ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Ninjette.org Gear testing....

So as a spin-off from the polyester thread where folks are claiming that some gear might melt, and having mythbusters do a test was proposed, I had a thought to do our own testing.
Sadly, I think that the number of members who have gone down recently might lend itself to us doing a test of the different types of gear. If anyone has gone down and has gear that is no longer usable, this could help us with a test.
My rough idea at this point, which would be refined if we have enough interest, would be to take a uniform sized sample from different types of gear and put it through an abrasion testing process. We could do multiple samples with different surfaces such as asphalt, concrete, tar/gravel, etc. We can take the samples of material and a weight of some sort and drag it behind a vehicle at a predetermined speed/set of speeds, for a nominal distance...

What do you guys think? Is there interest in doing this? Do you have some gear that you'd be willing to donate to the cause? Perhaps we could even lobby some of the online retailers to see if they are willing to donate returned/defective merchandise to the cause (i.e. New Enough, Motorcycle Superstore, etc)....

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

'd suggest a blet sander with several different low grade belts. The low grade belts don't always use things like silicon or aluminum oxide, but often regular sand glued to the belt. Gives you "precise" speed control, as well as the ability to provide as much pressure as require, and would allow you to use cheap thermo resistors to sample the heat generated. Note that each thermo resistor will probably be destroyed as the material wears through and the resistor hits the belt.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Considerations for testing

http://roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Sounds like an interesting test. The only thing I would say is to make sure you have a certain amount of pressure over the top of whatever sample you're using, to simulate the weight of the rider it's supposed to be protecting. Other than that, good luck! Unfortunately I don't have any spare gear though, so this is all I can help with.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Whether polyester materials melt into skin is not in dispute. Whether we can recreate the conditions that allow us to determine the causality is the crux of the matter.

I look forward to your results.

You may wish to fold over the materials and add X pounds of force to the sample to add variates.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Alright guys, I'm willing to take one for the team.

If you guys send me the gear and cash monies, I will go out and spend the day falling down in a street setting. I will and provide video and written data for as many scenarios as I can think of.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NDLESK1N View Post
Alright guys, I'm willing to take one for the team.

If you guys send me the gear and cash monies, I will go out and spend the day falling down in a street setting. I will and provide video and written data for as many scenarios as I can think of.
THAT IS AWESOME.

On second thought...hmmmm...stand by on that one....

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
IIRC Roadcrafter did tests some years ago to compare various materials.

They made a simple rig consisting of a hinged frame attached to the back of a pickup truck.

They attached bags made of various materials to it, and filled them with flour (or flour plus sand, don't remember... the point was that the bags were heavy enough to provide realistic force).

The truck was driven at some reasonable speed, and the frame dropped down so the bag impacted the road.

The distance before failure was what they used to compare the materials.

FWIW, I think what needs to be done for any test is to take into account the entire system, not just the material of the outer layer.

I've got a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with shoulder, back and elbow/forearm protection. On the shoulders and elbows, there armor has a hard plastic shell plus padding. So in the scenario where you go down and the armor takes the brunt of the abrasion, what happens to the outer shell is irrelevant provided the armor stays intact and in place.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I've got a Fieldsheer mesh jacket with shoulder, back and elbow/forearm protection. On the shoulders and elbows, there armor has a hard plastic shell plus padding. So in the scenario where you go down and the armor takes the brunt of the abrasion, what happens to the outer shell is irrelevant provided the armor stays intact and in place.
This.

You ride with quality gear, and construction material relevancy declines rapidly.

You ride naked under a rain slicker, and you get what's coming to you.

Common sense seems hard to come by these days.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote