ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 13th, 2016, 06:48 AM   #1
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

broke roller off chain

hello all, thought I would share what I found on my stock non-ABS 2014 w/ 4.5k miles.
I had begun removing the fairings when I found this

here

Come to find this

So i'm replacing the chain and sprockets. Initial thoughts are perhaps a rock got in between a tooth and roller? The rust on the piece indicates it's been like this for at least a year/ 2k miles. The chain IMO felt junky very early on- tight and loose spots all over. Maybe even some red dust.
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The chain looks dry in the photo. Rollers are not sealed by the O-rings like the pins are, so lack of lube could have contributed to the failure. But still, it seems the roller probably had a manufacturing defect. Some chains have rollers that are bent around and have an unwelded seam. Motorcycle chains shouldn't be made that way, but some might be. Can you find unwelded seams on the other rollers?

It's hard to believe the sprockets need to be replaced after 4,500 miles, but maybe if they were run dry that whole time they have excessive wear.

What brand of chain is that (the original one)?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #3
pb3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
What brand of chain is that (the original one)?
yes, OEM/ stock.
i'm reconsidering my oiling routine. bike never see rain/ maybe washed 2-3 times a year. i've read i should be oiling every other tank of fuel?

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

That may be a good interval. My current favorite is Maxima Chain Wax, because it's less messy than oil, and stays put pretty well, but any decent lube you can keep on the chain, and that doesn't attack the O-rings is fine.

Old November 13th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It's a good thing you found the damage when you did. If you had kept riding like that it could have ruined the sprockets.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3 View Post
yes, OEM/ stock.
i'm reconsidering my oiling routine. bike never see rain/ maybe washed 2-3 times a year. i've read i should be oiling every other tank of fuel?
The manual says to lube it every 400mi and check the slack every 600mi. Addtionally, "Lubrication is necessary after riding through rain or on wet roads, or any time that the chain appears dry."

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3 View Post
......... So i'm replacing the chain and sprockets........
Sprockets may not need replacement.

Take a look at this:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133019
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I agree--replace the chain, not the the sprockets.

Old August 1st, 2017, 03:04 PM   #9
pb3
ninjette.org member

hello all, thought I would share what I found on my stock non-ABS 2014 w/ 4.5k miles.
I had begun removing the fairings when I found this
009a.JPG

here
011a_2.JPG

come to find this
001a_3.JPG

So i'm replacing the chain and sprockets. Initial thoughts are perhaps a rock got in between a tooth and roller? The rust on the piece indicates it's been like this for at least a year/ 2k miles. The chain IMO felt junky very early on- tight and loose spots all over. Maybe even some red dust.

Last futzed with by pb3; August 3rd, 2017 at 03:01 AM.

Old August 4th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #10
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Since you are replacing chain and sprockets, have you considered switching out to a smaller chain, like a 428 or a 415? I have the 415 and really like it, but there again it's track only and doesn't get a lot of dirt and road debris on it.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Rust would seem to mean the chain was not kept lubricated, and that could explain the broken roller.

Old August 4th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
A 428 chain actually has wider rollers than stock, so should actually be lighter and more durable.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
That may be a good interval. My current favorite is Maxima Chain Wax, because it's less messy than oil, and stays put pretty well, but any decent lube you can keep on the chain, and that doesn't attack the O-rings is fine.
I've always used engine oil. I got 18,000 miles out my O.E.M. chain on my 73' Kaw 500 triple with it. Right now I'm experimenting with CRC spray lithium grease. I spray it into a plastic cup and apply it with a disposable 1/2" brush. It's really watery until the carrier evaporates and the grease sticks like glue. No ca ca on my rear wheel and the lithium grease is water resistant. We'll see.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

From advice here, I'm now using DuPont Chainsaver. It's wax based, and has Teflon in it. I have both the spray and liquid. I have it on my motorcycle chains and my bicycle chain. I have a lot of experience with my bicycle chains and how far they go before needing lubrication, so it's a good test. There is noticeably less grit on the bicycle chain surface than when I use grease in solvent. Same on the motorcycle chains, compared to Maxima or PJ-1. I'll keep you posted.

Old August 4th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Ram Jet

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
From advice here, I'm now using DuPont Chainsaver. It's wax based, and has Teflon in it. I have both the spray and liquid. I have it on my motorcycle chains and my bicycle chain. I have a lot of experience with my bicycle chains and how far they go before needing lubrication, so it's a good test. There is noticeably less grit on the bicycle chain surface than when I use grease in solvent. Same on the motorcycle chains, compared to Maxima or PJ-1. I'll keep you posted.
I'll be anxious to hear your findings.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #16
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post

Bill
I have to give this stuff this a thumbs up. It doesn't fling off the chain like most lubes, and also dries so it doesn't attract dirt. Been using it for a few years now.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Same here on all counts. The big question I have now is whether it will last 600-800 miles between cleaning and lubing on my bicycle, like grease dissolved in Varsol does. I get something like 15,000 miles out of a chain by removing it, shaking it in a bottle with Varsol to clean it, letting it dry, and soaking it in the grease/Varsol mix again to re-lube it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 09:16 AM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I've been using DuPont Chainsaver for about six months now, both on my bicycle chains, and on my motorcycle chains. Previously, I used lithium based general purpose grease mixed with mineral spirits (AKA Varsol, paint thinner) on my bicycle chains. I applied it after a thorough cleaning in mineral spirits and drying, by putting some in a plastic bottle with the chain, shaking it vigorously for a while, hanging up the chain and letting it dry overnight.

Advantage of Chainsaver: It is less sticky than grease and doesn't get as much road grit in it. It still gets some though.

Disadvantage of Chainsaver: On my bicycle it lasts about 1/3 as long as grease. When I grease a chain, I can ride about 600 miles with no obvious signs of a problem, and I clean and re-grease. If I go over about 900 miles, it sometimes starts to squeak, indicating it's past due for service. When I use Chainsaver, I get squeaking at about 300 miles.

I accurately measure the bicycle chain each time I service it, and replace it when it gets over about 1/16" of increased length in one foot. With grease, that takes at least 15,000 miles, maybe more. I won't know how the Chainsaver does in that regard because I've gone back to grease.

I plan to stay with Chainsaver on my motorcycle chains because they stay cleaner that way, and most of the time I can just apply a new coat without having to solvent clean the chain. Also, it doesn't sling off and cake up under the front sprocket cover like grease or other chain lubes do.

Old January 10th, 2021, 11:48 PM   #19
abrahamsnc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Abraham

Motorcycle(s): yamaha mio 2012

Luckily you found the problem early, because I had experienced broken chains while riding a motorcycle, fortunately there was no vehicle behind me.
abrahamsnc is offline   Reply With Quote