ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 11th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250R

Thumbs down Gotta love our feathered friends

So since I joined this forum I figure I might as well share my crash story with anyone interested in it or that enjoys reading the tales. It was on my 09 ninja 250r that I had recently just started driving 2 months ago and about two weeks before the lay down. Heading home from a drive on the back roads literally on my street only 500 metres maximum away from my house a bird comes out of nowhere into my line of travel going 45-50 km/h. Me seeing the bird in the corner of my eye just before it would've hit me either in the chest/neck or helmet and being a beginner rider at the time I made the mistake of reacting to it in the wrong way. Instead of maneuvering the bike with my knees I ended up hitting the brakes like Im so used to doing in the car. As I activated both brakes I guess I jammed up the back because my back wheel began fishtailing first to the left then to the right where it finally started to lay down. The fairings had some damage which I touched up along with a broken front turn signal and a bent gear lever that I bent back into place. Gear wise I was wearing everything from protective footwear, gloves, helmet ofcourse and a Joe rocket Phoenix 11.0 jacket. They only protection I didn't have one were the protective pants and they sure wouldve made a hell of a difference shielding the knee compared to a denim pant. Almost two months of healing later and a few lessons learned I now know to wear protective pants if I enjoy the way my legs work and do not touch the brakes for birds. (That is unless you know how hard your applying them ofcourse and not locking them up.)
Ninjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjam View Post
........... and do not touch the brakes for birds. (That is unless you know how hard your applying them ofcourse and not locking them up.)
Welcome !!!

Some useful references for your future riding:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114555

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...3&postcount=24
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Hey appreciate it! Some great material too, thankyou very much friend.

Old July 11th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
New Brunswick, NJ? How big of a bird was it that you felt like it was a threat for you to slam on the brakes?!

My logic: If I can eat it in one sitting, I'm not going to try any evasive maneuvers.

Here are the typical size of birds where I live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHok9Dbxw34

Old July 11th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Nah New Brunswick is one of the provinces (states) in Canada.

I guess it probably wouldve been about 10 lbs so maybe big enough to crack a few ribs atleast. If I was thinking and didn't instinctively react like I did I would've let it hit me,

Old July 11th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
This is my bird encounter. I was riding my VFR 800. As I rode under a bridge at about 65 or 70 mph a gray rock pigeon jumped from its perch and dropped I front of my line of vision. I did not have time to do anything. I would like to say I reacted but really I just ducked . The bird hit my helmet and back and exploded . I hate to kill anything but it was a pure accident. Apairently the pigeon in the bridge thing is common. The sound of an engine spooked em.

Old July 11th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Ninjam
ninjette.org newbie

Lol sounds like it left a good stain.. But I hear ya I'm not the biggest fan either. Yeah it would be alot harder to have time at those speeds to duck or react. A couple weeks after mine happened I ended up going and test driving a 650R from a local dealership and on the highway a little bird came pretty close to my wheel at 120km, just shook me a bit cause I didn't think I'd be seeing one near me again on a bike for atleast a while but didn't react that second time.

Old August 5th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote