@sombo okay I feel better about not stealing the Picture Game anymore

My favorite RC videos: enjoy!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Helicopters are really cool too! Just never gotten a taste of them myself yet. Not sure if this belongs in Videos or not, I wasn't intending on ONLY having videos, it just turned out that way for now lol

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm watching some of those vids right now Scattcatt.

Yeah it's called a prop hang (at least online ). I think that's so cool. I saw a guy do it in a real stunt plane at the Cleveland Air Show a couple years ago. SO COOL!! very cool when an rc plane does it too.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'm watching some of those vids right now Scattcatt.

Yeah it's called a prop hang (at least online ). I think that's so cool. I saw a guy do it in a real stunt plane at the Cleveland Air Show a couple years ago. SO COOL!! very cool when an rc plane does it too.
I was never any good at it lol, takes very precise rudder/elevator control. My favorite planes right now are actually electrics believe it or not. 3D electric RC planes have INSANE maneuverability and are relatively cheap! Plus you don't have to worry about shifting center of gravity due to sloshing fuel or consumption of fuel.

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I never thought about the sloshing fuel thing honestly. I guess that would be a problem. I got into electric RC 1/10 scale trucks a while back, but that kinda lost my interest since they only have a limited range. So I got into rockets instead, and then motorcycles I still make the occasional rocket though. I have a 1/100 scale Saturn V that's ready to launch. I based it off the Estes kit, but designed it myself in RockSim So I knew how much nose weight to use. I wish I had looked into what size parachute to use before my trial version of the program expired... Now I gotta guess

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Very cool! What size engines did you use in it? I've been a rocket hobbyist for the majority of my life as well, I never really made any custom rockets though. Just the kits, my favorite is the Estes Comanche III which has 3 stages (really the only reason why I bought it lol) down side is no chute, that baby falls with streamers haha!

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I sorta "borrowed" the instructions for friend's commanche 3 and built my own never saw the 2nd stage again.

My favorite of all the rockets I've launched was the Estes 36 D Squared. That is an impressive launch, either empty or loaded up. Twin D engines = roar + smoke + fire, but it goes to like 900 feet without payload, so it can be launched in a park safely.

My Saturn V is going up on twin E9-6's. The problem with the Estes Saturn V kit is the single D12 only gets it up to like 100 feet. A single E9 doesn't really have enough initial thrust to get off the pad. So, I looked into making it a cluster bird. 2 D12's were too much and would make it rocket (no pun intended) off the pad, but two E9's are perfect for a solid, safe launch that is still slow enough for smoke/fire/awesome liftoff that every Saturn V should have, yet they burn for almost 3 seconds, so max altitude is also pretty good.

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

How do you get 2 engines to light simultaneously? Do you flashpan them with gunpowder? That's freakishly awesome though! You should totally record that and put up a video here!

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Here's my 36 D Squared from a distance. Note the headwind I'm launching into

...then I lost the nose cone cuz it snagged in a tree on the way down.

still a good experience. My physics teacher appreciated the video we showed him of the launch.

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
How do you get 2 engines to light simultaneously? Do you flashpan them with gunpowder? That's freakishly awesome though! You should totally record that and put up a video here!
No i'm not a fan of the flashpan method.

The estes controller is capable of lighting 2 engines at once. Just crimp the sides of the igniters together so that the engines are in parallel, and they'll both light.

For more than 2 engines, just use a 9v battery, some wire, and make a clip-whip out of some alligator clips. Then when you want to launch, just connect both terminals to the end you're holding. I've had success with up to 4 engines at once.

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Pretty impressive, as far as I've heard dual igniting with traditional ignitors is very hard to get simultaneous ignition. Personally I just would have flashpanned them and never even thought about attempting a proper dual ignition. 4 rockets is insane, was it just a test or did you actually launch something lol?

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
these are the best!!

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
haha that was a test fire. I just got a pack of Estes 1/2A mini engines for testing purposes.

*edit*
Let me go see if I can rummage up the video of that 36 D launch and load it up to youtube for you. I love that rocket.

*/edit*

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

That second video was awesome! I'll have to check the first one out later, gotta run for now haha

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Well I had tons of random remote control cars as a kid. But my favorite one was this....

I got it one year for Christmas and I was so happy! I guess it could be what kinda got me into motorcycles. Idk

Here is a random youtube clip of one. Not my vid.

Oh, just remembered I got this sweet ass RC car one Christmas also....

It was a Radioshack 1:10 scale Acura RSX that could go 1,300 feet per minute. It was probably the quickest RC car I ever had. I still have. I should charge it up and slap my gopro on it. Mmmmhm, good idea. I should do this. Haha

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jono I had one of those too!! those things were so much fun to launch off jumps

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Jono I had one of those too!! those things were so much fun to launch off jumps
Sweet!! And I know, Right!!!! I made a ramp out of a plank of wood then put bricks underneath to the height I wanted. I couldn't tell you how many times I missed the ramp and just flew past it. Haha

That dirt bike was strong too! Mine never broke. The battery just died from recharging it so much. And I never bought a new one. But I still have the RC. I don't think I could ever throw it away. I think I was more excited getting it than buying my first real motorcycle. Ahhh the joys of being a kid and enjoying the simple things in life. I miss those days. (I am taking like I am an old man yet I am only 20)
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

I'm not into it as much anymore, but I have a few R/C cars. My newest car, which is pretty old now, is an RS4 Rally.

