ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 27th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #1
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 95 Magna, 99 Magna

Fuel dripping fast from the vent tube / line

I have a very fast drip from the vent line on the tank. It does it when the tank is full to about 3/4 full (so far) I had to pinch off the vent line to stop the gas, so I'm not riding it now.

We've had this bike for awhile and never had this problem so I don't think it's a case of just randomly over filling it.

I'm not sure how the vent works in the tank. Is there some kind of diaphragm or something that can corrode? Should I blow some compressed air in the hose?

Thanks in advance for the help.
MagnaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Jesse!

First thing I would do is make sure the air vent for the tank is clean and clear. If the air can't get out, then it will push the fuel out. Something has to give somewhere.

There are a few links floating about to clean and ensure all is working well with your gas cap and related vent tubes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Sounds like it could be a venting issue, no worries it's a free and easy fix,

The tank needs to vent in order to allow fuel to flow.

Quote:
You need you to disassemble the gas cap and remove the two small red diaphragms, assuming this is your only problem.

The diaphragm gets hard and losses it's flexibility and gets stuck, and doesn't allow proper venting.

IMHO this modification should be done regardless to prevent future problems whatsoever.

They are ment to vent the tank, but in the case of an accident not allow gas to leak out, but more often cause problems then they fix.

Here are some pictures to help you.

The plastic piece houses the two small red diaphragm pieces, this one being mine, they are already gone, and you can leave the plastic piece out all together, as I'm going to do now.

Some things to watch out for are, there are 5 small springs under the round collar, and a small round collar as well on the locking mechanism, don't lose any of them.

Good luck.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #4
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the prompt replies. I figured it had something to do with the air vent, but my search terms came up empty so I posted.

We disassembled the gas cap and removed the diaphragms as illustrated, but while we had the cap off, the tank still dripped out of the fuel vent regardless. Probably about two quarts came out while we were working on the cap until we pinched the line closed again.

To me that was not a good sign. It indicates that perhaps the diaphragms in the lid were not at fault. But just to be sure we installed the cap. Sealed it and ran the bike to create some vacuum in the tank. It still dripped out of the vent line.

I also blew compressed air through the vent line both from the bottom and the top of the tank when the lid was off.

Is the vent at the top outside of the tank the only vent? Or is there another vent inside the tank?

Somehow gas is getting into the vent tube.

I'll do some more searching.

Old October 27th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #5
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Are you talking about a vent line under the bike? Where does the other end of the line hook to? The gas tank or the carbs? I'm kinda lost about what line you're talking about.

Old October 27th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Okay picture time, is the bike from California? Is there any other tank vent lines?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #7
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Tank. It's in the first sentence. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
Are you talking about a vent line under the bike? Where does the other end of the line hook to? The gas tank or the carbs? I'm kinda lost about what line you're talking about.
Fuel tank. Mentioned that in the first sentence. he he.

Old October 27th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #8
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Just one vent line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Okay picture time, is the bike from California? Is there any other tank vent lines?
Just one vent line from left rear of the tank that routes down below the frame. No charcoal canisters etc.

It's just a solid drip. The fuel tank has gas in it but is about 1/2 inch below the fuel neck at the top of the tank when it's on the side stand. So when it's standing up straight it's little lower. We've had it up to the fuel neck before several times without issue.

Old October 28th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #9
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan View Post
Just one vent line from left rear of the tank that routes down below the frame. No charcoal canisters etc.

It's just a solid drip. The fuel tank has gas in it but is about 1/2 inch below the fuel neck at the top of the tank when it's on the side stand. So when it's standing up straight it's little lower. We've had it up to the fuel neck before several times without issue.

That's not a vent line, it's a drain line. It's to drain water (when it rains or from washing) from the indent under the gas cap. If it only drips after you ride or move the bike it maybe just be the gas cap seal, on the other hand if it leaks just setting, untill the fuel gets to a certain level, then the tube inside the tank (from where the hose hooks on at the back of tank and the indent under the cap) is compromised, I couldn't tell you (never paid attention) what runs on the inside of the tank, might be a hose or a length of steel line.

ps: also drains fuel if you overfill

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 28th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome, Jesse !!!

Please, follow this link:
http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=84992&tro=1
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #11
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
That's not a vent line, it's a drain line. It's to drain water (when it rains or from washing) from the indent under the gas cap. If it only drips after you ride or move the bike it maybe just be the gas cap seal, on the other hand if it leaks just setting, untill the fuel gets to a certain level, then the tube inside the tank (from where the hose hooks on at the back of tank and the indent under the cap) is compromised, I couldn't tell you (never paid attention) what runs on the inside of the tank, might be a hose or a length of steel line.

ps: also drains fuel if you overfill
Thanks very much... Even though it's bad news.

So I take it the gas cap is the vent then? Because the other bikes I've had all used a vent line.

But not to get sidetracked. It drips while it's setting still. I'll tell my girlfriend to let it drip into a gas can until it stops and then we'll check the level of it. It's possible she over filled it, but she says she's filled it up normally. And it looks to be no higher than my Ninja 250.

The bad possibility is that the line inside is corrupted. I think the compressed air to clean out the line must have been the final death blow to it. I'm guessing there's no way to inspect or check that line without cutting the tank open, right?

Old October 28th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #12
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Answered my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, Jesse !!!

Please, follow this link:
http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=84992&tro=1
Thanks for the link. You probably answered my question.

Old November 20th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Petrolh34d
ninjette.org member

Name: Kamil

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja ex250, 1996 Honda cbr900rr

I can hear my gas cap 'venting' often. This normal?
Petrolh34d is offline   Reply With Quote