ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

08 fuel cut out problem

hey guys,

my 2008 Ninja 250 with a full tank, it runs great. However, when it gets to about 1/2 a tank or so, on a freeway, it looses power after about 5 mins of riding and just dies. It happened to me several times. I had to full over to the feeder, turn everything off, let it sits for a couple of mins, and crank with full chock and it'll gradually comes to live again...then drive for 5 mins or so and it dies again. If I pull up to a gas station and full it up to full (from about 1/2 tank), then it runs fine.

The only mod I did to the line to the carb is put in a big inline fuel filter and took out that little stock fuel filter (locates near the carb). Is it something wrong with the petcock? Is it the fuel filter? What do you guys suggest I would do?? drain the tank & take out the petcock and inspect???
The bike has about 1200 miles on it. Bought it brand new. Warranty expired a week ago
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds to me like a venting problem. Way to confirm it is to ride with your second key right in the gas cap, and as the bike is dying, pop open the gas cap and see if it immediately restores your power. If that's the case, then it's probably nothing more than a vent tube that's kinked somewhere from one of the times you lifted the tank up.

If the venting isn't working properly, the fuel being drained out of the tank starts to pull quite a vacuum inside the tank, and eventually it will keep the fuel from flowing out of the tank properly. The other telltale sign is as you pop open the cap you hear a pretty noticeable "whoosh".

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #3
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

I had a similar problem due to venting. Pull over and try opening the fuel cap and then start it. It it fires right up then you have a vent problem. The strainer on the petcock takes quite a while and a lot of neglect to clog up so I doubt after 1200 miles it is that.

How long ago did you put the filter on? I doubt it's that, but if you put the filter on and then had the problem... You know

If opening the gas cap fixes it, then perhaps something is clogging the vent? The vent hose is the one hose (for you non California people) that exits the left side (when sitting on the bike) near the front of the gas tank and leads to the bottom of the bike. If that got pinched or clogged it will cause the condition you've described.
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4
VeX
That's me!

Dang! Alex is fast like a Neeeeeenja!

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

I thought it's vent too so I openned up the gas cap and drove and the engine still dies after 5 mine or so.

I'm thinking of replacing the fuel filter and see what happens. I replaced the fuel filter when the bike has 100 miles or so (did it when pull airbox to pods, rejet with factory pro kit and elim klean air system).

Again if I drive slowwww then it's fine. If I'm on freeway accel fast and with half tank, this prob occurs. I'm thinking fuel is not filling up the carb fast enough? May be hindered by this stupid aftermarket filter?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #6
VeX
That's me!

Right. If you open the gas cap it relieves the vacuum. By riding and gas leaving the tank, you'll keep re-creating the vacuum. Opening the gas cap is a way of discovering the problem, not permanently fixing it As for filters, gas flows a lot slower then you think into the carburetors. There's no way a filter could cause that much of a restriction.

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #7
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Okay so it's not vent prob and not filter prob, what's a possible problem then? Any idea?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 6th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #8
VeX
That's me!

Well that's the damnedest thing. IMO I'd work backwards then and bypass the filter, and see if that helps. I've only had problems with small engines and fuel filters when the gas tank is rusted out (and the filter clogs almost instantly). That's why I'm doubting the filter being a prob.

I suppose you could pop the fuel line from the carbs and hold it over a little can or something and turn the petcock over to prime. If fuel pours out easily then that eliminates that. Hell you could even get a bigger container and see if the tank will easily drain a couple of quarts of gas. If a quart of two comes out without fault then that would eliminate anything from the fuel tank side of things.

Silly question, but did you install the fuel filter so the arrow indicating flow is pointing down towards the carbs?

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Silly question, but did you install the fuel filter so the arrow indicating flow is pointing down towards the carbs?
Yeah, I noticed that arrow and I remembered that I was extra careful in putting it in making sure the orientation is pointing in the correct direction so I'm pretty sure installation on that part is not an issue.

I'll swap out the filter with some bigger one (presumably better flow, less restrictive) and see if that would solve this issue.

Old June 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

If the only thing you did was the filter, best check that.

Maybe there are different ones for free flowing, compared to under pressure(fuel pump)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #11
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
If the only thing you did was the filter, best check that.

Maybe there are different ones for free flowing, compared to under pressure(fuel pump)
Mine is free flow...I'm pretty sure of it. Looks like this one...but I'll swap out for a bigger one and see if that solves it.

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

^ Yeah, that one looks ok. But if you never had it happen before the mod....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

longshot - but could a different sized/flow fuel filter mess with the vaccuum petcock??
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #14
VeX
That's me!

negative. The vacuum function of the petcock and the fuel flow are independent of each other. Good suggestion though That and he put it on prime and still had the problem.

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #15
randomwalk101
self wrencher

no i didn't put it on prime and drive..i did open the gas cap and drove.
pulled the line and put on prime...fuel pours out...so looks like petcock is not restricted/hindered..

replaced the fuel filter with big a$$ fuel filter...tank is full from yesterday. start her up and drove for like 2 hours plus...took it down all the way to about half (1.7 gallons at fill up before going home)...no fuel cut out....yet...need more testing.

one thing I notice though is first when start her up 70mph tach indicated 7K rpm.
after about 30 mins drive, 70mph tach indicated 8K rpm (consistently from there on)....until cool down (next day) then it's 7:7 again. This is with 15 sprocket front and 43 rear.

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
one thing I notice though is first when start her up 70mph tach indicated 7K rpm.
after about 30 mins drive, 70mph tach indicated 8K rpm (consistently from there on)....until cool down (next day) then it's 7:7 again. This is with 15 sprocket front and 43 rear.
This portion sounds like a typical symptom of the ignitor issue we've been discussing in your other thread, right?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #17
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Yup... And I scored an ignitor off eBay for cheap. Will swap it out and see
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #18
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
negative. The vacuum function of the petcock and the fuel flow are independent of each other. Good suggestion though That and he put it on prime and still had the problem.
ah, forgot about the prime.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Hmm... sound a bit like my issue.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38016

I have had the bike oddly die and refuse to start again a couple of other times long ago, but it always started working a few minutes later (after checking fluids and such).

Did you ever get it solved, John?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #20
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Yeah. It was the aftermaket fuel filter. Replaced it with a bigger free flow one solved it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:31 AM   #21
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Kinda o/t

With the RC helicopters I used to mess with they would omit the fuel filter for such reasons. Could be costly to have the gas cut out at the wrong time.

I'd imagine could go the same way for a bike on the freeway when you need to pass or something.
Maybe you can pre-filter the gas?
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Yeah. It was the aftermaket fuel filter. Replaced it with a bigger free flow one solved it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I haven't added one, so I hope mine is as simple as clogged vent holes. Come to think of it, I haven't heard the tank whistle in a while and it did happen when the tank was cooled suddenly by rain (causing a more rapid vacuum to develop).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote