ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 19th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #1
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Bedding in new brake pads

I'm planning to do a track event soon but my brake pads are kind of low. I'd prefer to have new pads, and I was thinking of getting EBC pads, but their bedding in period is 200 miles and I probably won't get anywhere close to that in time. If I can only do around 50 miles or so before the track event, would that be enough, or would I be better off sticking with the pads I have?
divil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No, because you might fail tech with worn out pads. Some of us that work tech do check such things.

Here is what I do "at the track".

Ride a novice session and go slow enough to use only very light braking to no braking at all. This first session is used to scuff the pad, to get it hot and then cool back off, rinse and repeat as the session time permits.

Next session is harder braking to test the feel and begin matting the pad to the rotor. If things feel fine, then I will finish the session riding as I normally would.

I will then keep an eye on the rotor and pad for glazing for the next two days worth of riding.

I have been riding for 20yrs+ and have NEVER rode 100/200 miles on pads to break them in. But there is no reason this can't be done on the street at slower paces before you track day. In fact, that is what I would do. So when you get to the track, you are focusing on YOU vs your bike's parts.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #3
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
No, because you might fail tech with worn out pads. Some of us that work tech do check such things.

Here is what I do "at the track".

Ride a novice session and go slow enough to use only very light braking to no braking at all. This first session is used to scuff the pad, to get it hot and then cool back off, rinse and repeat as the session time permits.

Next session is harder braking to test the feel and begin matting the pad to the rotor. If things feel fine, then I will finish the session riding as I normally would.

I will then keep an eye on the rotor and pad for glazing for the next two days worth of riding.

I have been riding for 20yrs+ and have NEVER rode 100/200 miles on pads to break them in. But there is no reason this can't be done on the street at slower paces before you track day. In fact, that is what I would do. So when you get to the track, you are focusing on YOU vs your bike's parts.
Thanks. I'll get it done on the street.
divil is offline   Reply With Quote