Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old February 10th, 2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Tension in your arms?

Here is something interesting that California Superbike School posted on their Facebook page. Have a look at the coach's left hand then to the next image for a close up view.

Once you've put the bike on line, make sure there is no tension on the handlebars. Photo: @etechphoto

When you ride do you think you're as relaxed as the coach pictured or do you still carry tension in the handlebars?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2020, 07:01 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Maybe not AS relaxed as that coach, but I've been working on relaxing on the bike.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2020, 07:56 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I always keep a death grip the handlebars. I definitely need to relax.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2020, 08:31 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Having strong back muscles really help with relaxing arms and hands.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 11th, 2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I always keep a death grip the handlebars. I definitely need to relax.
You certainly do! Now, is it simply a matter of telling yourself to relax and you will be relaxed or are there specific skills/techniques that you need to incorporate into your riding in order to be ABLE to relax?

Old February 12th, 2020, 03:51 AM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
I sometimes have a tighter grip on the bars than I should. I'll wriggle my fingers/take them off the bars occasionally during a ride to remind myself to keep them loose. My issue is a tensed up left arm during right turns. It's not something I even noticed until my first track days last year. The solution I found is to tell myself to relax that arm before I go into the turn.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2020, 08:41 PM   #7
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I'm not yet fortunate enough to ride track and am responsible enough to not get my bike that sideways on the street. But I can't agree more with having a strong core like Danno mentioned. I take pretty good care of myself now and riding is at least a few thousand times more enjoyable as a reasonably fit person and not a fat guy or a skeleton like I've been before.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2020, 08:37 AM   #8
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

Thumbs up

I am gonna say yes, I am that relaxed. They ask me at times to show people proper BP at the track. They have a bike that is set up (no engine) to practice proper BP on. This is at NYST. Whoever I am working with, I have them get into a proper stance and then let go of the handle bars. If they can’t do it, I show them. You do need a strong core for sure and using the outside knee helps tremendously. I tell them don’t be scared to move around on the bike. The more upright you are, you tend to have the KUNG FU grip on the bars. If your upper body is lower it is easier to lesser your grip on the bars.
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:34 AM   #9
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFMNINJA400 View Post
I am gonna say yes, I am that relaxed. They ask me at times to show people proper BP at the track. They have a bike that is set up (no engine) to practice proper BP on. This is at NYST. Whoever I am working with, I have them get into a proper stance and then let go of the handle bars. If they can’t do it, I show them. You do need a strong core for sure and using the outside knee helps tremendously. I tell them don’t be scared to move around on the bike. The more upright you are, you tend to have the KUNG FU grip on the bars. If your upper body is lower it is easier to lesser your grip on the bars.
Agree with this but only IF you are locked on with your legs. Hard to relax your arms (nearly impossible actually) if you aren't stable on the bike with your lower body. So, it's one thing to remind yourself to relax IF you notice yourself being tight, but it's another thing to consciously think about remaining relaxed and setting up your body so that you can succeed.

How can you use your lower body to stabilize yourself? What things help you get that secure, locked on and stable feeling with your hips so that you can have "jazz hands" (relaxed hands and arms) while riding?