ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

A solution to the "cager" problem is only 5 years away?

I think most people on here are aware of Google's testing of self-driving cars. Well according to google, they want their self-driving car to be accessible to the average joe in only five years time! Imagine how much safer a computer driver with 360 degree scanning would be for us two wheel folk. If google can really hit their estimation, we could see majority idiot free driving in as little as 10-15 years!
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I doubt this will happen even in the next 15 years, nevermind 5.

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

unless it an actual terminator driving,
i think there will still be a lot of old cars on the road that won't be retrofitted...

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

As much as my GPS is off sometimes I would hate for it to think there is a magical street in my lane.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

To Err is human, to really screw things up requires a computer! Humans make mistakes, humans make computers, do the math!

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

i will always have a cage and drive it

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
bbonds007
The Bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I doubt this will happen even in the next 15 years, nevermind 5.
I think it could, especially if a government gets behind it. Pretty much eliminates the DUI and driving-while-distracted epidemic that seems to be happening in every other car. Will it be perfect? No. Will every car have it in 15 years? No. But I think 10 years of adoption in most new cars should give it the majority.

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Google has done over 300,000 accident free miles.

When I was a kid people liked to just drive around for fun. I guess it's not fun anymore so we need cars to drive themselves.

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
We don't need self driving cars, what we need is mandated manual transmission cars. If people actually have to spend half a second thinking about driving they will be more aware, we do not want them less aware

Actually what needs to be invented is a car that requires you to use both hands and both legs to operate. Text and die mother****ers
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #10
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Text and die mother****ers

crazy penalties are what we really need.

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Crazy penalties are what we already have
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds007 View Post
I think it could, especially if a government gets behind it. Pretty much eliminates the DUI and driving-while-distracted epidemic that seems to be happening in every other car. ....
This will apply to bikes as well, especially if a government gets behind it.
Pretty much eliminates the DUI, riding-while-distracted, running wide in turns, getting target fixation, falling on wet streets and....... having fun.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #13
bbonds007
The Bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
This will apply to bikes as well, especially if a government gets behind it.
Pretty much eliminates the DUI, riding-while-distracted, running wide in turns, getting target fixation, falling on wet streets and....... having fun.
Why the sarcasm?

Anyways its not like these cars force you to use the auto feature, it can be turned off at any time if you want to drive for fun or prefer to have control. Although in my opinion, if you really want to have "fun", you should take it to the track. This is not designed for people who like to drive, it is designed for 90% of America who think driving is just a way to get from point A to B and texting, talking, applying their makeup, etc while getting there is ok.

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

all cages should be terminated.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Nah what needs to happen is less of the "oh you can use gas pedal and stop for signs here is your license" Seriously though its so easy for people to get a license to drive its crazy. I'm all for freedom or whatever but they need to assess people better. Everyday I drive people don't use on ramps to get up to speed=traffic jams, they don't know how to merge=traffic and accident, they don't check their blindspots=accident, they are screwing around on their phones=accident, on and on...and for shits and giggles so many people don't even know what the continuous lane sign is.

Some people just don't need to drive IMO, this may be a good solution for those people, although I don't trust computers much. They can glitch and it can glitch in the worst possible way. But, I'm sure some of those appliance drivers will like this idea after all a car to them is an appliance to get them from A to B. In some ways I can get behind them no longer driving but just being ferried about.

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

A self-driving car from Google huh? So enter in an address and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button and hope you get there. Meanwhile, during the whole trip, Google will be flashing you ads on the side windows.

Teleportation is the future and I hope it makes those cool sounds just like in Star Trek.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

People blame equipment as being the reason that it broke or the reason for it breaking. I see the cagers using the excuse of oh sorry I did not see you and changing it up to, oh sorry, my car did not see you, it's not my fault!

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

imagine being behind 2 lanes of heavy traffic and you just lane split through them all...the cars on ur left detect you so they swerve left..the ones on the right detect you aswell and they swerve right and you just zoom on through.

seems like win to me.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
imagine being behind 2 lanes of heavy traffic and you just lane split through them all...the cars on ur left detect you so they swerve left..the ones on the right detect you aswell and they swerve right and you just zoom on through.

seems like win to me.
Sure, if you put it that way. They are already taking the cars and removing the human error portion out of them today, look at the cars that have the little black boxes in them. The insurance companies love them because they use them in the cars your teenagers drive and it reports thier driving habits to the insurance and the parents, good habits and bad ones alike.

Soon it will be in every car and you can be doing 100 mph down the freeway and that little box is telling the cop up ahead that your screwing up, when you see him, you will slow down but he already knows what you did and where you are, he's just waiting for you to get there to give you the ticket.

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #20
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green Machine View Post
Sure, if you put it that way. They are already taking the cars and removing the human error portion out of them today, look at the cars that have the little black boxes in them. The insurance companies love them because they use them in the cars your teenagers drive and it reports thier driving habits to the insurance and the parents, good habits and bad ones alike.
See those little insurance monitor things are a POS too. Its not really showing how safe they are driving. Its not monitoring if they are maintaining their lane, texting/fooling around with their phone, doing make up, using proper signals, creating road hazards, nearly hitting others from negligence, or just generally being a dumbass. People going a little over the speed limit doesn't bother me, people who can't drive properly or are just screwing around do.

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #21
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
See those little insurance monitor things are a POS too. Its not really showing how safe they are driving. Its not monitoring if they are maintaining their lane, texting/fooling around with their phone, doing make up, using proper signals, creating road hazards, nearly hitting others from negligence, or just generally being a dumbass. People going a little over the speed limit doesn't bother me, people who can't drive properly or are just screwing around do.
Exactly. We dont need cars that drive themselves, we just need people that pay attention and give a damn.

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
It does tell if you floor it at every light and if you consistently speed
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #23
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Its funny you post this today, because they just passed a law in california

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/i...nia/index.html

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #24
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Last i heard you can get the black boxes taken out. the vehicle is your property so you can do whatever the fck you want with it and unless theres somethin new, insurance cant do **** about you removing it.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #25
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
It does tell if you floor it at every light and if you consistently speed
Well yeah of course but that's about all it does and that to me is not a good enough meter to judge a persons driving. Flagrant speeder? understand they aren't being as safe as they could; and those triple digit speeders weaving through heavy traffic? yeah not cool. Inattentive driver? Usually someone gets bad situation or ends with an accident if the person can't avoid them.

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Well yeah of course but that's about all it does and that to me is not a good enough meter to judge a persons driving. Flagrant speeder? understand they aren't being as safe as they could; and those triple digit speeders weaving through heavy traffic? yeah not cool. Inattentive driver? Usually someone gets bad situation or ends with an accident if the person can't avoid them.
Would you like an insurance app that monitors incoming and outgoing messages at speeds over 10mph?
AFM #676

Old September 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #27
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Would you like an insurance app that monitors incoming and outgoing messages at speeds over 10mph?
What do you mean? like texts? Not a fan of people reading my stuff, one of the reasons I have almost no apps on my phone (I just got a smartphone this year too the amount of crap on these things is unreal). If there was a 100% guarantee they wouldn't read my incoming messages then I wouldn't really care. Is this part of that no texting pledge thing that's going on?

Old September 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #28
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

All free will and income should be given up to the government because "they" know best how to apply it. We are only humans who make mistakes, we shouldn't be allowed choices.

Old September 26th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #29
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
What do you mean? like texts? Not a fan of people reading my stuff, one of the reasons I have almost no apps on my phone (I just got a smartphone this year too the amount of crap on these things is unreal). If there was a 100% guarantee they wouldn't read my incoming messages then I wouldn't really care. Is this part of that no texting pledge thing that's going on?
What's so special about you that makes you think anybody would want to read your texts?

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #30
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds007 View Post
Why the sarcasm?

Anyways its not like these cars force you to use the auto feature, it can be turned off at any time if you want to drive for fun or prefer to have control. Although in my opinion, if you really want to have "fun", you should take it to the track. This is not designed for people who like to drive, it is designed for 90% of America who think driving is just a way to get from point A to B and texting, talking, applying their makeup, etc while getting there is ok.
Sorry, no sarcasm meant.

The future trend of all private transportation (including two-wheels') is all electric-all robotic.

Note that I say all.
It can't be a feature of choice; it will not work that way.
What your robot car is going to decide to do when a drunk driver speeds towards it?

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #31
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
What your robot car is going to decide to do when a drunk driver speeds towards it?
the logic of the robotic car can be make to do anything in a milisecond.
whether the reaction time of vehicle is good enough is an important factor.

as for reaction it could try to swerve and evade if theres room/time or deploy some kind of impact absorbing device if it can't avoid the accident.

if it programmed right it will be able to drive way better than a person ever could.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #32
MrTsquared903
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
We don't need self driving cars, what we need is mandated manual transmission cars. If people actually have to spend half a second thinking about driving they will be more aware, we do not want them less aware
+1
MrTsquared903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Impossible to program for all factors and conditions. Some things are just best left up to humans. For better or worse....

In order for this to work, it must be off the ground or roads/lanes with dividers specifically built for this and a lot of the more complex issues will go away.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I would like to see the routes and speeds of the 300,000 logged miles of the google autopilot car. I would venture to say there are some impracticalities in there somewhere. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Old September 26th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

The human brain has been powerful enough to sort all kind of traffic situations for more than a century.
However, most brains are strongly distracted nowadays.
Besides, combining the convenience of private transportation with independence from the driving task has always been an appealing idea (rich people employ drivers).

It is only now, with computers, sensors and GPS, that the idea seems feasible.
It also applies to self-stabilizing motorcycles.

Learn more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...re_integration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driverless_car

http://litmotors.com/c-1/

Old September 26th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #36
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Most people can't afford to buy a new car these days...Nevermind how much this Google car wil cost.

Quote:
Google's fleet of vehicles started with Toyota Prius Hybrids and later added the Lexus RX450h, a crossover SUV, to test on different terrain.

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #37
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:

Actually what needs to be invented is a car that requires you to use both hands and both legs to operate. Text and die mother****ers
this is spot on..i think this is the big issue..give people some "convenience" and it runs to their head...and then because they can, they start eating..putting on makeup..texting..etc.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #38
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I would agree with what jiggles in this case but even with all 4 limbs engaged, even that isn't addressing the main issue.... you can't fix stupid.

Old September 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #39
lgk

removing a persons responsibility is never a good idea though...
you can make a machine do anything/everything, but then people won't know how to do anything...

Old September 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #40
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
removing a persons responsibility is never a good idea though...
you can make a machine do anything/everything, but then people won't know how to do anything...
not like they know how to drive right now anyways
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote