ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
eyeheartny
ninjette.org member

Name: N

Motorcycle(s): None yet!

Gear for wide shoulders/narrow waist/long torso?

I'm 6'2", 205lbs, wear a 42L in a suit jacket, and have to get all my shirts tailored in at the waist, even on athletic/slim fit ones. I have wide shoulders and long arms. I'm a new rider looking for commuting gear (I'll be riding every day starting in September). I thought about an Aerostich, but I live in San Diego and when I tried on the tester suit I got through them it was blazing hot within minutes. I also would prefer not to pay 1200 (with alterations)...but that's a different conversation.

Today in the mail I got a Rev'it Turbine jacket (on closeout from Motorcycle Superstore). Textile/mesh. Size 54 fit me perfectly in the shoulders but is gigantic in the waist, so much so that I can't cinch it down far enough. I know it's a short-cut jacket, but it was also way up above my hipbones. I don't think a 52 would work because it would be too tight in the shoulders.

So, here's what I need help with:
  1. Who makes gear that might fit guys with a body type like mine? I can't be the only one.
  2. Will I have to get a 3/4 length/touring jacket to fit my body? Will a jacket like that work on a sport bike? I'm planning on buying a Ninjette in the next month or so and am trying to get my gear in place first. I don't want it to fit awkwardly or be drooping.
  3. I'm concerned about armor placement-- if stuff doesn't fit snug, how can I keep the armor in place?

I'd appreciate advice, tips, etc! Thanks!

Old June 6th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Teiz do tailor work, but it is not cheap.
Ask them anyhow:

http://store.teizms.com/

The 3/4 jackets are designed for adventure riders because they isolate better from cold and rain, however, the front is too bulky for sport riding.

Too short jackets will leave your back's bottom and wrists naked during a slide-off.

Cortech and Firstgear produce long size gear even for full suits (one-piece).

Some gear allows three positions for protectors (elbows and knees).
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Scorpion also makes gear for tall riders. If you wear a 42L in a suit, you need a XLT (sleeve 35-37") in a jacket. Being 6'2" & 205 lbs, you will need LT pants( waist 34-35", inseam 36") Most pants zip to the jacket if the waist is slightly bigger than you like.

If you want snugger fitting gear I suggest something like individual pads or;

Bohn Bodyguard Adventure Fully Armored Pants
Forcefield Pro Pants with Sport Armor
Klim Tactical Pants
Forcefield Body Armour Pro Shirt
Icon Stryker Rig Field Body Armor
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
eyeheartny
ninjette.org member

Name: N

Motorcycle(s): None yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Scorpion also makes gear for tall riders. If you wear a 42L in a suit, you need a XLT (sleeve 35-37") in a jacket. Being 6'2" & 205 lbs, you will need LT pants( waist 34-35", inseam 36") Most pants zip to the jacket if the waist is slightly bigger than you like.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just for the sake of full options, do you know of other brands in a tall size?

Old June 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
... do you know of other brands in a tall size?
Sliders Kevlar Apparel
This gear is very nice. Sized for American sized riders, unlike the majority of other gear designed for smaller European riders. I've seen and tried on most of their gear. Most of the gear fit me nicely. Wasn't to keen on their jeans and khakis though. Just didn't fit me in the crotch right. Their store (Competition Accessories) is about 30 minutes away from me.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 R6

Try RS Taichi

I'm not as tall as you, but built very similar. All my height is in my torso and I have short arms and legs. Couple that with a 40" chest and a 31" waist and it makes finding gear let alone a suit very hard. Taichi fits me better than anything. I guess Japanese people are built like me.