bike that has the key code inprinted on it. If you need a spare key made it can be handy. FWIW.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
2008+ models fixed that problem.
True, but I decided to just lock my helmet in the trunk rather than buy a new bike.

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #31
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
I'm kind of paranoid, especially with all the scooters around me that like to squeeze into the tiniest of openings in the motorcycle parking lot.
I tend to kick over any scooters within a 40 ft radius of my motorcycle, just to teach them a lesson. If they park next to me, I kick it over, and key "250" into it. I suggest you all do this too, perhaps they wouldnt park so close then. Ask Saxnbass, I did that to his scooter. 3 times.

(Just kidding.)

Quote:
If its a quick 5 minute in and out kind of thing, such as stopping at walgreens or somewhere, I lock it. If its a major store or at school, I always walk around with it. Some people at my school dont even strap their helmets in the lock, I've seen the helmet placed on the gas tank. One day I even saw a helmet just on the ground next to the bike. Also, the helmet often explains why my hair is a horrible mess.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #32
jodag
Ninjette Newbie

Name: Josquin [Jo]

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
I lock and leave mine if I'm gonna be less than 2 hours or so. ... So I made my own helmet lock by tapping a bolt into the frame. I can loop the D rings on the helmet onto it and then lock the seat in place.

[IMG][/IMG]

When I put the seat back on it completely covers the strap. I'm sure a determined thief could get it, but it'd sure be a lot more difficult than if it was just hanging in the open.
I was searching for just that! Thanks!
I have a [probably] cheap helmet my parents got for free when they bought their motorcycles, so I don't mind leaving it on the bike. [if it gets stolen, it's a sign I must buy a better helmet that I won't leave on the bike...i really just want a new one but I can't justify spending $$ when I already have one]
However, my dad said I couldn't put a hole in the frame (sigh) so I had to search for another solution...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Can_I_leave_my_protective_gear/helmet_on_the_bike%3F#Make_your_own_helmet_locks

It is basically the same principle but I am just using an already existing hole!

I hope other people like me will benefit from this!
jodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #33
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

If I had a 200 to 600$ helmet, there is no way in hell I would lock it on the bike because if the thief can't steal he could definitely damage it out of frustration and to teach me a lesson... pple are evil like that..
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #34
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I used to take it in to work with me but I've been getting crap from people about riding so I started leaving it on the bike. I highly doubt anyone would take it where I live.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #35
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I always take mine with me.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #36
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I lock my helmet on the bike most of the time. Too attract less attention I always put it in a plain helmet bag. Outta sight.. Outta mind, works pretty good I've found.

I see plenty of people in my area just hang their helmet on the handlebars or foot peg not locked at all. So I guess theft isn't much of a problem around here.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #37
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
You attract more attention if you're taking fairings with you.
Speak for yourself, human.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
If I had a 200 to 600$ helmet, there is no way in hell I would lock it on the bike because if the thief can't steal he could definitely damage it out of frustration and to teach me a lesson... pple are evil like that..
I sometimes consider leaving my helmet with my bike particularly on group rides where there are lots of bikes.

Then I remember that I spent $1200 on it and I'm like **** that
AFM #676

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #39
tcbmellowd
Kawakaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 09 Blue Ninja 250

I keep my Arai helmet locked on the bike and have it hidden in a Scorpion helmet bag lol

Mods:|Progrip 728 Blue Aluminum Grips|Custom LED Integrated Tail Light|Flushmount Turn Signals| Fender Chop|CBR250 Hugger|ProGrip Rim Tape|Blue CF Vinyl Seat Covers|
tcbmellowd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbmellowd View Post
I keep my Arai helmet locked on the bike and have it hidden in a Scorpion helmet bag lol
You should get a bilt bag.
AFM #676