ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Sizing, Experience with AGV, Teknic, or Cortech Gloves

Looking for a new pair of gloves, my main concerns are thicker, or more protection in the palms. After seeing how a slide on only a few feet of asphalt for less than a second wore right through the palm of my A* Alloy gloves I'm nervous about another slide on asphalt and the damage it might do to my hands.

I've narrowed it down to these 3:

Cortech Vice Gloves - These are in the price range I'm mainly looking at; a little extra padding in the palms, very comfortable lining, a little more wrist protection than my A* Alloy gloves.

Teknic Lightning Gloves - A bit out of my price range but given the added protection of a gauntlet, the Knox sliders on the palm, add'l kevlar in palm and still for under $100, it seems like a lot of protection for the money that I'll try and squeeze the money out of my significant other to get them. These are really my front-runner, the Cortechs are my back-up choice assuming my wife just won't give in to the pricier gloves. I've already tried the "isn't my safety worth it" approach and she was still a bit hesitant.

AGV SPort SP7 Gloves - not quite the protection of the Teknic, but more than the Cortech's and the benefit of a full gauntlet, price point is right in the middle. Although, I'd probably just look to spend the extra $10 on the Teknic unless AGV is just known for higher build quality and durability. I couldn't find any user reviews for this thing.

The help I'm looking for is to see if anyone has any experience with A* gloves and either AGV Sport, Cortech, or Teknic gloves. Doesn't have to specifically be either of these models (although that would be great if you do have personal experience with either of these), but I'm generally wanting to know how the sizing went from the A*'s to either a AGV, Cortech, or Teknic glove. For my A*'s I was at the high end of the Medium range and overlapped into the Large but I felt the snugger fit would be better but I really didn't care for it and wished I'd gone w/the Large. If you've had A*'s and switched to AGV, Cortech, or Teknic (or vice-versa) how was the sizing, did you stay in the same size or did you go up or down a size?

I'm just having a hard time understanding the "how to measure" guides for gloves; the guidelines have my sizes all over the place. I'm a L borderline XL according the Cortech guide; according to Teknic's guide (measuring the widest part of your palm) I'm at an XL. For my A*'s, I was in the upper M range overlapping into the L range and probably should've gotten a L.

Also, if you do have (or had) either of these specific models, regardless of any past glove experience, please let me know your impressions, build quality, durability, comfort, etc. Reviews for both gloves are pretty limited.

And for you "go try them on" folks, I can't. I've got a Cycle Gear in town and I've already been there, they have the Bilt and Sedici in-house brand, and then a few A* models, and then a bunch of winter gloves; selection was very limited. All the other places cater to cruiser or HD crowd with the fingerless gloves.

Thanks

Last futzed with by reaubideux; June 1st, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My Cortech gloves started opening at the fingertips and my Parrot SK4000 remote managed to rip off one of the vent ports, so I'm going with a different brand next time. Granted, they are three years old now, but the pavement is going to be a lot worse then a few years of on/off wear and I want something that can stand up to that at least! That said, mine were way cheaper and smaller than what you seem to be looking at, so those may do a lot better.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #3
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Just ordered the Cortech Adrenaline gloves from MotorcycleGear.com. They have them on closeout for $79 (+S&H) versus $108 (w/free S&H) at the other bigger online stores: Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore, etc. Final w/S&H was just under $90 so I still saved $18. These seemed to offer a good compromise of the Cortech Vice gloves and the Teknic Lightning gloves in terms of getting protection of a gauntlet, improved palm protection over my original A*'s, but not quite as good as the Knox armor on the Teknic gloves. The Adrenaline gloves seemed to have good reviews all around so I feel confident I'll be happy with them.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

They look nice! I wouldn't be able to check my watch with them on, which makes me wonder why no one makes a "watch slot" or built-in clock on their gauntlet-style gloves.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

For $90, you could have gotten some nicer gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...w-sport-gloves

or for $100 a really nice glove: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-dragon-gloves

I personally prefer Dainese gloves/gear. More expensive, but the comfort, fitment, style, and protection is just amazing.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

What's your experience w/the Willow gloves? I can't find any product pages w/any reviews on them.

I've heard lots of good things about Dainese but they're just waaaaay out of my price range for the ones offering the features I was looking for.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I dont have any agv gloves but agv makes quality gear.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Good protective gloves aren't cheap. No piece of protective gear takes as much stress as a glove does in a hands down crash (the majority). You tempted fate once, you were down in a cheaper pair of gloves which failed. Been there, done that. You got damned lucky. Spend a bit more and get serious protection which will last you. Time to step up to the plate...

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3095

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6962

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=5758

Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:31 AM   #9
zem
Matress

Name: Sebastian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 04 Ninja 250

I got the Teknic Lightning II gloves. I got skinny hands and the large fits me well, no break in needed. The fingers run a little bit long but it doesn't bother me. Haven't crashed with them yet but those knox sliders would/will come in very handy. Don't really have any ventilation but has not been a problem in the Phoenix heat.

Here are a couple pics <---

Oh just saw you got the Cortechs.... dooiiih oh i just love all these smilies. Let us know how they hold up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6185.jpg (92.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6186.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)

Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #10
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks for the pics, zem. If I get the Cortech's and just don't like them then I may push again for those Teknics.

Moldbuster, if I had the money I'd be all over those Knox or HELD gloves. If all I was spending money on was gloves then the those wouldn't be a problem but with a budget on repairs, and even with some fellow Ninjette members hooking me up on replacement parts I've still got a budget to stick to and most of it still went to the gloves.