Notices

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Dog training and rescue stories

When I am not working on my bike or at work working on cars. I rescue abused and neglected. cats and dogs. Placing over 100 cats and half dozen dogs over the years. My latest was rescued from behind an abandon house. He was half starved and no water tided with a chain to a tree about four feet long.

I brought him home and got him back to health. I then got him his shots and had him fixed. Now I am training him and looking for a good home.

All dogs are different and different training for different dogs. After a short google surch I found out what I have.

He is a one year Presa Canario. I have never seen anything like this . Cat like reflexes and pure mussel. Beautiful dogs but bread for centuries as fighting dogs. He could be very formidable. I am totally agenced fighting and breeding dogs. And will have to be VERY careful where I place him. No one wants a monster. Unless they want to fight him. He needs a strong leader . But he is a very sweet boy.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
When I am not working on my bike or at work working on cars. I rescue abused and neglected. cats and dogs. Placing over 100 cats and half dozen dogs over the years. My latest was rescued from behind an abandon house. He was half starved and no water tided with a chain to a tree about four feet long.

I brought him home and got him back to health. I then got him his shots and had him fixed. Now I am training him and looking for a good home.

All dogs are different and different training for different dogs. After a short google surch I found out what I have.

He is a one year Presa Canario. I have never seen anything like this . Cat like reflexes and pure mussel. Beautiful dogs but bread for centuries as fighting dogs. He could be very formidable. I am totally agenced fighting and breeding dogs. And will have to be VERY careful where I place him. No one wants a monster. Unless they want to fight him. He needs a strong leader . But he is a very sweet boy.
WARNING Chinese Scammer Alert!!!

Sorry had to do it

Totally awesome you rescue animals and it sounds like you do it out of pocket. Good karma headed your way
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
If people only do good things because they expect reward or fear punishment we are doomed as a people
A Einstien

Old June 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Quote:

Thank you for your unselfishness. It amazes me how people can mistreat their pets like a toy. I wanted to link my favorite dog rescue vid from this guy in CA. Hopefully, it'll make people think twice about seeing strays/abandoned pets and maybe call a shelter to help or even RacerX!

Link to original page on YouTube.

shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Rescuing pets is a very noble thing to do, and I try my best to participate. My girlfriend and I foster cats for a local animal rescue. It's basically acting as a home for the pets and put them out on adoption events on the weekends until they get adopted. The kittens come and go quick while one big cat has stayed with us for months.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

We have three rescue dogs. A Westie, Yorkie and a Chihuahua. They are just part of the family. I do have two labs as well.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Our terrier mix is a rescue and she is wonderful! I am starting to volunteer again at a shelter in the area and hope to work with the dogs, specifically pits, as much as I can. It's sad that there is such a strong need for people to rescue animals, but I support everyone who does!

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Well I have to give up trying to place the Pressa Canario I found. I talked to a guy that new the breeder of this dog and he said the mother is a pure bread Pressa Canario and the father is an American Bull dog. He has no pit bull in him at all. The dog originally sold for 1500 dollars and was bread not to fight but as a guard dog.
No one wants him. Except me. We have been doing obedience training. I figure it would be good for him to have papers. I have been though multiple training classes. But it has been a while. I will take this guy to advanced obediance and maybe agility . He that fast and strong. He has bonded with my pack and fits in perfectly. So it's a happy ending or should I say a happy begining.

Old July 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Duchess
<3

Name: Kristina

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Late to this thread, but I'm glad to hear that it worked out for him in the end. It is a wonderful thing you do!

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #10
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Here in the country people tend to drop their dogs off at the trash dumpster - hence the common name "dump dog". It's pretty sad to see a poor animal with just a thin layer of skin over its bones. We usually keep dog food in our vehicles if we see and strays and feed them. We do not have a local shelter here and usually by the time you do see them, it is too late. I am not the type of person that would wish any bad things to people, but I sure to wish the people that drop off these poor helpless animals live like they do for a month and see how it feels. Drop them off in some remote location with no food, water, clothes, or shelter. We have a rescue dog and she is soooo cute and ended up being a pure breed.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #11
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Can't get my dog to stop mouthing

I have a Catahoula Cur, Blue Leopard (rescued) when she was about 7 weeks, she is now 6 months old. I have trained her to do all the basic commands sit, stay, come, down, roll-over, shake your hand, drop-it, hold-it, off, walk loose leash, and potty, but I just can't get her to stop grabbing your hand with her mouth. She doesn't bite per se, but when I put on her harness to go out, she will grab my hand and "nibble", at first I thought she was going thru a "teething" stage and it would pass, but it hasn't. She knows "off" and of course "no", but it is a constant battle to pet her around her head and she grabs your hand with her mouth. She is not aggressive by any means, food, toys, people, or other animals. I have researched the internet, read books and I have yet been able to get her to stop. For the most part she is a quick learner -- for instance she learned to shake your hand in 3 tries, etc. Any suggestions?????

Old August 14th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #12
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I have a Catahoula Cur, Blue Leopard (rescued) when she was about 7 weeks, she is now 6 months old. I have trained her to do all the basic commands sit, stay, come, down, roll-over, shake your hand, drop-it, hold-it, off, walk loose leash, and potty, but I just can't get her to stop grabbing your hand with her mouth. She doesn't bite per se, but when I put on her harness to go out, she will grab my hand and "nibble", at first I thought she was going thru a "teething" stage and it would pass, but it hasn't. She knows "off" and of course "no", but it is a constant battle to pet her around her head and she grabs your hand with her mouth. She is not aggressive by any means, food, toys, people, or other animals. I have researched the internet, read books and I have yet been able to get her to stop. For the most part she is a quick learner -- for instance she learned to shake your hand in 3 tries, etc. Any suggestions?????
She is still teathing at this age. Plenty of toys is a good way to keep your stuff intact.
As for correcting behavour.
You just have to be consistent with a sharp "NO Bite"the instant he start to reach for you . Then you also have to be very aware of your hands. Don't allow the dog to fail. Keep your hands clear and if he reaches for you. Remove you have and give the command quickly. Then move on to something else. Have you been on Cesar web page?

I am still working with my new friend. I did find out the father half of his breed. He is an South African Boerboel Mastiff really the most incredable dog I have ever seen.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

Old August 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #13
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I have been working on her "mouthing" me, she is getting better but it is challenging at times, I know I have to be consistent. I found out this particular breed needs a strong leader or there could be trouble as they get older. I have trained another dog we had a long time ago so that helps with some of the training issues I have had. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I have not heard of this type of Mastiff, my husband wants one and is keeping his eyes open. The dog in the link is gorgeous, is yours like that? I think the only thing that may be on my side with another dog is that fact that now my husband is seeing how much the "larger" dogs eat, lol. My dog should get around 60 - 80 pounds and she has a good appetite. How old is your dog?

Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:26 AM   #14
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Good luck . Consistency is very important. And being a strong leader. The mouthing is a bad habit. Don't really react to it. This gives an attention reward. Keep your hands clear of the mouth. I started grabbing his front tooth and holding on to it. He does not like it and stoped mouthing. I can't recommend that.
My dog looks like a brindle Pressa Canario. He is about 100 lb and eats a lot. I can't place him and he is a very powerful . They say what a lion is to a cat. A mastif is to a dog. I take him to work with me every day. He sleeps on the bed with me and is with me all the time. I don't really ever stop training. He is a guard dog. So I have to look after him. As long as he thinks I am protecting him. Then everything will be OK.

Big working dogs are not really pets. They are a lot of work. You need to work them a couple times a day every day. You need a fenced yard with a six foot stockade fence. Children and other pets are OK but complicate things. Be careful selecting a mastiff or any dog. Do a ton of resetch.
The loyalty and devotion you get back from a dog like this is amazing though. And they are very entertaining with there personality.

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #15
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Wow, I would love to see a pic of your dog . Thanks for the suggestions, I have been working with her on the "mouthing" and she is getting better with me, it is with my husband she has not improved any. I will try the tooth thing, and see what her response is. I know grabbing the tongue is supposed to work, it is just ALOT of slobbers . She is not 100 lbs but is easily 60+ pounds, she is very strong so I have to continuously work with her since she could easily overcome me with her strength. She does good on a leash and 99% of the time we walk loose leash. I have been around large dogs during my childhood years and know if you have a "controlled" dog you have a great guard dog. She has become protective and now I feel I need to get a better leash for fear that she may break the current one we have. I don't know if she would actually bite anyone to protect me, but I sure don't want to find out. We have a nice size yard (in the country) so she gets plenty of exercise but when I am going to be gone for a while she is in her kennel, then I allow her to run around when I get home to release some energy before bringing her in.

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #16
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Last night my dog Gaston graduated from his intermediate obedience class. He is always the top of his class. Now he goes on to advanced . And he is half way to his good citizen award. Once he has that he can visit people in hospitals and nursing homes.
At this stage he is almost always off lead. And working from voice commands and hand signals. Advanced is more of the same. But more hand signals and distractions.

I hope to use him as a good example of the Pressa Canario bread.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Way to go Gaston!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #18
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I'm just seeing this now, and I live no where near you, but I lived near you and was around when you were trying to get rid of him I'd have been all over that.

I love the fighting breed dogs, they can be a bit of a problem around other dogs some times but I've never seen one of those dogs who was well cared for that showed the slightest aggression towards kids. My current dogs are both mutts, but one is mostly yellow lab and he isn't aggressive, but just way too energetic and out of control, and he does get aggressive with people when he gets out of the yard. My old pit bull was a perfect gentleman, played with young kids just fine instead of knocking them over trying to play.

Plus, in spite of the fact that they aren't very human aggressive, all the undesirables tend to abuse them and make them aggressive, which means they tend to be a bit scared of them, more so than the dogs that are actually good attack dogs like shepherds.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hmmmm.... not sure how I missed this thread.

As some have seen, I rescue cats. At one point I had 22. I live out in the middle of the woods so they all stay outside and live a happy life in my yard and in the wild. Some have done well and sickness got to them before I could get them to the vet. Others I have brought back from the edge of death to live a long happy life.

Now on to my rescue shepard mix. I wanted a dog to alert me of anything outside at night. I also wanted a dog that was very trainable. So decided on a shepard. After seeing the price tag of a pure one, I went to the shelters and found a mix that nobody seemed to want as was on the list to be put down. I took him home and found out why he was there. He has a skin issue that makes him scratch his hair off and now after his last vet visit, I was told he has cancer. I am still going to take care of him until his last day as long as it don't get bad enough to effect the kids and then I will have to think of something else.

Anyone every go through this? How long does it take before the dog starts to have a lesser quality of life?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 12:53 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Lost my best friend today..... RIP Theo, he was a good dog

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #21
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Last night was Gaston's first day of advanced obedience class. He is so good. Showing he can do sit ,stay, lay down and wait ( as I walk through a door) and come. He does heal on command all with hand signals.
That was just to show how he has been doing. And what needs work.

The next class is sit for a greeting. Meaning he has to sit and let someone touch and pet him.
And he will learn to pick up objects. First he is learning to touch things with his nose.
I have to teach him to touch things by holding it up . say touch . when he does I reward with food. Just anything will do. I picked a towel and toy. This should be fun for him.

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #22
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Gaston just graduated from advanced obedience class. I am so lucky with this one. One person that works every day in a kennel said he is the perfect dog. And he really is.

Now he gets a summer vacation. And we start with a personal type trainer. I am trying to get his good citizen award. That is a state test. And a companion dog certificate. That will allow him to go visit people in hospitals and nursing homes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.7 KB, 1 views)

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #23
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Both of our dogs are rescue dogs, and both cats also really...

Did a stint as a foster carer also, but the dog we got was too small and could slip through our gate so we had to keep him inside, which didn't work too well. Kept him until he found a forever home which was nice...

Just had pro photos done of our 2, Stella (small one, guess what breeds she is and I'll give you all the internets) and Harry (big one). Stella was dumped at 6 weeks old, how anyone could do that I can't understand.She is a genius, serriously, I know many many dumber people than her.

Got Harry from a shelter. He's not real bright, but he is pretty bloody cute.

Sorry in advance for the number of pics!

MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Awesome pics!

Been since Feb. since I lost my good buddy. I am back on the hunt for another shepherd rescue.

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #25
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Lost my best friend today..... RIP Theo, he was a good dog
Just saw this. My condolences.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #26
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

All of my dogs have been rescues. My current little guy is a rescued rescue. He's a little deer head chihuahua that was given to the humane society by his previous owners. He didn't "show" well because he would snip at people from his cage. Poor guy was freaked out... They were gonna put him down, but a no kill rescue took him and he was placed in a foster home. I saw him on petfinder and fell in love. He's such a sweetheart and definitely is getting spoiled in his new home

Rescue dogs are the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.0 KB, 1 views)

Old August 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #27
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Rescue dogs are def the best!

Old August 8th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Oahull
ninjette.org member

Name: Olivia

Motorcycle(s): '00 Ninja 250

I've rescued one dog. His name was Drei and he was a German shorthair pointer with three legs. A previous owner, who was supposed to be the "rescuer" from the original owner, took very poor care of him, and came into my (former) work, a "doggy daycare" place, and dumped him there after the owner's vet refused to put him down. The owner dumped him (and tried to put him down) because he had a very hard time learning to be housebroken, and the owner thought that something was wrong with him . Anyway, after a couple months of diligence and cleaning up pee constantly, he finally stopped peeing indoors. He could also play fetch like no one's business.

Unfortunately, he was hit by a car a little over a year ago. I'd like to think I made his life a little better in the time I had with him, though.

I also rescued a cat. Found her abandoned at a mountain bike trail I frequent as a tiny little kitten. The story's much happier with this one though. She's still kickin, and is about the best, funniest cat I've ever met.
Oahull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Today Gaston started agility training. This should be fun. He was nervous but did a good job. I am looking forward to next week. Then I might build a thing in the yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131027_114854_677.jpg (30.8 KB, 0 views)

Old October 28th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice Eric! Good luck to him.

Here is my newest addition (rescue) to the zoo I have going on out here at my house. Pug/Chihuahua mix about 7 months old. Man... what a ball of energy and chews on everything. I am going to have my work cut out for me training him up. After about 30 days, I should have him fully housebroken and some of the basic commands down. He should respond well to training, it only took me to days to get him to fully sit on command. Stay.... is a totally different matter. lol He seems to be getting along with the swarm of cats as well but does like to chase the large male cat around the yard.

The wife already named him Pugsly but I call him Skidmark all the time. The little thing thinks he is a bulldozer and just tries to plow through everything and usually ends up on his head or tumbling/sliding on the floor or ground. I will try to catch some of that on video. It has me and the rest of the family rollin' with laughter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pug.jpg (102.4 KB, 0 views)

Old October 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #31
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Pugs are awesome.

Old October 30th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #32
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Nice thread. I took in an 8 year old beagle this past February. Originally I went to the shelter to volunteer and did a couple of days, but then I took in my beagle and stopped going cause she's a handful herself. She has potty issues occasionally which I think is linked to her severe anxiety. She shakes a lot and whenever she's home alone she usually leaves a puddle even after she went outside.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #33
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Great thread! Kudos to all my brother and sister pet rescuers. I've adopted several dogs and cats over the years and loved them all as members of our family. We curently have an elderly cat ( 15 years with us) and a Chiuaua mix( bulldog? ) . They are awesome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 Ohio Vetter Challenge 087.jpg (161.5 KB, 0 views)
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Awesome Vic! Does he ride with you?

And a question for those who know something about dog training. So I got this pug (not the one in the pic below lol), and it's eating everything! It loves my daughters crayons, what can I do?

Old January 20th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #35
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I signed my boy up for his fourth level of obedience class. This will be a mix of private and group classes.
He is already great. But I am going g to get a K9 good citizen award.

I took him to the vet Saturday to use there official scale. He is 110 lb. He was like 65 lb when I found him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140118_151528.jpg (119.6 KB, 1 views)

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #36
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

[QUOTE=csmith12;778564]Awesome Vic! Does he ride with you?

Hi Chris, Sorry I missed this til now. No, Jack's mom won't let her baby ride on dad's bikes. He does love to travel and been on road trips to OK, NV and OR. I'll defer to the expert dog trainers on your Pug's issues, I just ry to keep stuff out of their reach. Though our cat has started a new trick; if we leave any drink on a table he'll jump up and try to drink out of it, usually spilling it over. ERRRR!! I wonder if cat-shaming works.

Eric, Congratulations, Gaston is doing great thanks to you and the awesome home you provide for him to thrive in. He is getting to be a pretty big boy.

Old January 20th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Hi Chris, Sorry I missed this til now. No, Jack's mom won't let her baby ride on dad's bikes. He does love to travel and been on road trips to OK, NV and OR. I'll defer to the expert dog trainers on your Pug's issues, I just ry to keep stuff out of their reach. Though our cat has started a new trick; if we leave any drink on a table he'll jump up and try to drink out of it, usually spilling it over. ERRRR!! I wonder if cat-shaming works.
I am down to 14 cats from 22, yea I know... I am the crazy cat guy. We rescue them and "try" to find them homes but nobody really wants adult cats. Unless I spay and declaw them. I don't mind the spay part but I am against declawing them. The family and I keep them outside.

Anyway... Bummer you can't take your pal for a ride. I took my pug for his first ride a few weeks ago. Wow... it was like trying to hold onto a wet cat. hahahahahahah But I have him car trained like yours. Good luck with the cat and cups, your gunna need it. lol

He is getting large and in charge aye Racer X? Whatcha feeding him? Beefsteaks?

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:54 PM   #38
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

14 cats You are the man!

My wife is sort of a junior cat lady in training, she feeds 2 feral cats ( both were captured and neutered ). One of them she has tamed enough so that she can pet it. It's pretty tough on cats where we live; there are cototes and racoons. The feral cat posse was originally 4 now down to 2.

Old February 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #39
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I signed my boy up for his fourth level of obedience class. This will be a mix of private and group classes.
He is already great. But I am going g to get a K9 good citizen award.

I took him to the vet Saturday to use there official scale. He is 110 lb. He was like 65 lb when I found him.
Dam that's a big dog!

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #40
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Class was grest . He was nervous at first but once the treats started coming out. He relaxed.
He is going to got bigger. He is only two years old. But the size is one thing. He is strong and has cat like movement. I am amazed sometimes just watching him chase squirrel's.