Pirelli gravel T rally tires (based on actually Pirelli rally tires)

Recently upgraded to a brushless setup

I don't remember the numbers, but I strapped my gps to it, and hit over 40mph. I really should retire it...parts are getting harder and harder to find. It was a niche car, and somewhat of a collectors item now.
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Here's the only video I have of it launching. Always a good rocket just because it's so dang loud and powerful for a black-powder rocket.

Also notice the whistling the rocket makes after the engines cut out. It was really loud in person. Very cool. I wasn't expecting that to happen.

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #20
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

@choneofakind that guys throttle control on that first plane was amazing! There were plenty of occasions were I heard him drop off on the throttle and I thought he was going to lose it but that was like flawless! I did think it was crazy that he hand cranked that thing to start it... I've flown with plenty of people who have lost fingers from doing that lol... Also that was the dual D rocket? Pretty sweet! Ever get one of those cameras that look back as they fly? Always wanted to get one of those, and the ones with the altimeter.

@Jono I think my younger brother used to have one of those dirt bikes too! Parents didn't really appreciate us playing with that thing inside though, jumping off of binders and onto the couch and stuff pretty sweet little things!

@Robinhood I haven't seen one of those in probably nearly a decade! My older brother used to have one, but his was a nitro. Amazing to hear that an electric one can push out 40mph! That level of details on the tires was unexpected too, I had no idea they went that far. Maybe it's time to just get a new one if you don't want to race that one around anymore though. What's the output of that engine? Those brushless electrics get going really fast, those make for awesome ducted fan air planes too.

I never actually recorded any of my flights, I just might have to clean mine up and take them for a flight sometime soon just to see what skills I have left

Old February 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I know right?? they started out in a different language and just as I was about to change the movie, they started it by hand and I was like hold the phone. The rest of the movie was an awesome display of skill

Yeah that was the twin D12 cluster bird I've wanted to launch a camera and altimeter so badly and I have the means of making rockets that can do it (I like large cluster rockets) but I've lost so many rockets that I'm kinda hesitant to put anything expensive up in them.

I'm interested in doing an egg-lift rocket actually. That's a good solid heft that requires some thrust, and a large 'chute.

Old February 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Ever consider getting into those HUGE rockets? The ones that go like tens of thousands of feet?

Old February 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've looked up the methods they use for motor retention and the electronics they run and some of the building methods and they're really interesting. Not to mention those composite engines are simply amazing in how much thrust they put out.

I decided that I wasn't willing to put that much money into a rocket. I would need a whole new launch control system so I could fire off the igniters that those engines need. Not to mention those kits and engines are expensive, and I would only be able to launch from the middle of farm land because of the space they need. Where I live, we simply don't have the space.

Instead, I've been incorporating some of those high power rocket building techniques into my smaller rockets and the result I've gotten is rockets that fly straight, don't tear apart, and are stable, no matter how high or low they go. Look up gap staging, and through the body fins, and streamlining fins with an airfoil to create spin. There's some cool stuff you can do with them without going broke in the process.

Old February 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

You've certainly done a lot more work in the field than I ever have. You might get a kick out of that show on the Discovery Channel, Large Dangerous Rocket Ships (LDRS) they launch all sorts of crazy things

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #25
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

Here's what I've collected for years. I don't play that much anymore but I still find time to use each once in awhile. All cars are Tamiya 1/10. Only one controller and each car has the same radio frequency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(38).jpg (106.3 KB, 5 views)
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #26
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

Great videos. My only complaint would be the damn music!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #27
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Great videos. My only complaint would be the damn music!
Bagging on Kenny Loggins?

Old February 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #28
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Not really (at least I don't think so). I like airplanes and motorcycles. I will stop most videos from playing when they have music instead of the actual sounds of the machines. It seems that most times the music doesn't match the theme of the video. I'm so tired of the GD Top Gun song, I wish I had a memory eraser to erase from everyone's memory, computer, etc.

Old February 17th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #29
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Not really (at least I don't think so). I like airplanes and motorcycles. I will stop most videos from playing when they have music instead of the actual sounds of the machines. It seems that most times the music doesn't match the theme of the video. I'm so tired of the GD Top Gun song, I wish I had a memory eraser to erase from everyone's memory, computer, etc.
Haha no worries, I just felt is was fitting for the video. The actual audio quality of that entire video is junk anyway. I personally muted it so I guess I really shouldn't be talking

Old February 17th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #30
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Well, I only looked at the first video, then I started clicking on the other videos on the left. So I never got a chance to see yours.

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

That's alright, first one is probably my favorite anyway