ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Zaydoc
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

Helmets

Anyone ever heard of LS2 helmets or have you used one?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FF387 SPLIT-sm.pdf (444.1 KB, 8 views)

Last futzed with by Zaydoc; March 26th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
Zaydoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Made by a big Chinese helmet manufacturer (JPH - Jiangmen Pengcheng Helmets) that does ZOX helmets, MHR helmets, among others. I got to see their factory in Guandong as part of my job when I lived in China - its pretty impressive. (As an aside, typical pattern of Chinese company starting out as a manufacturer for other brand's stuff - here they did Speed and Strength's helmets I think, then putting out their own competing products using what they learned.) LS2 and MHR are the JPH helmet house brands. Doesn't mean they are good or bad helmets in and of themselves. And good luck if you think you can avoid Chinese-made goods. Its just that I tend to prefer quality control and oversight to come from outside a Chinese factory and based in a country with better regulatory oversight. In fact, in a quick review of NHTSA reviews of helmets claming DOT compliance, it appears as if certain helmets made by JPH have failed independent DOT testing. Now that would make me worried.

Interesting story behind LS2 helmets. JPH was looking for a new, more stylish helmet to reach a larger audience that their MHR helmets. Hired a helmet designer who gave them prototype designs. They then allegedly cancelled the contract and didn't pay for the designs which because LS2 helmets. Big lawsuit pending on it.

None of this, except maybe the DOT thing, is terribly relevant to whether any particular LS2 helmet you buy, presumably at a very low cost, would be good protection for value. But if it were me, I'd stick with a trusted manufacturer. Take a look at Scorpion Helmets if you want a value helmet with a good safety reputation.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote