ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 8th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #1
LumaNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250r

Some fun stuff found in oil screen

I'm a semi-new owner of a 2006 ninja 250r, and tried to change the oil today. This my first oil change on this bike (or any bike). I followed the instructions on this forum, and everything seemed good until I cleaned the oil screen- there were a few small, magnetic, metal shavings (like less than eight, all smaller than a pepper seed but obviously larger than the screen mesh). Also, some sort of gray rubber gasket or o-ring- hard to tell because it's torn up, but it seems like it originally had at least two "corners" on it.

I didn't want to leave the bike oil-less, so I put everything back together with new oil, filter, o-rings, washers etc. So:

Are these metal flakes something to worry about?
Where did this rubber thing come from?

Some bike facts:
-Didn't really come with any service history, seems to be totally stock, 7k miles
-I've had it for several months but didn't do any overwintering prep on it
-I've only ridden it a few times- it's my first bike and I didn't really get the hang of it before winter. Seemed fine at the time, no weird sounds (then again I wouldn't necessarily know what's weird)
-I did have to drill out the gas cap (super stuck), but I'm pretty sure no shavings got into the tank or anything.
-I didn't find anything in the oil filter (which I replaced), just the oil screen.

Here's what we're working with:
IMG_20180708_111220.jpg
Thanks for looking!
LumaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The rubber thing looks like the oil filter gasket. Not sure about the metal thing but it looks like a piece of safety wire.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2018, 07:19 PM   #3
LumaNinja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
The rubber thing looks like the oil filter gasket. Not sure about the metal thing but it looks like a piece of safety wire.
Are you talking about the wire-looking thing on the bottom? It's actually rubber or silicone or something- that's the gasket-type thing that I found caught in the oil screen. The two bends you can see on the right seem to be intentional... But again, it's all torn up so hard to say.
LumaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2018, 10:01 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Lookin funky... no clue what that is, at least the screen got it