ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 :)

learned some new things this week...

1: how to ride in the rain. it wasn't as bad as i thought but it wasn't super fun either. however now that the first one is out of the way i feel more confident about making rain rides
2:not really a biggie but i finally got balls enough to slide off my seat when cornering. was a little nervous the first couple times and i still need a lot of practice but i got to take my favorite corner on the road i live on somewhat faster then normal. after the first few times it started feeling a little more natural but i am sure with time and a lot of practice and muscle memory i'll be ok. i am happy about this because it added a new element to riding the twisties for me.
3: The one i am most proud of is i learned how to shift without my clutch yesterday. i had read someone mentioning it on my rain ride thread so i played with it yesterday and this is my experience with shifting... looking for some feedback to find out if this is same fro everyone or if im doing it right wrong whateva.

upshifting: the earliest i could upshift without my clutch is 10k. anything below 9.9 just wouldn't do. i also learned that there is def a time and place for using a clutch and errr speed shifting i guess...(no need for getting a ticket cuz i don't wanna pull a lever lol

downshifting: a good downward push around 5 k seem to be the sweetspot. unless i have to brake sooner i actually prefer downshifting this way now preferred to using clutch because it seem much smoother to me.

are there any advantages / disadvantages to this style of shifting. i can haz feedbacks now?

p.s. also let me know if i am doing stuff thats dangerous and stupid...i have a reputation to negle...err protect
EvilPooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

There's 2 possible ways to clutchless upshift

Light pressure up on the shifter & roll slightly off by a couple of mm & back on should do for the upshift, it should work from about 6k in any gear above neutral.

Sharper motion, flick the selector up as you chop the throttle by a few mm & sharply back on (this one takes a bit more finesse with your timing)

cover the clutch in case it fails to engage, but you should be able to get the first one smooth pretty quickly.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

The 1st way whiskey stated is how i've been able to clutchless upshift, though I hear it's hard on the bike (heard the same when I raced dirt bikes, but did it anyways then).

As for downshifting...never tried it, I just throttle blip.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Clutchless upshifting - has some merit.
Clutchless downshifting - great for bending shift forks and breaking the spinny expensive doohickies in the transmission, with no performance benefit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #5
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Clutchless downshifting very useful in dirt riding as a technique to get the back tire loose going into a corner. So if you are riding your Ninjette on dirt and trying to lose the back tire, go for it. Otherwise, use the clutch on downshifts. You want smooth downshifts on the street to keep engine braking and thus your rear tire under clear control. Using the clutch with a blipped throttle is great for smooth downshifts.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote