ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old April 21st, 2010, 04:09 AM   #1
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Safety wire snafu

While drilling the oil drain bolt for my new race bike I snapped a drill bit in it. The bit (1/16") broke such that the bit is below the surface of the bolt head and I can't get it out. Is there a trick to getting a broken bolt out? Is there an option other than replacing the $25 bolt?

Thanks for any help!
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

A few ideas I've used at various times in the past for when I've botched a drill bit:

1/16" is pretty bleedin' small, but might try stuffing some stiff wire (paperclip?) in the flutes as deep as you can get it, and trying to back it out by twisting on the wire

Any chance of coming at it from the other side and tapping it out when they meet? Obviously this needs precise alignment or you'll wind up with misaligned holes that'll make it difficult to get the wire through without re-drilling it larger.

May also consider 'easy-outs' (or just some left-handed drill bits), counterclockwise threaded drillbits designed to help with this kind of problem. Finding one small enough might be a task, and I'll tell you from experience it really sucks when one of these breaks off on top of the item you're trying to extract, but that's generally rare.

And of course, any chance of simply taking the drain bolt to your local automotive (or hardware) store and finding a match for $2?

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Just leave it and drill another hole. The drain bolt is so big I like to drill at an angle through adjacent flats vs. straight through the whole bolt.

It takes a little practice. Without a guide you need to drill in about a 1/16" then start again at a slight angle, then again. Eventually you'll be able to go at an angle. It takes practice and patience but results in fewer broken bits.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Dmitriy
voda?

Name: Dmitriy

Motorcycle(s): .... & a Ninja 250 duh

I used a drill press, those bolts seem to drill hard-easy-hard.
I used a LOT of WD40 when drilling and putting only a little bit of pressure on going down.
I also came back up frequently.

If the bit broke in such a way that its blocking the center-line of the bolt then try craigs method. If the center is not blocked by the broken bit then you can drill all the way through one of the other sides.

Remember WD40 (lots of it), Drill press & go easy at the end.
Dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2010, 09:44 AM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

What 2wheelguy said...

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:12 PM   #6
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Ok, I'll try that next time Craig. I tried going at an angle but got nowhere. I then remembered the seized engine I have lying around
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Might be worth a cheap milling machine so you can cut a flat spot on the corner for drilling. Cut all your flats, change to drill chuck and start drilling. The Harbor Freight Micro Mill is a decent little device for this sort of work.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote