Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Kitri
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jane

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Smile Newbie needs advice on downshifting

Hi Everyone,
I'm an newbie rider with a 2007 Ninja. I've taken an MSF course & I've been riding for about 3 - 4 weeks now. I feel pretty comfortable shifting gears as I accelerate, but I'm having trouble downshifting. I can do it, but the bike lurches a bit, and I'd like to make the transition smoother. When I downshift I usually roll of throttle, brake, then downshift, then release clutch (think I'm releasing slowly, but maybe not slowly enough), then a little throttle, but still get the lurch. I would like to downshift as I approach a light, stop sign, and slowing for a corner from 4th speed up.

I've read about blipping, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. Being middle aged, my mind-hand coordination aren't that great, plus, in my MSF class, the instructor was all over me about not completely covering the front brake when I was braking (hard to do when you blip).

So what I'm looking for is some advice about downshifting, when & how.. I know it will require practice, but would like a little advice from you all

Thank you - thank you for considering my newbie question!!!

Kitri

PS - I probably should've posted to riding skills forum, sorry about that - next time I will

Last futzed with by Kitri; May 24th, 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Wrong forum -sorry
Kitri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Hi Jane and welcome to the forums!

The lurch is from not having your RPM's match your speed during the downshift, aka rev matching. If you want to completely eliminate the lurch, blip the throttle just like you've read about. You want to apply throttle before letting go of the clutch. When you blip, you can release the clutch a bit faster. You can keep on the throttle a bit as you release the clutch as well. It will take practice and learning what RPM's you need to be at for whatever gear you want to be in. It's the same principle when/ if you drive a stick shift car.

There's really nothing wrong with covering your front brake as you learn low speed maneuvers, but I wouldn't do it while on the highway. You'll eventually be comfortable w/o covering it at all. It's not mandatory to always cover your brakes. I never do it unless I'm in traffic at low speeds.

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

if you dont want to blip just wait till your rpms get down to around 4-5k then shift down, that should be low enough to not disrupt the bike.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #4
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

that lurch you speak of comes with all ninjettes due to lack of forks compressing as much as on many other rides. many people upgrade but i sort of follow tri down to 45 or so and then ryams advice takes over. I blip down through 4th or 3rd gear, then downshift and brake til stop or turn. I never even thought i blipped until there was a long discussion about how to use it riding. things become second nature eventually. took me like a year to where i would counter-steer by rote instead of always having to be aware of it and even practice. you seem patient, that's what you need and checking out your tach and speedo when going through the process, they can then guide you as to when to shift and blip or shift and brake. Peace out fellow old dude.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Without seeing your shifting, it sounds to me that you're letting the clutch lever out too quickly after letting the rpm's drop. Try releasing it slower and smoother

Last futzed with by rockNroll; May 24th, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitri View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm an newbie rider with a 2007 Ninja. I've taken an MSF course & I've been riding for about 3 - 4 weeks now. I feel pretty comfortable shifting gears as I accelerate, but I'm having trouble downshifting. I can do it, but the bike lurches a bit, and I'd like to make the transition smoother. When I downshift I usually roll of throttle, brake, then downshift, then release clutch (think I'm releasing slowly, but maybe not slowly enough), then a little throttle, but still get the lurch. I would like to downshift as I approach a light, stop sign, and slowing for a corner from 4th speed up.

I've read about blipping, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. Being middle aged, my mind-hand coordination aren't that great, plus, in my MSF class, the instructor was all over me about not completely covering the front brake when I was braking (hard to do when you blip).

So what I'm looking for is some advice about downshifting, when & how.. I know it will require practice, but would like a little advice from you all

Thank you - thank you for considering my newbie question!!!

Kitri

PS - I probably should've posted to riding skills forum, sorry about that - next time I will
You can release the clutch quickly, you can just tap it in as fast as possible, just while your releaseing give the throttle a slight twist.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #7
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

During the downshift are you pulling the clutch lever in all the way. If so, you are letting the rpm's drop to low and the back wheel then cannot spin up fast enough and will shudder. As a suggestion, only pull the clutch lever in just enough to get into the friction zone. I leave two fingers on the bar as a "clutch lever stop" and only pull it in all the way at a stop.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Kitri
ninjette.org newbie

Yep, I do pull it all the way in. Can I downshift in the friction zone?

Old May 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Yes, you should be able to downshift without having the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Like Jeff, I only pull in part way for most shifts, reserving full pull for stops. You may need to adjust your clutch cable so it is tighter, and to allow a smaller pull to change gears more smoothly. Here is one of kkims excellent DIYs on Clutch cable lube and adjustment that shows the factor spec 2-3mm gap with photos (you can skip the lube part and just turn the little knob you'll see - very easy to do - until you are down to 2mm.)

I suspect this issue is really just one of practice though. If you pull the lever in less, shift quickly, and get back into the throttle more quickly (all which will happen with practice), there will be less lurching. To put it another way, don't be afraid as you let out the clutch, and give it some beans! More gas will speed the engine up to catch up with the tranny and you'll not lurch.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #10
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Another thing: the MSF preaches using a 4 finger braking technique, and never covering the brakes whenever you're not actively using them.

I use 2 fingers on the brake lever, and leave my ring finger and pinky on the throttle. It makes blipping a lot easier for sure Also, I cover the brake lever when approaching potentially dangerous situtaions, like intersections etc. etc. I think the main reason they don't want you to cover the brake is to avoid peole braking during turns and accidentally dragging on the brakes. This reduces reaction time in case a hairy situation crops up. If you do this though, you should practice quick stops with 2 fingers obviously
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to riding skills forum

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

as a new rider you need to try and do as little as possible to get the results you want. practice blipping and it will soon become second nature, i do it often but if done wrong (too much throttle) it can send you forward so please practice this in a parking lot first then work it into your skills.

Most of the time if i am slowing i just feather the clutch. Problem is as jeffm said if you pull the clutch all the way then let it out slow your rpms will be so low it will have a bad time. Its a matter of timing and practice. Modern clutches and 6 speed gear boxes make this method a usable and viable one, Blipping is old school as the gears use to be so far apart it was all most mandatory, It is also a very useful skill for advanced riding and for racing but for me on the streets and as a new rider it might be asking a bit much till riding becomes more second nature.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Kitri
ninjette.org newbie

Tried your advice - better results

Hi Everyone,
Took the bike out this evening and practiced some of the techniques you suggested & low & behold, things were smoother!! Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I've been spending more time in parking lots, just seeing what the bike does and then taking what I've done out on the road, and my downshifting was much smoother. You guys are super & I appreciate your advice.

Practice, practice, practice.

Jane