ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Name: AAA

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Squeal sound

Hi everyone,

I picked up my new Ninja about three weeks ago. I am a novice motorcyclist.

A little history on the bike. It's got 150 miles on it now. (History ). I have dropped it already which is very painful to admit. I want to mention this because it might be what's causing the problem. The way it went down is that I was in the lot after doing some riding, and noticed I had come to a stop in third gear. So I started rocking it back and forth to get it into first and I just lost it. The damage is mostly cosmetic (hard to spot at from ten steps away). I picked it up as soon as it went down.

Anyway, for the first time since I have been riding, I decided to go on a HIGH SPEED ROAD. (40 mph speed limit ) This was the first time I was a sustained 40mph speed, and I suddenly hear a squealing sound from the bike. Now this is what I tried while the sound was happening:

1) Pull the clutch in and rev the engine.
2) Use front and rear brakes.
3) Use horn, high beam.
4) Use clutch and change gear.

The only thing that made a difference was the speed. As I slowed down, the sound down. When I went back down 15 mph the sound went away and did not come back when I hit 40 mph (not immediately that is). When this happened, I made a U-turn and started going towardes home. Again, after riding at 40mph for like 5 minutes, I start hearing this sound again. It is quite unnerving.

Now, as for the sound, this is the best I can do in terms of showing you what it sounded like. My helmet muffled it up, and I didn't want to raise my visor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29c_4SKK6Yw

Can damage from a nospeed drop cause this to happen? I should mention that this bike is parked outside, and it's been raining frequently. I have been riding for 8 or so miles every day since I bought the bike, save for a few days. Anyway, any hints are welcome.

EDIT: I just went outside to look at the bike again. I started up the bike and noticed that the gauge cluster didn't have any lighting. The oil light and the neutral light etc all worked, but the backlighting in the gauge cluster was off. Is it an electrical problem?
EL_Morono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Check your chain. That can cause some sounds if it's to tight.

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

If it's coming from the front wheel, this might be relevant. If it varies only with the speed of the bike, and not the engine speed or anything else, it's a good bet. But I'd also check to make sure the chain isn't too tight as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #4
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If it's coming from the front wheel, this might be relevant. If it varies only with the speed of the bike, and not the engine speed or anything else, it's a good bet. But I'd also check to make sure the chain isn't too tight as well.
Good call! I forgot about that.

Old May 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #5
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

EDIT: I just went outside to look at the bike again. I started up the bike and noticed (since it is dark out now) that the gauge cluster didn't have any lighting. The oil light and the neutral light etc all worked, but the backlighting in the gauge cluster was off. Is it an electrical problem? Was I hearing the alternator?

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

You sure this isn't what you're hearing?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73446
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #7
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
You sure this isn't what you're hearing?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73446
I don't think so. I have heard my bike make that gas tank sound and it's different.

I think the gauge lights not working is a big hint. I don't know if a 0mph drop can cause some problems like that by loosening wires or something. I just hope it's something the warranty covers.

My God this is frustrating. I bought a new bike specifically to focus on riding and not dealing with these issues. Maybe I should have just bought a used one.

Last futzed with by EL_Morono; May 15th, 2011 at 11:37 PM.

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #8
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Check your fuses for the gauge cluster lighting.
Is there rust on the brake rotors??
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #9
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Check your fuses for the gauge cluster lighting.
Is there rust on the brake rotors??
I'll check the gauge cluster fuses today after it stops raining.

As for rust, there was a tiny bit on it because I had not used the bike for around 34 hours. But that goes away as soon as you ride around a little bit.

What worries me is that even if it is a fuse, what caused the fuse to blow in the first place. Where I live, the roads are mighty bumpy. Do you think that could somehow cause this to happen?

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #10
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Ok I checked the fuses and they look pretty much new. This means the lights in the tach/speedo/fuel are burned out.

When I dropped the motorcycle, one of the points of impact was the left handlebar. Do you think that "moved" the bulbs in the dash out of place or something?

I still don't know why those bulbs messing up would cause the alternator to scream. (I'm guessing it's the alternator). Has any of you had a bulb go out while riding around?

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #11
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

OK I went out again this morning to see if the bike will squeal again and it did. Every time I sustain a speed greater than 40 miles per hour for a few minutes, the loud squeal comes from the bike. It's so loud I can barely hear the engine sound.

On the way back home, the speedo light came back on all of a sudden. The gas and tach lights are still off.

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Leaving your bike exposed to the elements for extended periods of time can produced condensation in unseen areas of the bike. This can cause some problems with the eletricals if severe enough. My suggestion is get a cover to reduce damage from weathering. Get those gauges dried out and see what happens.
Even though the rust on the brake pads goes away after riding a little bit, the brake and rust dust are accumulating inside the caliper. If you have access to a air compressor, blow the brake dust out of the calipers and clean the rotors and calipers with some brake cleaner periodically. Depending on how you ride, your brake pads may glaze over and that may produce a squeal as well. However since you have very low miles on your bike, brakes issues may not be a factor unless you use the brakes excessively. Check them anyway just to rule them out.
The fact that the bike is making a noise at high speed (LOL, over 40mph) sounds like it might be normal engine sounds. If what you hear sounds like the video you referenced, it sounds like transmission whine, which is quite normal. The Ninja 250 has a transmission whine like no other bike and the quiet exhaust makes it even more noticeable. I'm willing to bet that if you get up to speeds above 50 mph, the wind noise will drown out everything. Just to be on the safe side also check your oil level.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #13
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Hi DaBlue1,

Thanks a lot for the checklist. I will check these out and update the thread.

The one thing about the sound I should mention is that it starts after I stay at speeds greater than 40 mph. That is, I do not hear it becoming louder and louder as I start from a standstill and reach 40mph + speeds. The sound starts suddenly and it's very very loud. It's almost like a scream, a high pitched scream. I might find some way to record it and put it up here.

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #14
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

There is one more thing to check that Alex alluded to and that is the speedo. Sometimes removing the speedo cable from both ends, lubing it and re-installing it can remove the squeal if the noise is coming from there. Also there is a seal on the speedo drive that can possibly get folded over and rub on the bearing spacer. You will have to take the wheel off to fix it. If your bike is under warranty, the dealer should be able to fix it if you have no means to lift the front of the bike.

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #15
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

I know this thread is old but I just had to mention that now somehow the sound has vanished. I have no idea where it went.

I think it's like those old Commodore 64 controllers. You leave them overnight and they fix themselves.

Old August 30th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #16
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

I'm going to necro my thread because apparently the sound has returned. I believe this is because winter is approaching and it's pretty cold in the early mornings.

Anyway, on the internet, "pics or it didn't happen" means I need to show you guys what the problem is. And since now I know how to cause it to happen, I captured it with a ghetto camera setup.

Here it is!

Link to original page on YouTube.

This video was taken at 5:30 AM. Bike was last used the day before during the morning so it had ample time to cool off.

You can only see the gauges in the video because I wanted to bring your attention to some things.

1) After the sound starts at 1:26 minute mark, I pull in the clutch and revv the engine. The sound doesn't change. (Yeah I know it's loud!)

2) Next, I hit the engine kill switch.

3) Next, I turn off the ignition.

The only thing that changes the sound is wheel speed. It didn't happen when I tried to replicate it a second time in the video. Of course, I might have totally missed something.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Oh and I know I'm not an experienced rider.

Old August 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Did you ever remove the speedo cable, inspect it and lube it? It sounds like the speedo cable.

Old August 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #18
EL_Morono
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Did you ever remove the speedo cable, inspect it and lube it? It sounds like the speedo cable.
I think I told the dealer to do it when I took it in for inspection but I guess they didn't do it. I'll call them, they probably have a list of what was done on the bike when I took it in for service.

Thanks!

Old December 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #19
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

did you ever find the source of the noise, i think ive heard something similar on occasion
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #20
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I've had all thise things happen to my bike, from the light blowing, all of them went at different times, and the speedo cable makes a resonating in the gauge cluster which above 35/40mph squeeks horribly. Taken it to the shop several times, they always do something and say its fixed but it never is. To diagnose the cluster, when it makes the noise tap the gauge firmly and if the pitch changes with the tap it's coming from there.

Read my blog on this site, and watch this video.

Noise at about 30 sec mark.

Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it sounds like the water boiling and shooting out the overflow cap to me, but it could also be the speedo cable

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #22
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Morono View Post
I'm going to necro my thread because apparently the sound has returned. I believe this is because winter is approaching and it's pretty cold in the early mornings.

Anyway, on the internet, "pics or it didn't happen" means I need to show you guys what the problem is. And since now I know how to cause it to happen, I captured it with a ghetto camera setup.

Here it is!

This video was taken at 5:30 AM. Bike was last used the day before during the morning so it had ample time to cool off.

You can only see the gauges in the video because I wanted to bring your attention to some things.

1) After the sound starts at 1:26 minute mark, I pull in the clutch and revv the engine. The sound doesn't change. (Yeah I know it's loud!)

2) Next, I hit the engine kill switch.

3) Next, I turn off the ignition.

The only thing that changes the sound is wheel speed. It didn't happen when I tried to replicate it a second time in the video. Of course, I might have totally missed something.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Oh and I know I'm not an experienced rider.

If you watch my video that's exactly the same sound as mine, i would bet any money it is the same thing, and given we've both had the problem with the lights going, it seems to me that it's a related fault. Next time try tapping the instrument cluster hard and see if the pitch changes with the tap.

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #23
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

What you were hearing was speedo cable squeal. If your bike speed sounded anything like the speedo in this video, it was probably your speedo cable and needs a good lubing or replacement.

The inner shaft is rubbing against the metal casing and eventually could brake if not fixed. You can remove it and inspect it. Just remember which end goes to the speedo and which goes to the gauge.

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
What you were hearing was speedo cable squeal. If your bike speed sounded anything like the speedo in this video, it was probably your speedo cable and needs a good lubing or replacement.

The inner shaft is rubbing against the metal casing and eventually could brake if not fixed. You can remove it and inspect it. Just remember which end goes to the speedo and which goes to the gauge.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #25
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

got it, lubed it and noise is gone

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #26
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I hate that mechanical speedo...if it's not doing this, it buzzes at certain rpms. Would have been so much better with a magnetic digi-speedo.
Oh well, we didnt get FI either.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #27
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I hate that mechanical speedo...if it's not doing this, it buzzes at certain rpms. Would have been so much better with a magnetic digi-speedo.
Oh well, we didnt get FI either.
yah i think ill get me a koso gauge some day

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #28
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

koso is nice, but tis espensive.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #29
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
got it, lubed it and noise is gone
cooooooool now the noise is back :-/

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #30
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

would it be ok to remove the speedo cable and drive around for just a lil to verify that it is what is making the noise

Old December 11th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #31
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
would it be ok to remove the speedo cable and drive around for just a lil to verify that it is what is making the noise
You've got the same problem as me, lubing the speedo cable will help maybe for a week then the problem will come back, it's not the speedo cable as much as the speedo cable causing a resonance in the gauge, tap the gauge hard when riding, you WILL find the pitch of the noise changes as you hit it.

You will also find after about half an hour of riding will meen the cable / gauge is warmed up enough not to make the noise, it's probably a thermo expansion / contraction / greese viscosity issue.

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #32
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
You've got the same problem as me, lubing the speedo cable will help maybe for a week then the problem will come back, it's not the speedo cable as much as the speedo cable causing a resonance in the gauge, tap the gauge hard when riding, you WILL find the pitch of the noise changes as you hit it.

You will also find after about half an hour of riding will meen the cable / gauge is warmed up enough not to make the noise, it's probably a thermo expansion / contraction / greese viscosity issue.
ahh that makes rly good sense too because it only happens when the weather is rly cold. so is this something i shouldnt wry about or something that rly cant be fixed. if its just a minor annoyance it doesnt rly bother me i just didnt wanna brk something.

although my dash lights keep goin out dnt know if its related :-/

Old December 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #33
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
ahh that makes rly good sense too because it only happens when the weather is rly cold. so is this something i shouldnt wry about or something that rly cant be fixed. if its just a minor annoyance it doesnt rly bother me i just didnt wanna brk something.

although my dash lights keep goin out dnt know if its related :-/
It's probably related as we both had the same problem, they keep replacing the bulbs in mine.

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I used to have a squeak that seemed to be effected by my speed. What fixed it was when the garage took the outer-most wheel-bearing caps off, completely removed the inner cap (and binned it) and then packed the inside area with grease before putting the outer cap back on. That was like a year ago now and haven't had so much as a squeak out of the bike since then.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #35
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I used to have a squeak that seemed to be effected by my speed. What fixed it was when the garage took the outer-most wheel-bearing caps off, completely removed the inner cap (and binned it) and then packed the inside area with grease before putting the outer cap back on. That was like a year ago now and haven't had so much as a squeak out of the bike since then.
They did that to mine, no joy

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #36
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
They did that to mine, no joy
You've had some bad luck with your ninjette. I've had a few issues:
* winter-startup issues
* recall for the down-sensor
* squeak
* Slightly seized up metal joints that sit under the rear suspension.

I totally love this bike though, so I find it hard to see flaws with it!

It's so pretty to look at. I often wonder outside at work to just look at it!

It has a perfect amount of power for me. Riding it still feels exciting even after a year of riding.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #37
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'd agree with you! I've had bad luck but I just see it as creases needing ironing out, i've had more problems then with the Hyundai i10 though! So it's not all bad, I asked them about my down sensor recall they said they'd look into it and get back to me..... I may take the cable off myself and ACF 50 it.

Old December 13th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #38
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

i love my ninja and so far at 5k miles this is the only prob ive encountered and if its just merely a noise and an inconvenience doesnt bother me