ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

CE Bio vs CE Sas-Tec?

I'm looking into buying a good first motorcycle jacket, and I've encountered regular foam, CE certified foam, then CE Bio and Sas-Tec.

I know CE is the standard for protection, but after that, does Bio or Sas-Tec reign supreme? Is it just brand loyalty, considering Alpinestars tends to label their's with Bio while other companies like Scorpion label their's Sas-Tac.

Just for comparison's sake:

BIO: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...own-air-jacket

SAS-TEC: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ttalion-jacket

Google didn't provide much information besides a general description of both..

Do the Ninjette gods have answers?

Roark

Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Alpinestars' "Bio Armor" armor is just a brand name associated with Alpinestars and not any sort of specific technology. It's relatively low-tech stuff in that it's hard material that absorbs impact. It still works, but it's nothing fancy.

Sas-Tec is a specific type of armor independent of a particular company. Much more flexible than standard armor normally, but is supposed to harden on impact. D3O is the same deal. Some companies put this armor in their jacket as standard.

I had a "Bio Armor" jacket back protector and it was super stiff. I replaced it with D3O and it is definitely extremely flexible and great stuff compared to standard armor. I ended up replacing all the armor in that jacket with D3O and it was gloriously flexible. I imagine Sas-Tec would be about the same.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

@tfkrocks,

Thank you! Couldn'tve asked for a more concise answer.

This definitely aids in my motorcycle jacket search.