ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #1
pucktoplay1
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Planning on going on a cross country ride.

So I am going to bring my bike to school in Arizona and I am in NY at home for the summer. A year ago my plan was to ship my bike there, but now things have changed and I really want to take a long distance ride like this one for the experience. I have been waiting for my chance at a walkabout for a while now and I have finally found it. I have been reading about cross country riding for a couple weeks now and I have read all of the forum articles and ride reports including the iron but write ups and that other one where the guy rides his 250 cross country with a couple of buddies. I am looking for some fresh ideas/tips for what I should do to my 09 ninja 250 before going and what I should bring and expect. I am planning on buying a tank bag and a set of saddle bags because my backpack would cause too much strain on my shoulders and back. Is there anything else I should do to my 250 besides doing a full service and inspection before leaving? What should I expect during this time of the year? I plan to leave on or around August 10th. I am allotting 6-8 days for the trip.
pucktoplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Take two weeks and really enjoy the ride.

Always check the weather.

Bring a pump with you.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; July 16th, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I made the trip from GA to CA with my tank bag and backpack. My biggest issue was thinking that I ran out of gas (likely, the tank formed a vacuum and just needed to be opened/closed) and getting severely chapped face, neck, chest, etc. My skin was peeling for weeks after the cold, dry air sapped all the moisture from it and killed the top layers. I didn't even know until days later. If you ride in the winter, look for some kind of clinical-strength moisturizer!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Find a better seat! on the newer ninja's my butt starts hurting around 170 miles.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
See how many hours per day you will be riding and give it a test run.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Take your time. Publish your trip path on here well in advance so the users here can offer to give you a place to stay for the night, and a shower and some grub when you pass their way..

- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #7
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

Exactly, test the hours you are planing to ride. Plan on riding longer than expected. Sometimes you just want to take a day off. Things get tough after 4 hours in the saddle. Plan on riding at night once you get down south. Have tire repair kit with CO2 pump. Change oil, lube chain and check tension. Check break pads and tires. Have both keys, one hidden. RainX your faceshield. Sun protection. Might want to pick up one of those handlebar clips so that you can use the throttle without gripping the grips.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #8
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Find a better seat! on the newer ninja's my butt starts hurting around 170 miles.
I honestly can't do more than 1 minute without my pants.
My globular objects actually get killed

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #9
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Get yourself a throttle lock, or cruise control. I have two of these.... work great.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Off-Recr...0787132&sr=8-2

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

$.50 rubber O-ring from your local hardware store would serve the same function as throttle lock..

Find a secure tank bag that you can rest against for the long hours of riding.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Go for it. Let us know where/when you are passing through as Im sure folks will be more than willing to open their doors to you.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #12
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Good luck and best wishes.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #13
pucktoplay1
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Take two weeks and really enjoy the ride.

Always check to the weather.

Bring a pump with you.
I'll meet you in the middle at 10.5 days
------------------------------------

And thanks for all the input guys. I am going to order a tank bag next week and I'l be sure to add the throttle lock to the list. Probably going with the cheap cramp buster since i'm on a tight budget. I found a good deal on a gps on ebay and that should be coming soon. I don't know if I'll be able to afford a more comfortable seat though. Those things are way more expensive than I thought they were. Might have to just settle with that monkey butt powder. I really do want to enjoy the journey and not feel like I have to rush. I am bringing my camera and plan on taking a lot of pictures. I had an urge to buy a Replay XD HD to mount in my helmet and document the trip but I got the gps so I don't think that will happen. I can't spend another 200-300 on an action cam. Thanks for the suggestions/offers about giving me places to stay but my parents already said they would pay for the motels. btw.. How much are motels once I start getting into the more rural areas? I would assume they would be cheaper than in NY right?
pucktoplay1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #14
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucktoplay1 View Post
I'll meet you in the middle at 10.5 days
------------------------------------

And thanks for all the input guys. I am going to order a tank bag next week and I'l be sure to add the throttle lock to the list. Probably going with the cheap cramp buster since i'm on a tight budget. I found a good deal on a gps on ebay and that should be coming soon. I don't know if I'll be able to afford a more comfortable seat though. Those things are way more expensive than I thought they were. Might have to just settle with that monkey butt powder. I really do want to enjoy the journey and not feel like I have to rush. I am bringing my camera and plan on taking a lot of pictures. I had an urge to buy a Replay XD HD to mount in my helmet and document the trip but I got the gps so I don't think that will happen. I can't spend another 200-300 on an action cam. Thanks for the suggestions/offers about giving me places to stay but my parents already said they would pay for the motels. btw.. How much are motels once I start getting into the more rural areas? I would assume they would be cheaper than in NY right?
Here's a little nugget of wisdom. In remote areas, many times motels have tons of rooms just sitting there - so that means a lot of places are open to a little bargaining. If you hit them up at the right time, $69.95 a night turns in $45. The couple runing the Red Roof in off the highway in Cisco TX, would rather knock off a few bucks on the rate to fill a room than not get anything at all.

As a sidenote, check out advrider.com before you take off. That site is all about trips like you are planning. Dont underestimate the capacity of the motorcycle community to go out of their way to help a fellow rider, even one they have never met before.

Finally, if you are passing through or staying in the D.C. area and need anything, feel free to hit me up.

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #15
bungie4
IBA # 44620

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ninja EX250F, 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300

I do a lot of LD riding on the FJR, last year alone I racked up over 50Km.

You've got some pretty good tips here but I'll add.

1: Keep your ass clean and dry. No joke! Buy a small container of baby wipes. Or if your pressed for space throw about 10 of them in a ziploc bag. You'll know when its time to use them. This is especially true of the Ninja's seat which isn't very wide and you carry a lot of weight in a very small area.

2: The biggest secret about putting on miles is 'No seams'. If your underwear, pants, over pants or whatever, finds you sitting on seams, your going to be VERY unhappy. I love the LDComfort stuff but it's pricy. Bicycle shorts are relatively cheap and available everywhere. The worst thing to do is ride in cotton/tighty whiteys and jeans. I usually ride in LDComforts, a pair of light track pants (no seams!) and riding/over pants. I'm all day good with this setup.

3: Stay hydrated. Don't stop and gulp water, that will just make you whiz. Better to wear a camel back and just sip away at it.

4: Get comfortable standing on the pegs for a short distance at Hwy speeds.

5: ANY little irritant you notice on a short trip will be magnified 1000x on a long trip. Boots to tight? Some gear flapping in the wind? Pressure points from your helmet? All these things will find you miserable at the end of the day.

6: Food. While grabbing a burger for lunch sounds appealing don't do it! You'll find greasy foods will make you 'crash' mid-afternoon. Better to eat a light lunch and get the calories at dinner time.

6: Pace. Some days you can ride all day, 500 - 800 miles in a day, no problem, other days, you'll think your sick or something because after a few days you'll feel done at 100 miles. Theirs no shame in taking a 'down' day.

Otherwise, it's a case of 'Sit there, Twist that' and above all else, ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE.

-Steve
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
Here's a little nugget of wisdom. In remote areas, many times motels have tons of rooms just sitting there - so that means a lot of places are open to a little bargaining. If you hit them up at the right time, $69.95 a night turns in $45. The couple runing the Red Roof in off the highway in Cisco TX, would rather knock off a few bucks on the rate to fill a room than not get anything at all.

As a sidenote, check out advrider.com before you take off. That site is all about trips like you are planning. Dont underestimate the capacity of the motorcycle community to go out of their way to help a fellow rider, even one they have never met before.

Finally, if you are passing through or staying in the D.C. area and need anything, feel free to hit me up.
I tried this in Junction, TX back in 2008 and couldn't get a certain jackass to budge from $60 (normally $70) even though every other place I stayed during the trip was under $50. It was a few days before Christmas, which is a busy travel period, but an unsold room is an unsold room. It was 11PM (check-in time) and it was too late to sell the room to anyone else and I made that clear to him but he didn't listen. He thought I wouldn't find someplace else, refused to even acknowledge that there were more places further down, etc, but I had my new iPhone 3G and was easily able to look up the next hotel/motel from the parking lot. After calling them and getting the price ($45), I walked back in and gave the first guy the opportunity to price-match. He still tried to get $55 or something stupid so I told him that I was serious and was only willing to stay for the same price as his competitor. "I can't afford that" is an out-right lie because $45 is infinitely more than $0. I had to gear back up and ride off in the freezing cold so that he'll learn how to barter better in the future.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #17
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I tried this in Junction, TX back in 2008 and couldn't get a certain jackass to budge from $60 (normally $70) even though every other place I stayed during the trip was under $50. It was a few days before Christmas, which is a busy travel period, but an unsold room is an unsold room. It was 11PM (check-in time) and it was too late to sell the room to anyone else and I made that clear to him but he didn't listen. He thought I wouldn't find someplace else, refused to even acknowledge that there were more places further down, etc, but I had my new iPhone 3G and was easily able to look up the next hotel/motel from the parking lot. After calling them and getting the price ($45), I walked back in and gave the first guy the opportunity to price-match. He still tried to get $55 or something stupid so I told him that I was serious and was only willing to stay for the same price as his competitor. "I can't afford that" is an out-right lie because $45 is infinitely more than $0. I had to gear back up and ride off in the freezing cold so that he'll learn how to barter better in the future.
Lol, yeah morons (the clerk) abound in all facets of life. At least you got a story out of the experience and saved $10.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #18
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I don't know what your mileage will be but figuring on at most 2700 miles one way and taking six days would be an average of 450 miles a day. That would be a very nice and pretty relaxing pace.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote