Old September 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Internet Speeds Are Often Slower Than What Consumers Pay For, FCC Finds

Also, from the Washington Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...ower_inte.html

The small army at the FCC trying to figure out how to bring broadband Internet to all American homes gave their half-time report Tuesday at the agency. Lots of takeways about how much it would cost and how networks aren't up to snuff, according to a study by the FCC. But here is one data point that really stood out to this reporter:

-Actual broadband speeds lag advertised speeds by as much as 50% to 80%.

So more than half the time, and sometimes as much as eight out of ten times, consumers are paying for slower Internet access speed than they signed up for.

Joel Kelsey, a policy analyst at Consumers Union, says he's heard many such complaints from users and has pushed for the Federal Trade Commission to take up a review under truth in advertising laws. A spokeswoman at the FTC said the agency doesn't publically disclose all of its investigations.

"This speaks to consumer empowerment. And if you are advertising one speed but delivering another, that takes power away," Kelsey said. "Consumers can't make accurate decisions based on quality of service from one provider off another."

Other takeaways: It could cost between $20 billion and $350 billion to accomplish the task, depending on if you want to just send e-mail with large PDF files or watch HD videos over the Web. And even the networks in place now aren't robust enough to meet the kind of traffic expected down the line.

"A constrained network dictates investment needs in infrastructure," the FCC's broadband task force said in its report. About 1% of users drive 20% of traffic, while 20% of users drive up to 80% of traffic, according to the release.

- Three to six million people are unserved by basic broadband (speeds of 768 Kbps or less).

-Nearly 2/3 of Americans have adopted broadband at home, while 33% have access but have not adopted it, and another 4% say they have no access where they live.

-Universal Service Fund recipients have made progress bringing broadband to rural America, but the fund faces systemic and structural problems.

All of these data points will go to informing a game plan being crafted by the task force. Blair Levin, former chief of staff to chairman Reed Hundt, is leading the group and required by Congress to present a final plan on Feb. 17.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

C-NET's speed test that I've used for years.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

For Comcast cable-internet users, use this one. It takes into account the PowerBoost that Comcast connections have for the first few seconds of a download, so it doesn't artificially inflate the download speeds.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

OFF topic-Alex you have a cute kid

ON topic- I was surprised that i am actually getting 1.96 MB DL speeds when I am paying for 2.0, not tooo far off.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Thx Michael!

www.speedtest.net is showing almost identical stats to the comcast one, so maybe the some of the other testers have figured out how to discount the powerboost feature. Here's what they are both telling me now, not bad for $35/month:

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 30th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

But it's better than the modem and sat crap we had before we finally made the phone company install lines.

Tip on the providers - order whatever the highest available that you can afford happens to be, then do some testing - if they can't provide higher than the next-highest level of service, they have to provide you a plan change to that level of billing.

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Doesn't apply to DSL. Dsl loses speed the farther you are from the Central Office. So unless you live next to the CO you will never get the 3mbps that is their highest consumer tier around here. You have to apy for the 3mbps to maybe get 1.5mbps. It's a racket ad becaue they tell you that the speed is dependent on the distance from the CO it's apparently accepted as legal. Maybe the FCC can change that.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #9
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

It works with the DSL here - they won't sell you the service if you can't be guaranteed the speed of their minimum package as calculated by distance - part of the problem that we had with them - plus the next package is the 1.5, this we wouldn't gain anything at our speeds unless we downgraded to that package... but if we were paying for 3 and not able to get even 1.5, then they would change the plan to bill for the 1.5 instead.

Old September 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Wish they would do that here.

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #11
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #12
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

wow. 25 MB/s?? 15mb/s????

how much are u guys paying for internet..if u dont mind me asking.

i get 3mb/s >.>;
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #13
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

I pay somewhere in the $100 range for cable, phone and 20/5 Internet with Verizon FiOS. Doesn't surprise me that I'm just over 50% what I'm paying for download - it varies from 8 to 20, depending on traffic at the peers.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #14
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I have ATT and I have 3.0 download and 768 upload. What I actually see on average is 2.8 download and 600 upload....close enough for me.

Price is 30 a month I believe.

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM   #15
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

When you say 3mb you mean megabites when they say 20 mb they mean megabytes and in computers 8bytes equals a bite ( don't think I spelled any of that right). So whenyou say you are getting 3.0 mb you really are getting 24-25 mb according to broadband companies
Posted via Mobile Device
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM   #16
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i never see what I pay for with comcast - I have the 16Mb service and have NEVER EVER seen over 12. Normally its 7 to9 Mb/s
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Network speeds are almost always given in megabit per second (Mb/s), and are rarely converted to megabyte per second. File and data sizes are rarely given in megabits, and usually are in megabytes (or kilobytes or gigabytes). No technical reason for this distinction, it's just convention. But as was mentioned, a 10 megabit connection (Mb/s), working at full speed, will be able to transfer a little over 1 megabyte of data per second.

All of the speedtests online consistently use megabit per second (Mb/s), and can therefore be compared directly to measure actual speeds of different connections.

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:48 AM   #18
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Ya I know, it's just not important enough to ever remember lol.

My paid for connection speed is 3.0Mb/s....as seen on the speed tests it is around 2.8Mb/s.
Atually downloading date is around 250kb/s or whatever it is technically.

In any case, the monthly cost is minimal and the speed is more then enough for everything I do online, so I have no complaints. 20Mb/s is impressive, but overkill for anything I would do atm.

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM   #19
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

What people fail to realize is how their type of internet connection works usually. ex: DSL users might sign up for a 5Mb/s connection (like myself) but DSL requires a hub station within 5km (3.125Miles), as you move farther away from this hub your max speed drops. this is just how the technology works and is no fault of the provider.
Cable internet users are uneffected by the distance to their local hub, however they do share bandwith to local fibre connections with neighbours (this is usually only those on your street, and maybe the street over) the connection speeds given are a known max of X# of users before any slowdown will be shown, however since the companies assume only so many people will be useing so much bandwith they stuff more people then they should on a hub. this is what results in a slow down in speed when those "extra" people are online and useing bandwith.
often your cable internet connection is controled by firmware that is set by the cable company in your modem so that you modem is what restricts your MAX speed.

Now, all that said...in Canada and I have heard in the US as well, many of the companies are "throttling" the users connections by up to as much as that mentioned 80%. This is being done in an attempt to get more people on existing infastructure.

It is this throttling that I have a problem with....I do not agree with a company selling you a product rated for 50Mb/s when they will then throttle you down to 10Mb/s so that others on slower connections can run without to much slow down.

Here Rogers Cable offers 50Mb/s for $130/mo I believe it is, and with a download cap of 95GB/month.....not worth it if I know I will never get those speeds, and can only download 95GB....
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM   #20
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Consider about 20% as IP overhead that usually doesn't get reported in the speed tests. Sometime less, sometimes more. When I figure out the capacity for a stream, I normally use between 20 and 30 percent for the over head.

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM   #21
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogamez View Post
Here Rogers Cable offers 50Mb/s for $130/mo I believe it is, and with a download cap of 95GB/month.....not worth it if I know I will never get those speeds, and can only download 95GB....
Rogers is currently only offering the 50meg service in small area of Toronto, up in our our area 10/1 is the best we can get. I have the service (switched from a local DSL provider recently) and I'm actually getting a full 10/1 every single time I speed test it. The 95 gig cap isn't too bad, I measured my usage at 40 gig last month.

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM   #22
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
Rogers is currently only offering the 50meg service in small area of Toronto, up in our our area 10/1 is the best we can get. I have the service (switched from a local DSL provider recently) and I'm actually getting a full 10/1 every single time I speed test it. The 95 gig cap isn't too bad, I measured my usage at 40 gig last month.
yea, i think the 50Mb requires a direct fiber line, that's why it's only in Toronto
i think they also offer a 15 or 16Mb service as well but not sure if it's where we are.
My DSL is 5Mb/s with unlimited DL for $350/year with Acanac

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM   #23
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

As Greg said, they are not taking into account overhead. You also can't expect your provider to certify 10Mb/s speeds once you leave their network. You may be connected to Optimum Online or whoever else but Speakeasy.net is not. A true speed test is done on your providers FTP site. Any number of factors might influence the actual speed you receive data including server load, network conditions, weather, current upload traffic, and lets not forget the performance of your own computer / router. A Porsche might be able to do 170mph but you wouldn't expect it to in NYC traffic. That's why they advertise "UP TO 15Mb/s"
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #24
cifex
ninjette.org guru

As for as megabits and megabyte.....

1 bit = a 0 or 1
1 Byte = 8 bits
1 KB (KiloByte) = 1024 Bytes (HDD manufactures use orders of 1000 instead 1024, thus Windows shows your 40GB hard disk as 37.2GB)
1 MB (MegaByte) = 1024 KiloBytes

Mb = Megabit
MB = Megabyte

The download window in IE / Firefox shows how many KB or MB.

If you are downloading at 437KB/s and you want to know the advertised speed you just multiply by 8. = 3496 / 1024 = 3.14Megabits per second.

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM   #25
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogamez View Post
yea, i think the 50Mb requires a direct fiber line, that's why it's only in Toronto
i think they also offer a 15 or 16Mb service as well but not sure if it's where we are.
My DSL is 5Mb/s with unlimited DL for $350/year with Acanac
I chatted with Rogers about it and supposedly it only requires a normal cable line, but the modem and local cable hardware needs to work on a new signalling system (Docsys 3). The old signalling method (Docsys 2) maxes out at 10/1.

I was with Acanac a long time ago, and was on Compusolve and Execulink for a while. The crappy lines in my neighbourhood only support 3mb/s service and at best I was only getting 1.5-2.0. I hate supporting Rogers over a local company, but the speed difference is crazy.

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #26
cifex
ninjette.org guru

That's the DOCSIS 1 max. 2 maxes out around 35Mb/s. 3 i dunno.....really high? lol

EDIT: According Mr. Google DOCSIS 3 maxes around 120Mb/s.

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM   #27
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

yea, my speed is not 5Mb, it's more like 2 lol (at most!) but since I'm DL all day and night I stay with them for the unlimited DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patw View Post
I chatted with Rogers about it and supposedly it only requires a normal cable line, but the modem and local cable hardware needs to work on a new signalling system (Docsys 3). The old signalling method (Docsys 2) maxes out at 10/1.

I was with Acanac a long time ago, and was on Compusolve and Execulink for a while. The crappy lines in my neighbourhood only support 3mb/s service and at best I was only getting 1.5-2.0. I hate supporting Rogers over a local company, but the speed difference is crazy.

Old October 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM   #28
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

This is supposed to be 1.5mb download and .5mb upload. Our internet cost nearly 80usd per month. This is also the fastest DSL you can purchase in my town.

Whats ridiculous is that I play on xbox Live with this connection, and even more ridiculous, is this connection is split between 4 computers and a xbox 360.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote