ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old July 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
jc_ninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

fender eliminator

Hey,
Does anyone know of any websites that are still selling the competition werkes fender eliminator kit?
jc_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Google and Bing work great. http://competitionwerkes.com/product...aki/2004/EX250
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I found one that was cheaper than the competition workes one. only difference is you must mount your signals in the extra pods, as it doesnt have brackets to mount the turn signals into

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...pensive+fender
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #4
A7xschecter6661

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Yamaha R6

I know you are looking for a certain thing, but here is a DIY Free fender eliminator modification I figured out (may have been done before but I didn't research it before doing it )

All in all your bike has everything on it to do the rear fender eliminator...holes in the tail light for bulbs and 2 holes under the tail to fabricate a bracket for the license plate. Also you will notice a plate on the bottom of the tail/brake light that pops out. Here you can put a clear piece of plexiglass over the hole and light will now shine down onto your plate. You can pickup 2 pigtails from an autoparts store and put your own bulbs and wiring into the side lights or you can order the clear kit like I did and it comes with the bulb sockets ready to plug right into the stock without splicing.

Anyways here is the detailed writeup I did:

Made a mistake, this will not work on the 500 but can probably work on any model that has the rear fender, and a brake light with a non-used light/reflector to each side of it.

I wanted to eliminate that ugly fender on my 250 and it actually seems like kawasaki wanted people to be able to do it without even buying anything!

Well it all started as taking the fender off to see what I was going to be doing when i bought either the $40 kit or the $80 kit on ebay.

Here's what you are dealing with:

Then take off the lenses for the brakes and the reflectors on the side.

This is where I think kawasaki wanted you to eliminate it.
Under the brake light was a little plastic cover that popped right out.
So I got a piece of plexiglass, cut to fit and siliconed it in.
This will allow you to mount the plate in the 2 holes below it (with modification) and it will light it up.

Now behind the 2 side reflectors, I was shocked to find it already had holes for bulbs and all you have to do is use your old ones. But only do this if you feel like breaking the lens backing to get them out. I went down to AAP, got 2 single wire bulb sockets. Since this is going into a plastic housing and won't be grounded by the housing, you need to solder a wire onto it here.

Put the tail light assembly back in and wire the bulbs in. Use quick connects to splice into the stock wires without cutting the ends or any of that crap. Just in case you want to return it to stock or for whatever reason, never destroy the stock wiring.
Connectors shown here:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...4/108-3425.jpg

After everything is wired back in replace all your screws, lenses and such. You will be to this point. (the pigtail in the pic is for the old license plate light. Just leave it up in the tail, wrap it in electrical tape to keep dirt out.

Next is the fun part, I took a sheet of stiff plexiglass, cut it to fit, marked the holes, drilled them and painted it black. Don't worry about this looking stupid as long as you paint it the same color as the bike. Mine looked like it was just part of it.

Paint it on the inside so its shiny on the other side and you don't have to clear coat it and the paint wont wear off. Do not make it like my picture, I went for a ride and heard it against the back tire the whole time, over a few bumps it broke and I have to make a new one. Just make it with a U shaped cut out so the tire won't hit.

You will be to this point (with a U shaped cutout of the panel)

Eliminating the fender means half the inner fender cover is gone, so I decided to make the plate to keep some dirt and grime out.

The final result?

Now the last steps are, depending on your laws get these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rear-Turn-Signal...74283754074852

I put amber bulbs in because with red you won't be able to tell and they will be ready when I get the smoked lenses.

Next mount your plate to the 2 screws farthest back on the tail and the tail light lights it up through the plexiglass window in the bottom. It could be brighter (I will try a silverstar tail light bulb) but it does the job.

Overall this took just a few hours including running to the parts store so i didn't ruin parts of the old fender. It was definitely worth saving the money on buying a kit, waiting for it to ship to you, waiting to have time to do it and then having to do all the work anyway!

Let me know what you think

I will get pictures of it with the plate on and views from the side so you can see how much better it looks. Ran out of time because my dad got home and wanted to ride so I had to slap it back together and go.
A7xschecter6661 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
A7xschecter6661

Here's what it would look like if you did clear lenses and had the U cut out of the undertail piece

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
A7, if you don't mind me asking, what tire is on the back of your bike? I've never seen that tread pattern
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

I just chopped my old fender of and then went at it with a file just to make it even and straight. I just bought this from D2 moto:

http://www.d2moto.com/p-7046-1994-20...h-signals.aspx

is cheap but it does the job.

Here is what the fender looks like after you chop it, is not the prettiest but is the cheapest way to eliminate the fender:

cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #8
95XL
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '04 Yamaha FZ-1, '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
A7, if you don't mind me asking, what tire is on the back of your bike? I've never seen that tread pattern
It looks like a Kenda K671 Cruiser. Only reason I know is I just put one on my gf's 250. I couldn't go wrong for the price, considering my local shop wanted $200 to purchase mount and balance the same as stock. I bought the Kenda, and had it mounted and balanced all for around $100.

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #9
A7xschecter6661

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Kenda Cruiser S/T

Probably a cheap one since the bike came with new tires

Edit: yeah just a little cheap lol

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM   #10
EvnEvn724
ninjette.org member

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2012 zx6r

do what i did

sheet of aluminum and a dremel

drill for the screw holes and youre set!
EvnEvn724 is offline   Reply With Quote