ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 10th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Will not start in cold

Went to go for a ride today on Lucile, around 44* F outside, and once again she will not start in the cold. This is the 5th time she has failed to start in the cold. Above 60* F and she cranks right up first try. No full or partial choke position helps. I'm a fuel injection man, so I'm not the best with carbs, but I did rebuild and clean this one fully, and had it starting and running perfectly everytime Ive rode it, when it was above 60*. It never even needed the choke to be able to start or warm up properly afterward the rebuild. Where should I start to look for the problem here?

Old December 10th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You have a Florida bike! It happens whenever the temps are below 60 on all Florida bikes. Just wait until spring and you'll be fine.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 10th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Have you gassed-up lately?

I believe they will change the gas blend in your area for the seasons, and if you have a summer-blend gas it will not vaporize in cold temps.

I would try full choke (enrichener) and opening the throttle slightly as you are cranking.

Carbs need adjustments for cold temps, so the idle mixture may be off and need to be richer.

Gas without ethanol will also give a richer mixture than gas with ethanol in a carbed engine.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Man, that reminds me of the time I filled up a motorhome in the north winter, and drove to Florida. I had a rough time getting back up route 95 because of all the vapor lock I experienced from the winter gas blend in the hot weather of FL. This is the exact opposite problem, of course.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #5
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Are completely for sure that the choke cable is hooked up and operating correctly?
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

It was probably October the last time I gassed her up. Good call. I hadent even considered that it might be the blend of gas. That makes the most sense. My choke does operate correctly, I verified that before I posted. I was thinking before that it might have been a slightly clogged passage in the choke circuit or something. Summer blend gas not vaporizing properly in low temps makes the most sense though. Coming from all fuel injection vehicles, I'm not use to having to consider the gas anywhere near as much.

Old December 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
It was probably October the last time I gassed her up. Good call. I hadent even considered that it might be the blend of gas. That makes the most sense. My choke does operate correctly, I verified that before I posted. I was thinking before that it might have been a slightly clogged passage in the choke circuit or something. Summer blend gas not vaporizing properly in low temps makes the most sense though. Coming from all fuel injection vehicles, I'm not use to having to consider the gas anywhere near as much.
Hopefully it's as simple as that.

I would probably drain the tank completely, just in case their is any condensation that has formed from the changing temps.

Keeping the tank as full as possible helps reduce the chances of condensation forming, and ethanol-free gas lasts longer (among other advantages).

Old December 11th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
How many turns out did you set your idle screws? There are little metal caps pressed in place at the factory to prevent adjustment of the idle mixture. They need to be drilled out to adjust the screws. Did you notice if those caps were removed when you cleaned your carbs? If they are still in place, the idle circuits will not have been cleaned and may still be clogged. You said you never had to use your choke above 60* so assuming your choke cable is operating: my money is on too lean an idle circuit setting either from them being clogged and/or set too lean. These motors seem cold blooded compared to many and come from the factory set very lean to meet emission standards. They almost always need a little or a lot of choke no matter the weather and your starter motor will thank you if you set the idle circuits a little richer! I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if it's 2.5 or 3.5 turns out for a decent mixture! Someone will pipe up soon with the info if I don't find it first!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 11th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
How many turns out did you set your idle screws? There are little metal caps pressed in place at the factory to prevent adjustment of the idle mixture. They need to be drilled out to adjust the screws. Did you notice if those caps were removed when you cleaned your carbs? If they are still in place, the idle circuits will not have been cleaned and may still be clogged. You said you never had to use your choke above 60* so assuming your choke cable is operating: my money is on too lean an idle circuit setting either from them being clogged and/or set too lean. These motors seem cold blooded compared to many and come from the factory set very lean to meet emission standards. They almost always need a little or a lot of choke no matter the weather and your starter motor will thank you if you set the idle circuits a little richer! I'm having a brain fart and can't remember if it's 2.5 or 3.5 turns out for a decent mixture! Someone will pipe up soon with the info if I don't find it first!
Right.

2.5 is the normal starting point. Maybe close to 3 in cold temps with ethanol gas.