ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Made it into Web Bike World

Not really a big deal, but I sent this into the editor and he published it..ha ha

See the first comment, after the following link:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...chain-cleaner/

From "S.M." (9/09): "I too got tired of using a scrub brush, etc. to clean my bike's chain. I had an unused sprayer (similar to this SureSpray) that I decided to try. I put a gallon of mineral spirits in the sprayer and pumped up the sprayer. Since mineral spirits is petroleum based, it doesn't hurt the rubber O-rings.

With the bike supported on a rear bike stand, hold a cleaning/shop towel under a section of the chain and spray the chain. You can use the towel to clean that section and proceed to the next section of chain. Once the chain is relatively clean, I use a small air compressor (2 gallon) to blow dry the chain. Next apply Maxima Chain wax per the manufacturer's instructions.

Since I started using the mineral spirits/sprayer, I have cleaned the chain twice and still have 2 or 3 cleanings left in the sprayer."
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Nice idea. Haven`t thought of Mineral Spirits---a damn sight cheaper than WD-40 (Bulk Variety. The aerosol has a substance in the propellant harmful to O rings) I have been using a spray bottle. Thanks for the tip. I`ll be using Mineral Spirits to clean my bicycle chains as well. I have got to be cleaning at least two chains a day in my shop--not to mention parts. Unbelievable how a great idea can be right in front of you and you don`t see it. Congrats on being published.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
g21-30

I hope you're waxing the bicycle chains! Less mess! Thanks

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
I hope you're waxing the bicycle chains! Less mess! Thanks
Absolutely. I use Finish Line Dry on the bicycles and Maxxima Chain Wax on the MC.

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #5
g21-30

Little more time consuming, but I meant to break the bicycle chain and using a freewheel container (metal can) the freewheels come packaged in, place the chain in it, along with mineral spirits. Let it soak, until clean. Hang it up and air dry or speed it up with compressed air.

Buy bulk 1 lb blocks of wax at the grocery store and using a double boiler, put the block of wax in and heat it and the water, until the wax melts. Lower the chain into the hot wax with a clothes hanger. Let soak for a few minutes and hang to dry. Replace the chain. Reuse the wax a few times....save more money.

Old October 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I use finish line on my chain also. But I don't have any O rings to worry about.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I havent cleaned the one chain in the 4 years of having the bike. Atleast it gets lubed often....... I suck!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I havent cleaned the one chain in the 4 years of having the bike. Atleast it gets lubed often....... I suck!
O for shame . GO and hang your head in the corner
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Sailariel

If I break the bicycle chain, I usually put it into an emty soda bottle with a 50-50 mixture of Simple Green and water. I shake the bottle and change the liquid until the chain is clean. I then dry it with a compressor and lube it with Finish Line. If I only want to clean the chain while it is on the bike, I will go with the Mineral Spirits. Thanks for the great idea.