ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 11th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Buying an 06 that's been sitting for almost a decade?

So I was wandering around craigslist when I found a 2006 with 800 (eight hundred!) miles that's evidently been sitting for some time now.

I've got a bit of experience with getting old pregens road-worthy but nothing like this.

Questions:
What kind of degradation happens on this timescale? Are we just looking at rust on the outside, or is the engine probably toast?
Obviously the fluids all need to be replaced but is it likely that all the insides are gummed up?
I'll happily do carbs but replacing engine bits is a little more than I'm comfortable with.

Think it's worth the time?

Old June 11th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #2
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

If it was outside odds are good that the forks are shot. Shock may be as well. engine wise you might just be talking about fluids and a carb/tank cleaning. Chain and tires will need replacement. Check the brake rotors for deep rust. For 800 it might be worth looking at but I would spend some time looking it over before committing to anything.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #3
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Our 2001 sat for 9 years in a carport.

It needed the tank cleaned, the carbs cleaned, fluids changed, and is now a great runner.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
All rubbers replaced, tires, hoses, brake lines, caliper seals. New chain, all fluids of course.

Pulls the plugs, put some light oil in the cylinders, rotate by hand to make sure the rings aren't frozen, the crank it a few times with starter motor, put plugs back in.

Other than that have fun.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #5
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I recently purchased a parts bike that sat for 8 years. I could not turn the throttle, or get the key into the fuel door lock, for a while. The tank is all gummed up, and I know that the carbs are. It was outside, but covered. Surprisingly, it was not all rusted out.

As others have stated, tires, fluids, etc. will need replacing. The sum of replacing all the "little" things might outweigh the bargain. I purchased mine strictly for parts - not to return to the road.

If the price is right, go for it!

Last futzed with by spent_too_much; June 24th, 2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling correction
spent_too_much is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #6
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

If the bike was located in the desert area of CA, with drier air, it might not be too bad..

Inspect the bike through and through before you commit, check ALL moving parts still move...

Check the inside of the fuel tank for rust, if rust present, might be cheaper just get a used tank from salvage instead of reseal it.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:49 PM   #7
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

What did you decide? Did you purchase it?

Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

I decided against it. I figure that even if I make a profit it won't be worth the time.