ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #41
The Red Scourge
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): '76 Yamaha RD400, '71 Kawasaki G3SS, '88 Honda CBR400RR, '90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Get the 250. Laugh as you effortlessly zoom past the yardsaled remains of your friend's R6 on the first moderately tight curve. Someone with his opinions has no business buying a twitchy 95bhp bike for a first.
Haha, yep! You'll love your 250 in the corners! Any asshole can be fast in a straight line. On Monday, a guy saw me in my gear (that says Kawasaki on it) and asked me what I rode. After my response, he told me to get a Gixxer! I was polite, I wanted to tell him to bugger off.

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #42
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Scourge View Post
Haha, yep! You'll love your 250 in the corners! Any asshole can be fast in a straight line. On Monday, a guy saw me in my gear (that says Kawasaki on it) and asked me what I rode. After my response, he told me to get a Gixxer! I was polite, I wanted to tell him to bugger off.
Owning both a 250 and a gixxer, there is no way I could reasonably ride any 600cc+ supersport on public roads and not end up arrested or worse. No way in the slightest. That said they're both damn fun at the track

Old February 25th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #43
Daakuryu
ninjette.org member

Name: Jean

Motorcycle(s): Red 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Welcome John.

I have been riding my 2005 250 for going on 9 years. Still haven't found its limits (or mine).

Jeff
I found the limit on my 2012 250 to be 149km/h on the Toronto <-> Montreal Highway
Daakuryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #44
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I've been riding 6 years, mostly on 250s and 300s. I've owned a 600-GSXR and a 650 Ninja and ridden several other big bikes a time or two, but I've "upgraded" to only 300s realizing that the nimbleness and maneuverability (and cost and weight) of a little bike is more up my alley. I appreciate forgiveness. Usually our little bikes are damn forgiving...and fun to throw down into a corner (just not all the way).

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #45
Big50cal
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Hi all. Been a long time.

I thought I would chime in. Now that I've had a chance to fart around on a 300 for a bit. I must say. It would be worth it to you to get any one of the fuel injected small displacement bikes.

I put 20k hard miles on an 09 250. And really just be patient and get a 300. It's really a better bike in every way. **** the thing has a clock. Like that's literally my favorite part.
250 with a clock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.5 KB, 1 views)
Big50cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #46
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I typically have no desire to know the time when I'm on my bike.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #47
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

I started on an 09' 250r in late 2012 after they had already announced the upcoming Ninja 300 for 2013. I almost wanted to wait for the 300, but boy am I glad I didn't.

Top Reasons to start on a (slightly) outdated 250r.
1. It's cheap! Plus you can resell for minimal (if any) loss. The market is huge for these bikes so resale should be easy.

2. It's cheap! Minimum insurance coverage for me at 20 years old when I bought mine was $88 bucks a year. Just under $200/year for a 100/300k policy underinsured/uninsured.
(Read Jiggles post here on insurance: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ight=INsurance)

3. It's cheap! Maintenance is easy for a new rider to do himself and tires (being small) are much cheaper than larger bikes (650 Standards, 600 SS etc...)

4. First you will have a blast, then you MIGHT get bored when all you do is try and straight line throttle it. Then you'll have a blast again when you actually try to become a good rider and learn to corner. Once you are proficient with cornering and actually handling the 250 in all riding conditions consider moving to a larger bike if so inclined.

5. If you drop it (or crash!) it won't cost you very much. Personally I didn't have collision insurance simply because the bike was so cheap to begin with; I paid $2400.

6. You can find plenty with small scratches/cracks to get it for even cheaper. You won't be so angry when your boot slips and you drop it on an uneven gravel parking lot the first week (not that I ever did that...). On a brand new 300 you'd be furious with yourself.

7. You'll know you love motorcycles for RIDING them. Not for looking cool, not for doing 150 mph on a public road in a straight line, and not for what your friends think of you.

Now, while you won't be doing triple digits down the freeway on your 250 without a tailwind and a slight downhill grade you can still hurt yourself! Falling off any motorcycle onto asphalt at 50mph will hurt regardless of displacement. You can seriously injure yourself so be sure to take a riders safety course, or at least self educate on proper riding technique. Buy decent riding gear (from head to toes!). There are plenty of resources right on these forums.

Welcome to the club

*Also, my pet peeve, but at 18 you shouldn't ever be financing what is ultimately a toy since you have a truck already. I'm only 22 and have watched several of my friends/acquaintances finance toys the past 4 years. More than a couple have had issues or regretted taking on unnecessary debt so quick. Whether you're a future Walmart employee or CEO of a fortune 500 company don't spend money you don't have.

You should save up enough to pay for the bike, insurance and all your gear before pulling the trigger. In fact, I recommend you force yourself to buy gear before allowing yourself to buy a bike.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #48
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

There is a fun factor you cannot put a price on and these machines deliver it.
You cannot flog a SS bike like you can with these little machines.
The best times of your life are when your having fun, and the smaller machines allow that because you don't have to think about the machine doing something unexpected.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #49
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Pretty much my fav quote ever: "It's far more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow".

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #50
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRidin View Post
Whether you're a future Walmart employee or CEO of a fortune 500 company don't spend money you don't have.

You should save up enough to pay for the bike, insurance and all your gear before pulling the trigger. In fact, I recommend you force yourself to buy gear before allowing yourself to buy a bike.
Everything Nick says in his post is spot-on!

The 250 is a great first bike! (Or second or third bike...). They are just plain fun!

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Welcome, John!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #51
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I know a guy who started on a 250 dirt bike, later bought a 1000 cc sports bike, got scared, and sold it a few weeks later.

Old February 26th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #52
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
of course it's outdated! The bike designed for sale starting in '88 is nearly identical to the bike designed for sale in '08. The 300, starting in '13 isn't really that much different, besides the fuel injection.

But it's still worth buying one to flog.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #53
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

The Ninja 250 stayed nearly exactly the same for 20 years and got a revamp.

You ever hear "don't fix what ain't broke?"
Something timeless can't be outdated. They are fabulous starter bikes. Some people "grow out of" them quickly and upgrade but then you have enthusiasts on forums like these who can eat supersports and liter bikes alive on twisty roads.
Are they big, flashy, loud and fast? No, not particularly. But if you're buying a motorcycle because it's those things, it's all the more reason to start on a smaller bike with a slice of humble pie.

If you don't buy new they have great resale value so upgrading isn't a chore. In the meantime you save on money, gas, insurance and ego. And that extra money can go toward the msf course if you haven't taken it and better gear, which with any luck you will have longer than the bike.

I've had my ninja almost 3 years now. I want to get a bigger bike but 65 mpg don't lie. No one wants to steal it, it's easy to work on and cheap.

Old February 27th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #54
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

Also, you're young and stupid(Sorry) and the smartest thing you can do is realize that about yourself. I hit the top speed of my 250 within three days of owning it. Besides the msf course I'd literally never ridden a motorcycle before. That's ****ing dumb, and I am dumb. But I at least had that tiny ounce of foresight to not get a supersport. I know me and I knew that I would have tried to find and push the limits, where ever they are, as soon as possible.
So if that sounds even a little bit like you just save yourself the agony and temptation.

And financing a first motorcycle is just asking for trouble. Before you make any decisions at least test ride a few 250's. I can pretty much guarantee that whether you get a 10 year old pregen on a brand new 300, you will love the **** out if it because it's your first bike.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #55
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Another thing that I did BEFORE I bought my motorcycle was that I watched videos of accidents both living and fatal accidents, I looked at pictures of road rash, I read about riders in a coma for days, weeks, and months. I did this so I that I can be aware and informed about the risks of riding. I did this so that I can know and accept the "terms", risks, and possible outcomes of riding. Once aware, I learned how important it is to have all the gear, skills, information, and minimizing risk anyway possible to increase the chances of continuing to live. You can read through these forums of people who have had accidents and you can also read about accidents with not so happy endings. I myself have had close calls and with "just a 250". Be safe. Post up pics when you get your first motorcycle.

Old February 27th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #56
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
Another thing that I did BEFORE I bought my motorcycle was that I watched videos of accidents both living and fatal accidents, I looked at pictures of road rash, I read about riders in a coma for days, weeks, and months. I did this so I that I can be aware and informed about the risks of riding. I did this so that I can know and accept the "terms", risks, and possible outcomes of riding. Once aware, I learned how important it is to have all the gear, skills, information, and minimizing risk anyway possible to increase the chances of continuing to live. You can read through these forums of people who have had accidents and you can also read about accidents with not so happy endings. I myself have had close calls and with "just a 250". Be safe. Post up pics when you get your first motorcycle.
After that I'm surprised you didn't go for:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_20070928.jpg

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; February 27th, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #57
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
After that I'm surprised you didn't go for:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Series_40D.jpg
I don't get the joke, I'm not that old...

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #58
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Okay, updated for the younger generation.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #59
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I've been riding 6 years, mostly on 250s and 300s. I've owned a 600-GSXR and a 650 Ninja and ridden several other big bikes a time or two, but I've "upgraded" to only 300s realizing that the nimbleness and maneuverability (and cost and weight) of a little bike is more up my alley. I appreciate forgiveness. Usually our little bikes are damn forgiving...and fun to throw down into a corner (just not all the way).
Well said.

I have had a ton of bikes, tourers, super/hypers (zx14) and all in between and I'm now down to 3 bikes each with a different duty... I have been riding 25 years on the street and out of my 3 bikes I put more miles on my 300 last year than the other 2, it's just so fun.

Be honest with yourself, what you want out of a bike and your personality when you buy, it can save you from taking a costly step in the wrong direction. I have seen many friends "upgrade" only to find the fun factor changed... different tools for different jobs, fun but different bikes are different kinds of fun. I like to think of my 300 as the Miata of sportbikes... small, light, cheap, handles well (for my street use at least) and is a ton of fun.

As the saying goes, it's more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow. Being able to use more of the bike is nice to me but I also have friends who ride 500, 600 and 1000 that prefer to ride the bike easier/softer and never break 6k-9k on the tach at the same pace I'm pushing my 300 a bit more and using more of the rev range.

Last note, I have also had 2, 250's. Sold the used one for what I paid for it and the other that I bought new was close excluding tax/tags. Can't go wrong with a 250 or 300 in my book.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote