Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Following an r6 through the Dragon

This is my friend's first time back up at the Dragon since his low side. He definitely hasn't found his happy place. Comment on the riding as you see fit. Curious to know what everyone thinks.

Link to original page on YouTube.

TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

looks like your friend is trying to lowside again.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

He about did. He's stiff, turning in too soon and has terrible body posititioning. The front end washed out on the return trip. A quick recovery spooked him even more. Any tips on becoming comfy again?

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:38 PM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Think I meet him on hill or at a ETB event, terrible w/ names so I won't try to guess...

Overall his riding is great from my seat, a bit more relaxed on his right than left.
At first I was thinking maybe we was being more cautious on lefts due to going down on that side, or possibly traffic (never know what can await you on tail). Then I noticed him pointing and shaking his left foot...guess it was hurting a bit still..but still kept goin @ spirited pace.

Was kinda hoping you were on your bike followin, heard you tear that rode up
Goin see if I can find his name now on etb...
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:54 PM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Looked like a beautiful day.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
He about did. He's stiff, turning in too soon and has terrible body posititioning. The front end washed out on the return trip. A quick recovery spooked him even more. Any tips on becoming comfy again?
Tips on getting comfy again: Get the hell off the street. Semi-snarky, yes, but I mean it. A good trackday working on holding lines and consistent body position would most likely do him some good. I'd say that his body positioning is not so much terrible, but very inconsistent, even considering he doesn't hang off in every corner. His lines are wonky (turning in early, adjusting lines mid-corner for no apparent reason, etc), and he's pushing too hard. Get him to the track, get him to slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time, and the pieces should line back up again. I've seen much, much worse out on the street, but as I said, he's pushing too hard and that will bite him.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:12 AM   #7
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

That road looks like a knee draggers death trap :/

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:51 AM   #8
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

The chase car is an average driver and I should go visit that place. I'm very sure I could go very fast even on a ninjette out there.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:09 AM   #9
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Thanks guys and gals!

Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
he's not that terrible. he needs to get on a track. he is crossed up and charging corners. his setup is inconsistent and timing could be improved quite a bit. but really any faster than what he's doing isn't smart with no runoff. people seem to equate the feeling of going too fast with speed but its simply not related. the feeling of going too fast means you are overloading your senses. you are trying to cram too much into a short time. so do less. it seems stupid right? do less. what should i do? not turn in? but in practice it becomes a mantra. less brake. less adjustments. less slow. just go. do the minimum for what's required and no more. adding simply complicates the situation. setup asap so you don't have to think about it later. do your braking early so you can focus on turn in and gasing out. do things before they become a problem and they wont become a problem. don't charge the corner and you'll find you exit much quicker because you can get on the gas before apexing which makes any slides you encounter less of an issue

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:37 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
get him to ride slower, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. His goal should be similar to my own, slow down a bit to ride with as much control as possible and a focus on 3 things. Throttle control, body positioning, and being actively aware of what you're looking at to make sure that you're looking in the correct direction (He seems to have the 3rd one reasonably well down but the first two are lacking, inconsistency and turning in early are destroying his lines)
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:03 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Front washed out on the return trip aye? The r6 is such a temperamental bike aint it? R6's HATE adding lean while on the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Any tips on becoming comfy again?
For me, it's "successful" repetition and since vision is hard wired to my SR's. The track is a perfect place for me to build confidence and doesn't have 311 curves to keep track of. Well defined visual markers, no distractions and all the other stuff that puts safety first ect... ect... I am sure you already know... bla bla bla

Lemme ask you this, how is it that a racer can crash and within a few races later be right back at pace or even faster?

Plan a trip to Nashville this coming season if you can. I will see what I can do about joining you. We can have some fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

In the mean time... have the suspension baselined to his weight (fully geared). It makes a world of difference while in the twisties.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Lemme ask you this, how is it that a racer can crash and within a few races later be right back at pace or even faster?
hmm, assuming lack of serious injury as that can give a lot of racers severe mental blocks for obvious reasons. I'd say it's all down to confidence, if the rider is able to pinpoint what it is that he/she did wrong that caused the crash then said rider can just practice a technique to help them deal with it and they come back with a freshly refined skill that they are confident in.

example: rider lowsides because he went wide off the track, comes back after refining his hook turn combined with bringing the bike back up while still leaning to add more throttle without going wide/losing the rear or working on his ability to delay braking and hit a late apex line.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:50 PM   #15
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
In the mean time... have the suspension baselined to his weight (fully geared). It makes a world of difference while in the twisties.
It was set up by a suspension shop but I'm going to change the fork oil here in a week or 2. Need to decide what is going to happen there as his rebound is set 1-2 clicks from lock.

As far as making it out to Nashville. Any time. It's a short ride/drive and I have family there that would love to see me and any friends I bring along.

It'd be good to see how a real rider rides and learn a few things to get my rusty butt back in gear.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 01:51 PM   #16
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Thanks for everyone's tips and keeping the info relevant. It's a big help to the rider, to me and hopefully anyone else who happens across this video.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:27 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

cause we're psychotic and crashing is simply another word for failure and we all know what you must do to failure..... kick it in the teeth.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
cause we're psychotic and crashing is simply another word for failure and we all know what you must do to failure..... kick it in the teeth.
psychotic!

Failure?!?!?! What's that?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.