ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #1
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Rolling off the throttle (but just enough)?

Everyone: How are you all practicing rolling off throttle? Straight line? During Braking?

This is an offshoot from another thread. I have been trying to practice the techniques in the following videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUdnwn3iEw (Good Throttle Control)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okEwTUYyXz0 (Proper Braking, Downshifting & Traction Control)

To quote the “Good Throttle Control” video: “Practice your roll off as much as your roll on”.
To quote the thread that spawned my question:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12
During practice runs on a close twisty road to my house. I find myself to close to the yellows often enough (n00b mistake on my part), but you can "roll off the throttle" just a hair to run the bike just a bit wide, get off the yellow line and further out of reach of traffic. Once a bit wide, you can get back on the gas and finish the turn. Much better than eating the grill or having your helmet meet the side mirror of the oncoming cage. As you know, it don't take long to go wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll
I would suggest that you don't roll off the throttle in this situation. Stay with your smooth roll through the turn. Push a little bit on the outside bar to widen your turn and get you away from the center. Practice this
rockNroll: your advice is well taken and will adjust accordingly
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
--deleted-- should have watched the video first.

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
wouldn't rolling off the throttle cause the bike to turn harder? not go wide?
Per the vid, it would cause it to go wider. The video goes into this specifically with models and explanations. It has also been my personal experience that you go wide as well.

Quote:
i think twist of the wrist's mantra says it all: (paraphrasing) once you start to get on the throttle, roll on the throttle steadily and smoothly until the turn is done.
Correct, but this is practicing for slides and such. I think I am practicing under the wrong conditions or using the technique for the wrong reason. I am using turning to hard into the turn a reason to roll off the throttle to go wide vs. a steering input correction. I choose this practice route because it’s when it’s going to really happen. In the middle of a curve…. The low speed stuff I do in the gravel pit parking lot is great, but not very realistic for when I am going to need it the most. A 5mph slide is going to be much different than a slide at a good lean with speed.

Unless someone corrects me; the good riding habit would be to continue your throttle roll as normal, use steering input to correct the overly hard intro into the curve which puts you to close to oncoming traffic i.e. the yellow line. But that doesn’t really help you prepare for sliding on that gravel or water in the middle of your corner. Hence my question of when/how to practice for that. Since I don’t have access to a track or a slide bike.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Smoothly

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

After watching that video I have been trying it every time I down shift. It makes a world of difference when you get used to it, much smoother down shifts for sure.