Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old August 12th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #1
OreGONEriding
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): Former: Valkyrie 1800 Current: None, soon to be 2017 Ninja 300

Monolock and Monokey on the Same Rack

Hey everyone, I thought I would post this up in case anyone else has been curious since I couldn't find much on the topic.

I wound up with a Ninja 300 this year and in mounting a top case discovered that I really much preferred the Givi Trekker (M8B) rack to the plastic M5 and M7 Monokey or Monolock mounting plates. The trouble is that because a) I'm cheap, and b) I wanted the option of a small case for everyday use I would need to have a Monolock mounting plate. The M8B with all of it's beauty and cutouts to allow for bungees, and overall betterness ONLY comes in a monokey configuration.

In my poking around on Twisted Throttle I noticed a Monolock kit for their SW-Motech steel rack. Being that the Givi M8B plate has removable posts and clasp this got me wondering if the kit would mount up and all the spacing be correct, etc.

So I took a gamble and low and behold it works beautifully. You could do this with no permanent modifications and it would work just fine, however I did wind up drilling one hole in the Givi Plate since the clasp from the SW-Motech kit had 3 screw holes to the Givis 2. That being said it felt plenty solid only using the two, but once I had confirmed the fit was right I figured what the hell might as well make it complete.

If I want to use a Monokey case one day for a larger application all it takes is 5 screws out and 4 back in to convert over. Literally probably a 3-5 minute job. Likewise if I want to ditch the case all together and run a flat rack I can just remove those same 5 screws and boom, flat rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180811_215042.jpg (103.0 KB, 3 views)
OreGONEriding is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Nice work!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote