Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #1
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250r

Chicago to New Orleans

Hi Everyone,

I am considering driving my 07 250r from Chicago to New Orleans pretty soon. I am a bit nervous about putting the bike through 1000 miles in a couple of days. I have ridden pretty far on my bike ( several trips 400 miles plus ) on day rides, and one trip to southern Indiana camping for a couple of days. I know I can handle it, but a break down would be a disaster. Any thoughts?
gbrauck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The bike is definitely up for it, should be a fun ride! A number of folks have asked similar questions, and I've put a few links below to those related threads. I'm also going to move this to General from Ride Reports; Ride Reports is to write up how things went afterwards.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16275
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39460
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17799
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19857
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23175

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Don't worry about the break downs as much as the weather. It's flood time along the Mississippi.

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I live about an hour and a half from the MS river. If you are coming down I-55, you should be fine. Honestly though, when are you planning on taking this trip? March-May is not really a good time to be planning anything weather sensitive in Dixie Alley.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why New Orleans?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

Why N.O.

I am an artist http://www.ghangebrauck.com/index.html and I am planning on visiting the gallery I am showing in. I have paintings in a gallery on Royal St. in the French Quarter. I ride the hell out of my little Ninja, and I thought it would be an excuse just to make the trip more interesting.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Wow, I'm usually not into art and I find your carnival/mardi gras themed paintings beautiful. Maybe that's just the coonass in me.

Enjoy your ride. Be aware that New Orleans rides the fine line between tropical and sub-tropical. A month ago, I was in Hammond, LA, just on the other side of the lake from NO, and it was breaking 90F with 70% humidity easily.

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #7
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

Goin' where the weather suits my clothes

Yeah, I am thinking that my leathers will be pretty warm. I will wear them regardless, and maybe I will wear the bicycle shorts underneath. I will try and ride very early to be more comfortable. Thanks for the compliment on the art. The masked women are my new stuff. I am having difficulty selling in this awful economy though....

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
New Orleans rocks. I rode from Boston to New Orleans about this time of the year and it was sooooo hot (I met a girl from Boston while I was there). I had to stop at grocery stores and sit in the frozen food to cold down. Once your in Nawlins you'll be fine. High crime there so beware of your bike and anything else you want to keep.

Your art work is great. I didn't see any motorcycle art. What gives? You need to get to the races and do some painting from there.

Good luck with your ride and stay safe.

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Yeh, it's rough. I know some people who love this kind of art though. I'm sure there is some money in NO, Baton Rouge and/or Lafayette that would kill for this kind of stuff. Add some fleur-de-lis in some of your future paintings in this vein and they will be all the more popular.

A lot of people don't fully appreciate the power that South Louisiana culture has on peoples' wallets. Don't spend too much time there, you might fall in love with it :P

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
New Orleans rocks. I rode from Boston to New Orleans about this time of the year and it was sooooo hot (I met a girl from Boston while I was there). I had to stop at grocery stores and sit in the frozen food to cold down. Once your in Nawlins you'll be fine. High crime there so beware of your bike and anything else you want to keep.

Your art work is great. I didn't see any motorcycle art. What gives? You need to get to the races and do some painting from there.

Good luck with your ride and stay safe.
I forgot to mention this as well. Crime in New Orleans is insane. Be EXTREMELY careful. Don't trust anyone. Don't look/travel down any alleys. Being from Louisiana and having a large part of my family there, I'm completely disillusioned about the "magic" of New Orleans. IMHO it is a !@#$hole to be avoided if possible. If not, make sure you can put your vehicle in a secure parking garage.

Other than that, the culture and food is cool...during the day.

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #11
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

in love with N.O.

I was there delivering my art ( right after Mardi Gras ) and I was amazed at my actual experience vs what I thought it would be. N.O. is a real different place than I expected. I was in New York for a year ( NYC ) and it reminded me a lot of NYC culturally. Needless to say, I can see myself living near there maybe sooner than later. Part of the reason I wish to take this trip is to confirm ( or to not confirm ) my first experience there. I may already have been hooked on the Big Easy.

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #12
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

Imho?

I have read the very same things you are telling me. Are there places within a few hours ride you would recommend which are safer in terms of ( after dark )? PS What is IMHO?

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Liber
ninjette.org sage

IMHO = In my humble opinion

A ton of people live on the North side of the lake and commute into NO every day, as do people from many of the surrounding towns.

North of the lake are the "Florida" parishes, parishes that were traded between Great Britain and Spain as a part of Florida, and were not part of the Louisiana Purchase. There are some beautiful plantations up there. It's mostly timbered countryside with some touches of tropical suburbia in Covington and Hammond.

Southwest of NO is heavily Cajun. Great food. Great culture, but quite a bit poorer than North of the lake.

Heading up toward Baton Rouge is a town called Gonzales. I have several cousins that live there, and it's cool if you are in your 20's/30's as it's almost halfway between Baton Rouge and NO. Baton Rouge is growing like wildfire, but it's a business/University city and comes with all the associated pros and cons. It's fun, but I'm an LSU apostate, so I'm not welcome there.

Lafayette is probably my favorite city in South Louisiana. It's not too big and it's not too small. It's about 2 hours from NO depending on how you want to drive. It's overflowing with Acadian culture. Amazing food, Fun/Nice People, low cost of living, beautiful women...i could go on and on. I'm biased.

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #14
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

thanks liber

Hey Liber,

Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate your local expertise.

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Liber
ninjette.org sage

No problem. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. It's a different world down there, one I will more than likely be re-joining in the future.

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #16
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

relax dude, riders use these bikes in ironbutt rallies, make sure you have your paperwork (AAA) and tool kit w/tire kit and it'll be an adventure you won't forget pal.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #17
gbrauck
ninjette.org newbie

thanks coondog

I am not sure when I am going, but I am definitely looking forward to the experience. An artist needs to recharge his artistic batteries now and then. To take yourself on an adventure is a great way of doing this. I have been looking at buccaneer state park on the gulf coast. It looks like a good place to camp... The reviews are good. Some salt air will be good for my soul...

Old May 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #18
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
IMHO = In my humble opinion

Lafayette is probably my favorite city in South Louisiana. It's not too big and it's not too small. It's about 2 hours from NO depending on how you want to drive. It's overflowing with Acadian culture. Amazing food, Fun/Nice People, low cost of living, beautiful women...i could go on and on. I'm biased.
and Freddie Spencer is from there!

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:14 AM   #19
IndyTwoFiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Blue Ninja 250r

I lived in NO for 4 years...I was stationed at Belle chasse Air station...spent a year living in LaPlace, and then moved on base.

I miss raising canes chicken fingers...just saying.
IndyTwoFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTwoFiddy View Post
I lived in NO for 4 years...I was stationed at Belle chasse Air station...spent a year living in LaPlace, and then moved on base.

I miss raising canes chicken fingers...just saying.
They're starting to be more common out of Louisiana. The first one I ever saw out of state was in Charlottesville, VA...of all places. I think theres one opening in Hot Springs, AR. I doubt it will be long before they make it up your way.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM   #21
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

If you are from around chicago, we should go riding sometime. I'm from Valpo (lived in Alsip for a long while)
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote