ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2021, 11:55 PM   #1
Bongzy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bongzy

Motorcycle(s): Ex250j

Clicking solenoid

Hi all, I have recently brought a 2008 ninja 250R ex250j

I have a problem where my ignition switch was not working so I removed my barrel and ignition, I have a fully charged battery and I have tried to jump start it, so when I used my battery it cranked over a few times but was no spark because the 100ohm resistor needed for gray wire, I am really stumped as to what is going on I thought it was a dead battery the clicking solenoid reason so I tried to jump start it, and the solenoid is still just making a single clicking Nosie when push to start, I have used a metal screw driver to try bypass the solenoid and it does nothing would anyone have any ideas as to what I should do next?

I am getting 12.4v when trying to start and 12.7 without trying to start, I am getting 12.4v to the starter motor when clicking push to start, but just a clicking solenoid still, as stated I have tried to bypass solenoid but nothing happens when using a screw driver, I have checked all fuses yes including the 30a fuse.

I just ripped the starter motor off and connected it to a battery and it is running fine, it has to be the solenoid right.

Last futzed with by Bongzy; June 23rd, 2021 at 03:58 AM.
Bongzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:34 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongzy View Post
Hi all, I have recently brought a 2008 ninja 250R ex250j

I have a problem where my ignition switch was not working so I removed my barrel and ignition, I have a fully charged battery and I have tried to jump start it, so when I used my battery it cranked over a few times but was no spark because the 100ohm resistor needed for gray wire, I am really stumped as to what is going on I thought it was a dead battery the clicking solenoid reason so I tried to jump start it, and the solenoid is still just making a single clicking Nosie when push to start, I have used a metal screw driver to try bypass the solenoid and it does nothing would anyone have any ideas as to what I should do next?

I am getting 12.4v when trying to start and 12.7 without trying to start, I am getting 12.4v to the starter motor when clicking push to start, but just a clicking solenoid still, as stated I have tried to bypass solenoid but nothing happens when using a screw driver, I have checked all fuses yes including the 30a fuse.

I just ripped the starter motor off and connected it to a battery and it is running fine, it has to be the solenoid right.
If you are getting 12.4V to the starter motor, have jumped the solenoid, and confirmed the motor works - it should spin the engine over. It would seem the starter motor is not spinning/engaging when mounted.

Have you tried spinning the engine over manually with a socket on the crank? Have you done any engine work recently?

Maybe others have ideas, but if you are getting voltage to the starter motor, and it's not spinning, I would think it's the problem. EDIT: Unless the engine is locked-up.

Last futzed with by jkv45; June 24th, 2021 at 06:27 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 09:12 PM   #3
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Did you confirm the engine is not locked up ? you can open the plug on the startor cover and try to rotate it with a socket. Make sure its in neutral. If its not locked up and rotates try to start it manually - push start. Mount the bike, turn the ignition,apply the choke, put it in the first gear and pull the clutch. Then either go downhill or ask someone to push. When you gain a speed of few miles per hour slowly release the clutch. If the engine is working it should start. Immediately pull the clutch when you hear the cylinders firing.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2021, 01:26 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Could be hydolocked, try removing the spark plugs and then try starting it without the plugs in

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 24th, 2021, 05:39 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Could be hydolocked, try removing the spark plugs and then try starting it without the plugs in
Interesting idea. If that's the case, put a rag over the spark plug holes and have a fire extinguisher in hand, because gasoline could come spraying out.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Interesting idea. If that's the case, put a rag over the spark plug holes and have a fire extinguisher in hand, because gasoline could come spraying out.
O yeah, forgot that part, and what he said ⬆️ 😁

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 28th, 2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Bongzy
ninjette.org newbie

Hey peeps sorry for the late update and reply, I appreciate everyone's opinions and suggestions, so once I took the starter motor out and ran it of a positive and negative it ran fine so I was thinking how can this possibly happen like nothing is making sense seeing the bike was cranking and then the solenoid started clicking so nothing could be locked up on inside, anyways I plugged the starter motor back and there is no more clicking it wants to start everytime, now this bike has been sitting for a few months and was transported on a 3 day trip, everytime I try and start it now I am getting petrol coming out my exhaust and there is fuel in my oil what would be my best approach to clean this carby out there is so many ****ing wires and junk above the carby does anyone have an idea on where I should start with the carby, I can clean everything else up, just this carby is a nightmare thanks for everyone's help appreciate it.

Old June 28th, 2021, 08:04 PM   #8
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

From what you are describing it looks like your float valves are leaky as well as the tank valve. The gas leaks into the cylinder and causes the hydrolock. It then leaks down into the oil pan and pushed out into the exhaust as well. You need to take the carbs off and service them. You also need to rebuild the valve so it only opens when the vacuum is created by the engine.

Old June 29th, 2021, 06:08 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Hey peeps sorry for the late update and reply, I appreciate everyone's opinions and suggestions, so once I took the starter motor out and ran it of a positive and negative it ran fine so I was thinking how can this possibly happen like nothing is making sense seeing the bike was cranking and then the solenoid started clicking so nothing could be locked up on inside, anyways I plugged the starter motor back and there is no more clicking it wants to start everytime, now this bike has been sitting for a few months and was transported on a 3 day trip, everytime I try and start it now I am getting petrol coming out my exhaust and there is fuel in my oil what would be my best approach to clean this carby out there is so many ****ing wires and junk above the carby does anyone have an idea on where I should start with the carby, I can clean everything else up, just this carby is a nightmare thanks for everyone's help appreciate it.
That explains a few things then...

As (edit - Ghostt) and Sergey have said - you most likely have enough gas sitting in the cylinder that the engine will not spin over.

That means you have 2 problems simultaneously.

The first is the vacuum operated petcock is not shutting off the fuel when the engine is not running - so you need to address that. Know that aftermarket manual petcocks do not work well (trust me) and rebuilding the oem or replacing with new is the best option.

The other issue is the float valves in the carbs are not working properly. As you said, the carbs need to be gone through and cleaned/rebuilt. If you feel that's not in your wheelhouse, contact ducatiman here to have them done professionally.

Be sure to do an oil and filter change after the carb work is done.

Last futzed with by jkv45; June 29th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2021, 06:28 AM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Like I said earlier, hydrolocked

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 2nd, 2021, 09:21 PM   #11
Bongzy
ninjette.org newbie

Heyya peeps I must say for a new user, I tried to push alot of the comments and suggestions given away because you guys made it seem so bad, for a newbie, anyhow I have taken in what I should be trying next, I have drained my motor and over 5L of oil and fuel poured out I flushed it multiple times, It is now running fine and great, the problem all come from leaving bike on prime. The only reason I am typing this is the hope to help another user in the same situation. Thank you all.

Old July 3rd, 2021, 02:51 AM   #12
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Heyya peeps I must say for a new user, I tried to push alot of the comments and suggestions given away because you guys made it seem so bad, for a newbie, anyhow I have taken in what I should be trying next, I have drained my motor and over 5L of oil and fuel poured out I flushed it multiple times, It is now running fine and great, the problem all come from leaving bike on prime. The only reason I am typing this is the hope to help another user in the same situation. Thank you all.
Thanks for the update. This is an important piece of information. But we are not done yet, unfortunately . if it floods the engine when you leave the bike on prime it means your float valves in one of the carbs (or both) are leaking. You need to fix that by rebuilding the carbs. If you do not address this issue, not only will this flood happen again when you switch it to “prime” but also you carbs will not work properly. If your valves are leaking you cannot set the proper fuel level in the bowls and thus you cannot set the proper mixture below a certain rpm (it depends on how much they leak) Most likely each carb leaks it at a different rate as well.

The way it supposed to work when you switch to prime it will fill the carb bowls up ant stop at a certain level.

Old July 3rd, 2021, 06:51 AM   #13
Bongzy
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibSerge View Post
Thanks for the update. This is an important piece of information. But we are not done yet, unfortunately . if it floods the engine when you leave the bike on prime it means your float valves in one of the carbs (or both) are leaking. You need to fix that by rebuilding the carbs. If you do not address this issue, not only will this flood happen again when you switch it to “prime” but also you carbs will not work properly. If your valves are leaking you cannot set the proper fuel level in the bowls and thus you cannot set the proper mixture below a certain rpm (it depends on how much they leak) Most likely each carb leaks it at a different rate as well.

The way it supposed to work when you switch to prime it will fill the carb bowls up ant stop at a certain level.

Yeah I have notice this, I tried to start my bike this morning and it was dying even when on full choke so I put the petrol on prime and it ran perfectly, these carbs do need to be clean asap, thank you so much Serge

Old August 27th, 2021, 04:35 AM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

ok your new to bikes but have serious carburetor issues...
here's a plan for you. pull the carburetor's off, and send them to Ducattiman here at this site... I hear he does great work and your carbs will no longer be the problem.... while you are waiting for the carbs to return replace your petcock, because like mine, it is leaking and should be replaced.
you must pull both of the side fairings on my bike to get to the carbs
and then there is just 4 bolts 2 hose clamps and the cables for the throttle
leave all the hoses on the carbs, don't take anything off of them
and send it to Ducattiman.... that is your best bet !
i found it easier to take the intake manifold off on my bike on one side
than it was to get the carb out of the boot ! ( no room to work)
Bob.......

Old August 27th, 2021, 05:14 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
you must pull both of the side fairings on my bike to get to the carbs
I bet a lot of guys miss that step.

Old August 27th, 2021, 10:57 AM   #16
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL.... I doubt it as you can't even see the carbs with them on !
stating the obvious for the new guy to bikes...it helps to be thorough .
I suppose I could have passed here but he needs to get used to the idea that it's no walk in the park to get the carbs off. the manual helped me alot as I had never touched one of these things before I even had to loosen up the air box to get enough room to get them out... that even meant the battery removal too. by the time I was done I had the bike 50% dissembled ! just to get the carbs off..... that was unheard of in the 70's..... times change !....
Bob.......

Old August 27th, 2021, 11:00 AM   #17
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
reinforces the need to get the carbs cleaned and set up *right* the 1st time, dunnit?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2021, 11:02 AM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
LOL.... I doubt it as you can't even see the carbs with them on !
stating the obvious for the new guy to bikes...it helps to be thorough .
I was laughing at your instruction for the OP to remove the fairings from YOUR bike so he can get to HIS carbs.

Old August 27th, 2021, 11:19 AM   #19
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Yeah I have notice this, I tried to start my bike this morning and it was dying even when on full choke so I put the petrol on prime and it ran perfectly, these carbs do need to be clean asap, thank you so much Serge
This means your petcock is defective as well. Vacuum is not activating it and you have to manually turn it on (pri). And your carb float-valves are not shutting off petrol flow properly when bowls fill up. Send both petcock and carbs to Ducatiman for restoration.

I had exact same problem on my 2009 when I 1st got it. It had sat for over 6-months when previous-owner lost interested. It did start and run for 5-seconds before it died. Then leaked entire contents of petrol tank through carbs into cylinders overnight. When I tried to start it next day, it was locked up and stripped teeth off starter ring-gear.

I had scheduled trackday soon, so I just welded teeth back on rather than waiting for new part to arrive.

You've been lucky! Send your petcock & carbs in for restoration before this happens to you!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2021, 12:59 PM   #20
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I had scheduled trackday soon, so I just welded teeth back on rather than waiting for new part to arrive.
That's a little funny. I'd do that too if necessary. I was in the middle of making a set of expansion chambers once and the teeth on one of the rollers of my Harbor Freight slip roll stripped. I welded them back on and it worked until I received some replacement gears. One replacement and two spares, actually.

Old August 27th, 2021, 02:00 PM   #21
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah ! it's amazing the injunity that comes up when your desperate !
I've even made a entire gear for my lathe rather than pay $120.00 for it.
but it works just fine... and I was NOT set up to do that so I fumbled my way through it ... got it done in spite of myself ! LOL
speaking of which I still have some teeth to braze back on on the reverse gear
on that logan lathe ! ... but that's a winter project ! HAHAHAH!
Jim.... well I tried to make it clear HAHAHAHA !
Bob...